Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

What is the biggest shock in Oscar history?

Old 13-01-2013, 18:37
Muttley76
Forum Member

Was just about to say the same - Fiennes losing out to Tommy Lee Jones was a real shock to me - have never forgiven TLJ
yes, because clearly it's his fault that the academy voted for him!
Muttley76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 13-01-2013, 18:48
ASIFZED
Forum Member

For me, it was the goddawful 'A Beautiful Mind', winning Best Picture over The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring for the 2001 Oscars. Shocking....
ASIFZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 18:53
Muttley76
Forum Member

For me, it was the goddawful 'A Beautiful Mind', winning Best Picture over The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring for the 2001 Oscars. Shocking....
In fairness, it's fairly evident that the big awards given to return of the king were intended as recognition for the trilogy as a whole.
Old 13-01-2013, 19:15
ASIFZED
Forum Member

In fairness, it's fairly evident that the big awards given to return of the king were intended as recognition for the trilogy as a whole.
Can see that. But still doesn't take away from it being a poor choice as Best Picture winner, in my opinion.
ASIFZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 20:48
rawbob
Forum Member

none of the LOTR films deserved best picture
rawbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 01:52
guestofseth
Forum Member

I sincerely hope that doesn't happen. I'll certainly consider it a shock if Hathaway doesn't win.
I hope it doesn't happen either, although I haven't seen the film yet, but I have the tiniest feeling it could happen.

She was excellent in All About Eve, but I preferred Gloria Swanson's performance in Sunset Boulevard. Still, I agree that Bette Davis deserved it over Judy Holliday's performance in Born Yesterday. Certainly an eye opener if not a shock.
I never got the love for Sunset Boulevard , whereas All About Eve is my all time favourite film, so obviously I preferred Bette Davis. I imagine it was case of the two of them splitting the vote, allowing Judy Holliday to come in and take it.
guestofseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 02:35
scatcatcathy
Forum Member

Yes, there have been quite a few of those. Al Pacino is one that springs to mind.
The film chaplin was a bit all over the place but Downey was robbed,he also had the misfortune to be nominated against a dead man the next time(heath r.i.p ledger) he will probably get a special one when hes ancient for not being dead.! Love al pacino but didnt like scent of a woman.
scatcatcathy is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 04:44
gav016

I think every year you get a few shocking snubs in terms of nominations - Ben Affleck & Kathryn Bigelow for director and Marion Cotillard & Leonardo DiCapri for Actress and Supporting Actor this year were total lunacy.

In terms of a win, Crash comes to mind as the only thing shocking really recently, although personally I preferred Crash and was quite pleased with that result. And I don't think it was a 'shock', but I think Meryl Streep beating Viola Davis last year wasn't the best result in the world.
gav016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 08:12
Parthenon
Forum Member

Not the biggest ever, but Kate Winslet winning for the Reader was a bit of a 'crap, she's been nominated 6 times for better films we better hurry and give it to her'. Her performance in Revolutionary Road in the same year was far superior. BUT she should have won for Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. She was amazing in that.
I think she was amazing in all three. (Big Kate fan)

I was pretty shocked to see Denzel Washington win for 'Training Day', but that's mainly because I thought Russel Crowe had it in the bag.
Parthenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 09:14
little-monster
Forum Member

Imo, Catherine deserved it for Chicago, her performance is one of my all time favs by a supporting actress. However, Catherine has never done anything anywhere near amazing since Chicago so her oscar win was more of a curse than a blessing for her. It can go either way for a winner.
little-monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 12:18
Nattie01
Forum Member

ET winning over Blade Runner in the Best Visual Effects category.

Inception winning over Tron Legacy in the same category.

Daft Punk not even getting a nomination for their score for Tron Legacy.
Nattie01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 16:03
Tigerpaws
Forum Member

I think she was amazing in all three. (Big Kate fan)

I was pretty shocked to see Denzel Washington win for 'Training Day', but that's mainly because I thought Russel Crowe had it in the bag.
He apparently did but his antics at the Baftas cost him.

I have read Denzels was a bit of a recognition of previous work and that he should have won for Malcolm X.
Tigerpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 22:20
sw2963
Forum Member

Forrest Gump winning Best Picture over Pulp Fiction.
sw2963 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 23:21
Apple_Crumble
Forum Member

Forrest Gump seems to be one of those films that is barely mentioned when I talk about past films with friends.
Apple_Crumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 23:38
Muttley76
Forum Member

Forrest Gump seems to be one of those films that is barely mentioned when I talk about past films with friends.
I think it's only a shock retrospectively, it certianly wasn't a shock that it won at the time, it was totally expected. But when you look back and see it was up against Shawshank and Pulp Fiction, arguably the two definitive films of the whole decade, it does look like an odd choice.
Old 14-01-2013, 23:48
Donald Dallas
Forum Member

I think it's only a shock retrospectively, it certianly wasn't a shock that it won at the time, it was totally expected. But when you look back and see it was up against Shawshank and Pulp Fiction, arguably the two definitive films of the whole decade, it does look like an odd choice.
Agreed. I don't like Gump, but at the time, the general consensus was that it was brilliant.

Pulp Fiction was also highly regarded and many argued that it should have won.

Shawshank, on the other hand - was quite obscure. It was only when released on VHS that it picked up strong word of mouth following and became regarded as an all time great.
Donald Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 00:43
Trsvis_Bickle
Inactive Member

Yes, a ridiculous decision. I guess the Academy preferred a folksy schmaltz fest about how great the US is over something genuinely innovative but subversive. History has shown that Pulp Fiction is by far the better film. Does ANYONE ever watch Forrest Gump anymore?
Trsvis_Bickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 00:53
Matt D
Forum Member

I've always hated that Titanic beat LA Confidential, which IMO was far more deserving of the big awards. Never considered it a shock, though.
Matt D is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 01:45
slappers r us
Forum Member

Gwynneth Paltrow winning over Cate Blanchett

in fact, Gwynneth Paltrow even being nominated

dreadful performance...if that wasn't a fix, nothing was
I feel your pain

Rocky winning best picture and beating All The Presidents Men and Taxi Driver

Cuba Gooding Jr winning for Jerry Maguire over Edward Norton in Primal Fear

Slumdog Millionaire over Benjamin Button
slappers r us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 03:19
SuperAPJ
Forum Member

I was pretty shocked to see Denzel Washington win for 'Training Day'
I remember reading a tabloid or columnist's view that said it was necessary for the Americans to honour Denzel and Halle Berry that year, as a show of post-9/11 cultural unity. Zzzz.
SuperAPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 03:29
Dizzle
Forum Member

Inception winning over Tron Legacy in the same category.

Daft Punk not even getting a nomination for their score for Tron Legacy.
TRON: Legacy was very hard done by that year in the technical categories. Just one nomination in bloody Sound Editing? What a joke.
Dizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 06:48
dee123
Forum Member

Was stunned they gave Roman Polanski best director for The Pianist, you'd think the whole he raped a 13 year old thing may have been an issue.
But that was because of not awarding his previously. Like so many others before him. Hence why Al Pacino won for crap like Scent of a Woman.
dee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 06:52
dee123
Forum Member

Even though I loved Bridesmaids and Melissa McCarthy I was a little bit surprised to see her get an Oscar nomination, she was very good in the film but would you call it Oscar worthy?
Yep. People seem to forget too that Depp was nominated for the 1st Pirates movie.

However i think the Oscars bring this on themselves. They usually completely ignore Sci Fi, Comedy & Horror no matter how good it is. So it comes as a surprise when someone is nominated.
dee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 11:19
gashead
Forum Member

Jim Carrey not even being nominated for The Truman Show. Mind you, 1999 was a very tough year in the Actors category.

Not exactly a shock as such, but I've always thought that if Tarantino released Reservoir Dogs these days, Tim Roth's performance would be praised and possibly nominated. I can only think it was because the film and director were relatively, if not completely, un-known back in 1992 that the film was ignored.
gashead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 13:49
Trsvis_Bickle
Inactive Member

I've always hated that Titanic beat LA Confidential, which IMO was far more deserving of the big awards. Never considered it a shock, though.
No, not a shock - there was so much hype around Titanic that people seemd to overlook the fact that it was a cliched love story with a CGI-fest at the end. LA Confidential was a brilliant revival of the 1940s cop genre yet got only a token Oscar for Kim Basinger IIRC. I think that the recent release of Gangster Squad has reminded eveyone just how good LA Confidential is.
Trsvis_Bickle is offline   Reply With Quote