Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Lewis - New Series

Old 15-01-2013, 00:48
catsitter
Forum Member

Missed it! Totally forgot it was on, can anyone tell me what happened please?
I'll put in spoiler tags just in case anyone comes on this thread before watching it for some reason:

Spoiler
catsitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 15-01-2013, 01:11
malcy30
Forum Member

I did mention after last week's episode;

I noticed Leslie Vickerage had a "bit part" as Mrs Dutta in this episode. She was "high profile" at one time, (female lead in "Between the Lines") so I think we might be seeing more of her in part 2.
Definitely she was my teenage fantasy in series 1 of Between the Lines She had a fantastic figure in those days and didn't mind getting them out

She has had occasionally parts since then like the girlfriend in Inspector Lynley. Don't know if she stopped working to have a family, as has been in a number of shows in the last couple of years after a long absence.
malcy30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 01:34
Caxton
Forum Member

Personally, I don't like the programme being split in two. It ruins it for me. I could watch the full 2 hours and fast forward through the adverts....maybe that's why they did it???
Was glad I Sky + last weeks started watching it at 8.30 skipped the ads and then started watching tonight's episode immediately afterwards again skipping the ads and the long intro showing a few minutes of last weeks programme again as a reminder. Two hours reduced to probably 1hr 20 minutes of Lewis.
Caxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 02:35
Night Owl
Forum Member

I'll put in spoiler tags just in case anyone comes on this thread before watching it for some reason:

Spoiler
Thank you catsitter
Night Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 09:31
Shrike
Forum Member

Was glad I Sky + last weeks started watching it at 8.30 skipped the ads and then started watching tonight's episode immediately afterwards again skipping the ads and the long intro showing a few minutes of last weeks programme again as a reminder. Two hours reduced to probably 1hr 20 minutes of Lewis.
I always record and zap the ads anyway, but will watch the next story all in one as I was struggling to remember what was happening and who was who from last week. I suspect the programme wasn't made with being in two parts in mind.
Shrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 10:33
Charenton
Forum Member

I didn't like the two episode format either. Will record them next week and save 30 minutes by FF the adverts.

In addition, for those of us who ears don't work as well as they should, last night's subtitling effort by ITV was woeful. For the first 7-8 minutes I would bet my pension they were transmitting the subtitles from last week's episode. As soon as the programme started subtitles appeared over the introduction. You read Lewis reminding Hathaway to remove his CD from the car after the traffic accident at one point. Then the subtitles stopped altogether and were replaced with a pop up every couple of minutes apologising for the lack of subtitles. When they eventually reappeared the subtitles were about 5 seconds late. You had to make the choice of reading the subtitles, lip reading or turning the sound up so all the neighbours could hear. I chose the latter.

However, ITV got their priorities right when the adverts were on, all the ads with subtitles were spot on.

All in all this first Lewis story of the new series left a lot to be desired.

Pity ITV don't concentrate their efforts on their programmes rather than a new Logo.
Charenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 11:55
HHGTTG
Forum Member

Loved the two episode format. Can't abide 2 long drawn out hours of Lewis. Hate the intrusive Phelong music. It spoils the series but so does most music that seems to accompany virtually every TV programmes. Hate the extended introductory titles with THAT music which seems like an eternity.
HHGTTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 12:20
haphash
Forum Member

I enjoyed it although I probably would have prefered one long episode. How was the drug taken from the riding school tied in? or wasn't it?

I must be the only one here who likes the noodling music - I find it quite atmospheric.

Its a great shame they are ending this series. I would love to see more of Hathaway.
haphash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 12:26
Verence
Forum Member

I enjoyed it although I probably would have prefered one long episode. How was the drug taken from the riding school tied in? or wasn't it?
Spoiler
Verence is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 12:29
holly berry
Forum Member

Spoiler
holly berry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 13:08
phil solo
Forum Member

Definitely she was my teenage fantasy in series 1 of Between the Lines She had a fantastic figure in those days and didn't mind getting them out
There was so much rampant "bed action" in that series, much of it involving Vickerage's character (WPC Jenny Dean) that the show got the nickname "Between the Loins"
phil solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 13:39
Granny McSmith
Forum Member

Spoiler
Spoiler

Re the music - most of the time I don't actually notice it. When I do, I like it. it seems just right for conveying the atmosphere of the show.
Granny McSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 00:11
jsmith99
Forum Member

Wasn't it fortunate that
Spoiler

Or did I miss something?
jsmith99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 17:09
anthony david
Forum Member

I always record and zap the ads anyway, but will watch the next story all in one as I was struggling to remember what was happening and who was who from last week. I suspect the programme wasn't made with being in two parts in mind.
I agree and will do the same, splitting it over two consecutive nights would have been ok but over a week is ridiculous. Squandering ratings by putting it up against Miranda/Mrs Brown was a serious scheduling error that advertisers won't like either.
anthony david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 09:55
Yvie123
Forum Member

I agree and will do the same, splitting it over two consecutive nights would have been ok but over a week is ridiculous. Squandering ratings by putting it up against Miranda/Mrs Brown was a serious scheduling error that advertisers won't like either.
Crazy isn't it?
Splitting the episodes and putting it up against the BBC's comedy hour is almost encouraging viewers to record it and skip the adverts.
The only downside for me is that I'll have to wait two weeks before watching the next episode because I'll want to watch it in it's entirety.
I wonder what made the schedulers do it this way? It's as though they're treating one of their rare gems with contempt.
Yvie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 10:59
radioanorak
Forum Member

So Glad to read that Kevin has told the Oxford Mail newspaper that another series will start filming in 2014
Kevin is now 61 so his Lewis character should be in retirement
radioanorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 11:10
Inkblot
Forum Member

I

Barry Pheloung's background music gets worse each time.
Constant repetitive "noodling" of not much more than four long notes.
Dreadful!
Yes. It was part of the old format that began with Morse: long, drawn-out episodes with not much action and long, rambling pieces of incidental music to set the tone. Thinking about it, whenever there was any real excitement in Morse, they would play Wagner or Mozart instead and the pace would pick up considerably. Moving Lewis to one-hour episodes would have been the ideal time to drop the Pheloung music and bring in something a bit jauntier.
Inkblot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 21:46
Libitina
Forum Member

Does anyone know what brand the brown leather notebook was please?
Libitina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 23:23
davie1924
Forum Member

Can someone clear this up for me - at the end of the first episode, when both detectives were chasing the girl, did she just happen to run into a group of joggers, who, themselves, just happened to contain a girl in a hoodie, carrying a needle containing poison as she merrily jogged on, or did I completely miss something?
I sincerely hope I did, because, if not, I don't think I can take the programme seriously ever again.
davie1924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 00:46
fredsnail
Forum Member

Does anyone know what brand the brown leather notebook was please?
I think (although my memory is terrible) that it was the victims appointment book with the initials of people who'd booked him.
fredsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 00:53
skp20040
Forum Member

She has had occasionally parts since then like the girlfriend in Inspector Lynley. Don't know if she stopped working to have a family, as has been in a number of shows in the last couple of years after a long absence.
She went from between the Lines to a main character in Soldier Soldier , then after Lynley she ahs been on screen regularly but in lesser roles it would seem
skp20040 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 19:25
alfster
Forum Member

I would have thought Kevin Whatley has less options. No disrespect to the guy, but he is soon going to be too old for leading man material. So being in a series where your character, Lewis is actually in the title is no bad thing. I don't see Kevin Whatley being in anything as big again. It will be guest staring parts like he was in George Gently last year.
Whately has been wondering for a fews years whether he should carry on. Part of is thoughts about carrying on has been that there are people who get employed to the make the show and rely on him for some yearly work...how about that for a nice thing to think about in why you carry on - thinking about the effect on others.

But he has said he's been playing the role (not every year though) for 25years.

He was unsure of doing the Lewis series in the first place as he wasn;t sure he could step into Thaw's shoes as it were or whether the series would be good.

I think he has been great and the series have been as good as Morse.
alfster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 22:42
striing
Forum Member

I like the new sidekick. Can't think where I've seen him before though.
striing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 22:55
j'aimelatele
Forum Member

Somehow i am missing Hathaway...dont like it without him...loved the reference to Morse earlier on..
j'aimelatele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 23:10
holly berry
Forum Member

I think it works just as well without Fox. Wonder what that notebook found by the alcy dad contains ...
holly berry is offline   Reply With Quote