Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Life of Pi released today - you watching it?

Old 02-01-2013, 13:05
Granny McSmith
Forum Member

Well I got that there was a boy, a boat and a lot of water, too. But that was about it.

The trailer I saw really didn't show any tiny detail of story - and yes, I was paying attention, thank you. I concentrated on the tiger because that was really all the trailer seemed to focus on. Other than that, all I really got was "this film will have some spectacular 3D scenes in it."

The trailer told me absolutely nothing about the story. The only thing it told me was this was somehow a film I should be really paying attention to. That's what made it worse. It really made the point that this was an "event film," so far from not watching closely - in fact, it convinced me to pay attention. But I still ended up none the wiser.

Sorry if I offended anyone enough that they needed to question my attention span when responding to my post.
And I'm very sorry if I offended you with my post. You should know me well enough by now not to take my posts seriously! I was only teasing you, no criticism intended.
Granny McSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 02-01-2013, 19:43
Scubamonkey
Forum Member

whedon247;63304575]oh ok,thats fair enough

i guess i just wanted the tiger to look back too

so what happened for real? did he spend that time with the tiger really?
Spoiler
Scubamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 20:08
TheToonArmy
Forum Member

Well I got that there was a boy, a boat and a lot of water, too. But that was about it.

The trailer I saw really didn't show any tiny detail of story - and yes, I was paying attention, thank you. I concentrated on the tiger because that was really all the trailer seemed to focus on. Other than that, all I really got was "this film will have some spectacular 3D scenes in it."

The trailer told me absolutely nothing about the story. The only thing it told me was this was somehow a film I should be really paying attention to. That's what made it worse. It really made the point that this was an "event film," so far from not watching closely - in fact, it convinced me to pay attention. But I still ended up none the wiser.

Sorry if I offended anyone enough that they needed to question my attention span when responding to my post.
My original comment stands, watch it again.

You may have watched teaser trailers which tend to concentrate on parts of the film.

Try this one, it may help

Life of PI
TheToonArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:18
MrKingfisher
Forum Member

oh ok,thats fair enough

i guess i just wanted the tiger to look back too

I'd recommend getting your hands on the book, read it, then watch the film again and decide what you think happened
MrKingfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:38
whedon247
Forum Member

Spoiler
hum very interesting, i like to believe the tiger story

think i may well get the book to like above poster suggests
whedon247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 14:03
Tal'shiar
Forum Member

I went to see it with the Christmas Family Film thing we do every year.

I nearly broke my jaw as I was yawning so much. Dear god it was truly awful.

It was like going on a ride in an amusement park. The whole time I kept thinking "I ****ing hate this world". Haha, over dramatic, but it was the same reaction when I saw Avatar.

No one claims a good book would be better with pop out pictures, ergh, 3d is entirely the wrong way to take filming. Its a tacky add on that appeals to the mentally subnormal. I hate it, I hate those who like it, and I hate the guy who kept talking loudly on his phone to his girlfriend about the film whilst it was playing. He sucks the most.
Tal'shiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 20:11
CELT1987
Forum Member

Saw the film today, was impressed with the 3D. Loved the tiger. Though the meerkats were great.
CELT1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:39
Inkblot
Forum Member

Saw it yesterday. Enjoyed it a lot. It's just a good story, well told.

But the 3D is just as disappointing as ever. I went in hoping to be wowed and the best I can say is that it was the best use of 3D I've seen, but it still didn't add more to the film than it took away. The disadvantage of reduced brightness and increased blurriness is greater than the advantage of increased depth and more imaginative layering of images.

I appreciate Lee's brilliance in using 3D as part of the creative process but the finished product is still less enjoyable than a well-directed 2D film. And if anyone's seen Searching For Sugarman, wasn't the storm sequence in that so much more effective than the one in Pi? No 3D, no special effects, just a really convincing soundtrack and beautiful visuals.
Inkblot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 16:31
brangdon
Forum Member

People have complained that the ending feels tacked on, comes out of nowhere etc, but in the book, the last chapter contains the same ending as the film, but is told over only a few pages, so the ending of the film is in keeping with the ending of the book.
I thought it made a bigger difference in the film because we were merely told it. It wasn't shown. That made it less credible.

As to which version I believe: it seemed to me that the early parts of the film emphasised not having to choose. He believed in multiple religions, he never said goodbye to his girlfriend, he did not close off possibilities. So I suppose we're supposed to believe both versions of the story. (Or neither: in real life, neither happened.)

The bit with the tiger was implausible, but the bit with the floating island impossible. When I was reading the book, I thought the narrator had got sick and started hallucinating at that point.
brangdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 21:12
stateless

I went to see it with the Christmas Family Film thing we do every year.

I nearly broke my jaw as I was yawning so much. Dear god it was truly awful.

It was like going on a ride in an amusement park. The whole time I kept thinking "I ****ing hate this world". Haha, over dramatic, but it was the same reaction when I saw Avatar.
And there was me thinking that it raised core philosophical questions.
stateless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 21:57
PorkSausage
Forum Member

Just seen it and really enjoyed. So did my 9 yr old son,

In answer to your question:

Spoiler

I think...
PorkSausage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 07:57
pete137
Forum Member

Im confused at one thing - why did he build the second raft before he knew the tiger was on the boat. Unless im mistaken, at the start wasnt it only the Hyena who was a danger to Pi, and he would have been pretty easy to kill or push out of the boat ?
pete137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 23:07
koantemplation
Forum Member

Im confused at one thing - why did he build the second raft before he knew the tiger was on the boat. Unless im mistaken, at the start wasnt it only the Hyena who was a danger to Pi, and he would have been pretty easy to kill or push out of the boat ?
Well, firstly it depends if you believe the animals were real or if they were his mind protecting him from the reality of who the animals really represented.
koantemplation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 15:43
TheBilly
Inactive Member

I saw this, but not in 3D. Wasn't great.
TheBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 20:37
brangdon
Forum Member

The hyena was quite dangerous, and very aggressive.
brangdon is offline   Reply With Quote