Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Do you think Anne Hathaway is going to win her first Oscar?

View Poll Results: Do you think Anne Hathaway is going to win her first Oscar?
Yes 120 86.33%
No 19 13.67%
Voters: 139. You can't vote on this poll right now - are you signed in?

Old 15-01-2013, 14:55
ImOnlyWee
Forum Member

Yes or No?
I think she gave the best female performance of 2012. Period.
Absolute perfection as both Selina Kyle and Fantine.
I really hope she wins.
ImOnlyWee is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 15-01-2013, 15:06
timebug
Forum Member

I have barely seen the young woman in anything
before,but her moving performance as Fantine
in the film version of 'Les Miserables' blew me
away. A very fine piece of acting and indeed,of
singing too!
timebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 15:27
Revenga
Forum Member

Yes, I have no doubt she will. I actually prefer Sally Field's performance, but Hathaway was brilliant and it would be quite deserving.

If you haven't seen her in Rachel Getting Married, you should. She's even better than in Les Mis.
Revenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 15:30
nh3com
Forum Member

probably but she shouldn’t, she's only in it 3 scenes and i found them rather stupid.

but never underestimate the power of the emperor’s new clothes!
nh3com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 16:10
ImOnlyWee
Forum Member

I probably think you found it stupid because it was rushed? She was there then she was gone, but still managed to give what I thought was the standout performance of the movie.

^^^ Yeah I've seen Rachel Getting Married, thought she was great in it but I think she stood out more for me in Love and Other Drugs,TDKR and Les Mis.
Old 15-01-2013, 16:14
Hit Em Up Style
Inactive Member

I think, and hope, she will. She is fast becoming the stand out actress of her generation. Not bad for a Disney Princess.
Hit Em Up Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 16:19
Mr_Eye
Inactive Member

She probably will - I suspect the only person who could realistically challenge her is Sally Field.
Mr_Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 16:19
shelleyj89
Forum Member

probably but she shouldn’t, she's only in it 3 scenes and i found them rather stupid.

You found them rather stupid? In what sense?!
shelleyj89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 16:52
little-monster
Forum Member

100 per cent yes. Her performance has been my favourite throughout the whole award season. Even a lot better than most of the performances from the Best actresses categor. She's in it for 20 minutes and people seem to be moaning, although that is why she is classed as a supporting, not a lead. Her performance was beautiful, moving and just full of so many different emotions. It is a role very dear to her heart as at the age of 8, she watched her mother (a former stage actress) take on the role. She isn't in it for very long, but that is the point of her character's story and even by the closing credits, her performance still sticks in your mind.

I am for respecting people's opinions but how anyone can class her scenes as "stupid", clearly doesn't understand what Les Miserables is all about, and they clearly don't see such fantastic acting. I bet there idea of fantastic acting is watching Hollyoaks.
little-monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 18:33
Sick n Sexified
Forum Member

YES. I can't get over how amazing she was in Les Mis.

I knew she was something special when I saw Love And Other Drugs, a bad film that I was initially only going to watch for naked Jake Gyllenhaal. But she completely shone in it, there's just something so watch-able about her.
Sick n Sexified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 19:51
Ginger Nut
Forum Member

Yes. She cut off her hair. Oooooh the sacrifice. A shoe in.
Ginger Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 20:15
Ethel_Fred
Forum Member

That's the reason she's almost certain to receive the best SUPPORTING actress Oscar
Ethel_Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 20:28
alfster
Forum Member

Looks like she's done more than Judi Dench did to win the same award for Shakespeare in Love.

Yes. She cut off her hair. Oooooh the sacrifice. A shoe in.
Hathaway lost a stupid amount of weight for the part.

And then had to sing for 10 to 12hours per day on set.

There was virtually no ADR on the film. They sang live with live music on set - no pre-recorded tracks all on set and everything sang.

She is interviewed by Simon Mayo in the most recent Radio 5 Film Review show and it is an excellent interview. She refuses to say how she lost the weight because she doesn;t want others to do it.

Also, quite a sweet story that she retold when Mayo asked about any Catwoman film.

http://screencrush.com/anne-hathaway-catwoman-update/

Also, Hugh Jackman was basically given the lead role without having to audition but said he said he would audition as he didn;t want any special treatment.

I'll not go and see the film, not my thing, but from what I have heard they all worked damn hard on the filming.
alfster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 20:34
_NiallDEE_
Forum Member

If she doesn't win it I will actually die, most deserved oscar ever imo.
_NiallDEE_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 21:04
degsyhufc
Forum Member

I have barely seen the young woman in anything
before,but her moving performance as Fantine
in the film version of 'Les Miserables' blew me
away. A very fine piece of acting and indeed,of
singing too!
I've seen her in a couple of films but know about others she's been in.
You can't say that she's been typecast.
Goes from a Disney Princess to nude sex scenes - romcoms to dramas - actions to musicals.

Saying that I haven't seen Les Mis or intend to
degsyhufc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 22:09
ImOnlyWee
Forum Member

She probably will - I suspect the only person who could realistically challenge her is Sally Field.
Yeah I think so too!

Also, anyone who hasn't seen Love and Other Drugs should definitely watch it, some great acting from Anne and Jake Gyllenhaal
Old 15-01-2013, 23:23
jaybastastic
Forum Member

There is an oscar for wearing tight leather and for snot and tear production while singing? I never knew.
jaybastastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 00:15
Helbore
Forum Member

Ok, I'm coining Helbore's Law right now. Someone write this one up on Wikipedia. It's kinda like Godwin's Law of Nazi Anaolgies. The gist of it is that whenever you get a thread that involves something that has a popular support - the longer the thread goes on, the more likely someone will end up saying how its "the emperor's new clothes."
Helbore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 01:47
SuperAPJ
Forum Member

Yes, followed by the usual marriage break-up some time afterwards
SuperAPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 09:08
dee123
Forum Member

Looks like she's done more than Judi Dench did to win the same award for Shakespeare in Love.

Hathaway lost a stupid amount of weight for the part.

And then had to sing for 10 to 12hours per day on set.

There was virtually no ADR on the film. They sang live with live music on set - no pre-recorded tracks all on set and everything sang.

She is interviewed by Simon Mayo in the most recent Radio 5 Film Review show and it is an excellent interview. She refuses to say how she lost the weight because she doesn;t want others to do it.

Also, quite a sweet story that she retold when Mayo asked about any Catwoman film.

http://screencrush.com/anne-hathaway-catwoman-update/

Also, Hugh Jackman was basically given the lead role without having to audition but said he said he would audition as he didn;t want any special treatment.

I'll not go and see the film, not my thing, but from what I have heard they all worked damn hard on the filming.
Zzzzzzzzzzzzz. She still doesn't deserve to in.
dee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 11:37
Mystical123
Forum Member

Yes, I do, and I think it'll be a serious injustice if she doesn't win. I haven't seen Lincoln yet, but I don't believe Sally Field could be any more than equally as good as Anne, and she's won two already. Anne is astonishing in Les Mis, steals the movie with only 20 minutes of screentime and gives the best rendition of I Dreamed a Dream I've ever heard, perfect interpretation of the lyrics.

probably but she shouldn’t, she's only in it 3 scenes and i found them rather stupid
She's in it a lot more than Judi Dench was in Shakespeare in Love! Whatever you think of whether she deserves it or not, there's no criterion of a certain amount of screentime for SUPPORTING actress, so that's no reason to say she doesn't deserve it.

Yes, followed by the usual marriage break-up some time afterwards
Wow, charming
Mystical123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 11:40
Fio Montoya
Forum Member

Yes, I think she'll win. It was probably on the cards from the moment everyone heard how she cut her hair off for it, and because the singing is "Raw" and "Real". She annoyed me this year with her ladygarden display which I thought was pathetic and I don't really want her to win, but I have no doubt she will. I just hope she wears underwear.
Fio Montoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 11:40
little-monster
Forum Member

I've seen Sally in Lincoln and she gives a rather abysmal performance, Anne has no problem there. Her main rival is Amy Adams.
little-monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 12:18
rachelright
Forum Member

She's a shoe in to win, she's already won the Golden Globe and if she wins the Bafta I reckon she'll win the Oscar also, plus everyone is saying how amazing she is in the film
rachelright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 12:18
alfster
Forum Member

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz. She still doesn't deserve to in.
Thank you, Mr Troll.
alfster is offline   Reply With Quote