Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Adele: Golden Globes. Really Adele, just popped out...knees up mother brown!!!

Old 14-01-2013, 23:41
misslibertine
Forum Member

I wonder what sort of welcome Adele will get at the Brit awards this year.
I think they'll be rolling out the red carpet for her in an attempt to make up for last year.
misslibertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 15-01-2013, 01:55
whatever54
Forum Member

congratulations Adele, seems a nice down to earth girl. Taylor Swift's face was a picture. When I think of her competition she seems so much more classy. Doesn't post her every move on twitter, write silly open letters, constantly seek attention. I like Adele lots knocks spots off the others IMO (except Paloma I like her, she's good too)
whatever54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 04:01
PunksNotDead
Forum Member

You're absolutely right. For a genuine cockney accent they need look no further than Dick van Dyke's "Bert" in Mary Poppins.
PunksNotDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 10:04
Bungitin
Forum Member

Sorry I don't understand the OP's post.

It must be the accent it has been typed in.

Bungitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 12:22
Bergy87
Forum Member

Adele is a major credit to this country. So the OP doesn't like her accent..whoopy-do! Not many celebrities manage to keep their private lives private, leave her be. She's proud of her roots and so she should be Keep it up Adele!!
Bergy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 12:39
sheila blige
Forum Member

Is it Jon Richardson who said she sounds like she's singing about "Scaffold" ?
It was! I thought that was funny - I still can't listen to the song without hearing Scaffold instead of Skyfall.
sheila blige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 12:43
sheila blige
Forum Member

You're absolutely right. For a genuine cockney accent they need look no further than Dick van Dyke's "Bert" in Mary Poppins.
And for a genuine Manchester accent they need look no further than Jane Leeves in Frasier. I suppose Van Dyke had an excuse for his 'somewhat lacking' Cockney accent. Not sure what excuse Jane Leeves has as she's English.
Old 15-01-2013, 12:45
konebyvax
Forum Member

And for a genuine Manchester accent they need look no further than Jane Leeves in Frasier. I suppose Van Dyke had an excuse for his 'somewhat lacking' Cockney accent. Not sure what excuse Jane Leeves has as she's English.

Isn't she from Surrey though?
konebyvax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 12:49
bettemidler
Forum Member

I used to live with a girl who grew up down the road from Adele an she talked exactly the same.
bettemidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 12:53
sheila blige
Forum Member

Isn't she from Surrey though?
She is certainly from down south - but why didn't she just suggest that her character speak with a London or southern accent - instead of putting on the appalling accent she does? Her Manchester accent is without doubt the WORST accent ever on TV or film (yes - even worse thank Dickie's Cockney accent).
Old 15-01-2013, 13:13
marobby
Forum Member

everone knows it's muvvah brahn
marobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 13:27
Kalmia
Forum Member

She's a singer, not a narrator or voice actor. Who cares what her speaking voice is like? I'm not a fan of Adele or her music but she's done so well all over the world. Criticising her accent seems such a pointless thing to do.
Kalmia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 13:27
wildhollie
Forum Member

Adele is a major credit to this country. So the OP doesn't like her accent..whoopy-do! Not many celebrities manage to keep their private lives private, leave her be. She's proud of her roots and so she should be Keep it up Adele!!
Totally agree, why do people feel the need to put down other people like this, and for such a pathetic reason too ?

She has immense talent and doesn't feel the need to parade her private life all over the papers/media like some other so called celebs....!!
wildhollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 13:45
j4Rose
Forum Member

I'm glad I wasn't the only one cringing! She sounded like a market stall holder flogging a pound of apples!
I like Adele but she does have an embarrassing awful speaking voice.
j4Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 14:28
CBFreak
Forum Member

I found her speech refreshing and honest. If she "put up a voice" I would have lost respect for her.
CBFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 14:37
misslibertine
Forum Member

I found her speech refreshing and honest. If she "put up a voice" I would have lost respect for her.
And you can only imagine the amount of posts there'd be bringing her down if she did that instead!
misslibertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 14:40
CBFreak
Forum Member

And you can only imagine the amount of posts there'd be bringing her down if she did that instead!
Yikes I'm scared just thinking about that possibility.
CBFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 15:05
Betty Britain

She doesn't sound that cultured.
She doesn't need to sound cultured ( does that mean posh?) she is a very talented music writer and singer and I love the fact she hasn't gone all FAKE and posh to please others..she has stayed true to her roots and herself
Betty Britain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 16:43
fruitloop27
Forum Member

Nothing wrong with a regional/London accent [especially as one doesn't speak in dulcet tones, oneself ]. But.... in my very humble pleb-like opinion, Ms Adele overdoes it a bit. No disrespect otherwise implied
I'm with you on this one. Her speech was lovely but she overeggs the pudding, so to speak.
fruitloop27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 16:47
Zone_Out
Forum Member

Do people still actually talk like that in London? Can she not talk with a little effort to sound better? I feel embarrassed that the rest of the world thinks we all talk like that from London.

Oh, and we really believe you just happened to pop out with a mate and end up at the Golden Globes with an award in your hand.
`i`m sure some might find your accent an embarrassment tbh
just like this thread
Zone_Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 19:22
Scarlett Berry
Forum Member

I'm with you on this one. Her speech was lovely but she overeggs the pudding, so to speak.
I agree
Scarlett Berry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 19:52
Lilaeth
Forum Member

Anyone got a link to the Taylor Swift 'face'??

If that's the way Adele speaks, then that's the way she speaks. Actually, she speaks like my mate Terry, and he's from Norf Lahndan. But think of the sh*t she'd be getting if she'd tried adopting a different accent?
Lilaeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 19:55
konebyvax
Forum Member

Anyone got a link to the Taylor Swift 'face'??

If that's the way Adele speaks, then that's the way she speaks. Actually, she speaks like my mate Terry, and he's from Norf Lahndan. But think of the sh*t she'd be getting if she'd tried adopting a different accent?

http://img.perezhilton.com/wp-conten...01/2ewcp4p.gif

One 'indulged', sore loser right there
konebyvax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 19:57
Lilaeth
Forum Member

Hahahahahaha! Excellent! There's something about Ms Swift that I don't like. That just sums it up!
Lilaeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 20:07
whatever54
Forum Member

I love it, the wry smile but seething inside. Moments like this are my fave bit of these award shows
whatever54 is offline   Reply With Quote