Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Do you think Anne Hathaway is going to win her first Oscar?

View Poll Results: Do you think Anne Hathaway is going to win her first Oscar?
Yes 120 86.33%
No 19 13.67%
Voters: 139. You can't vote on this poll right now - are you signed in?

Old 16-01-2013, 12:24
ImOnlyWee
Forum Member

There is an oscar for wearing tight leather and for snot and tear production while singing? I never knew.
Wow. Ok then.

Maybe she done all those things for her roles but she has given two of the best acting performances of her career, nothing to do with how much weight she lost etc. People need to give credit where it's due. She done an amazing job.

I think Anne attracts alot of hate for no reason, I didn't think there was any on DS, was obviously wrong....

AND I can't believe someone mentioned her up-skirt shot, what's that got to do with it, get over it.
ImOnlyWee is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 16-01-2013, 13:04
jaybastastic
Forum Member

Wow. Ok then.

Maybe she done all those things for her roles but she has given two of the best acting performances of her career, nothing to do with how much weight she lost etc. People need to give credit where it's due. She done an amazing job.

I think Anne attracts alot of hate for no reason, I didn't think there was any on DS, was obviously wrong....

AND I can't believe someone mentioned her up-skirt shot, what's that got to do with it, get over it.
I don't hate her - she is actually excellent when she is kinda parodying some of her earlier performances such as in Alice in Wonderland as the white queen. She is an excellent comedy actor. Talking of which if Anne Hathaway was doing a parody (a la Saturday Night Live) of OTT musicals she would sobs herself silly and croak with emotion on every line.So was Les Miserables parody? My point is this year is not her best ... in the Batman film only the hero and the villain really get a chance to shine. Her performance was fine but not outstanding much like Joseph Gordon-Levitt's . As for les mis it is a marmite drizzled with tears thing.
jaybastastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 13:14
shelleyj89
Forum Member

Have the people who say she doesn't deserve to win seen Les Mis?

Even if I wasn't a fan, if I'd seen the film I don't think I could come away and say she doesn't deserve to win.
shelleyj89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 13:33
ImOnlyWee
Forum Member

I don't hate her - she is actually excellent when she is kinda parodying some of her earlier performances such as in Alice in Wonderland as the white queen. She is an excellent comedy actor. Talking of which if Anne Hathaway was doing a parody (a la Saturday Night Live) of OTT musicals she would sobs herself silly and croak with emotion on every line.So was Les Miserables parody? My point is this year is not her best ... in the Batman film only the hero and the villain really get a chance to shine. Her performance was fine but not outstanding much like Joseph Gordon-Levitt's . As for les mis it is a marmite drizzled with tears thing.
Are you serious?
I will definitely have to disagree with you.
Old 16-01-2013, 14:56
Hound of Love
Forum Member

Wonder if Anne will mention Susan Boyle in her acceptance speech?
Hound of Love is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 17:33
SULLA
Forum Member

probably but she shouldn’t, she's only in it 3 scenes and i found them rather stupid.

but never underestimate the power of the emperor’s new clothes!
You haven't seen the film.

Well deserving of best supporting actress. There is no leading actress in Les Mis.
SULLA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 20:28
Taz93
Forum Member

It's so obvious she will win.

And so will Jessica Chastain.

The other nominees needn't bother turning up because they won't be getting a look in!!

The awards are sooo predictable these days.
Taz93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 20:51
Mystical123
Forum Member

It's so obvious she will win.

And so will Jessica Chastain.

The other nominees needn't bother turning up because they won't be getting a look in!!

The awards are sooo predictable these days.
Bit in bold: that's still a two-horse race between Chastain and Lawrence, not predictable at all.

Best Actor and Best Supporting Actress are the only hugely predictable ones of the main categories this year.
Mystical123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 22:10
Sez_babe
Forum Member

Just seen the film - Anne was absolutely mesmorising!! I hope she wins
Sez_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 02:36
SuperAPJ
Forum Member

SuperAPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 07:56
Scubamonkey
Forum Member

Just seen the film - Anne was absolutely mesmorising!! I hope she wins
I agree - she was outstanding. If she doesn't win, then I will be very surprised! (And I'm not a "fanboy" of her's, but she surprised me in Batman and blew me away in Les Mis)
Scubamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 08:08
Mystical123
Forum Member

And for every time it's happened there's at least one time it hasn't. I still think it was a tasteless and unnecessary comment.
Old 17-01-2013, 17:21
ImOnlyWee
Forum Member

Quite a few unnecessary comments lol.

Great to see alot of people think she will and deserves to win.
Old 17-01-2013, 17:40
Delboy219
Forum Member

Yes or No?
I think she gave the best female performance of 2012. Period.
Absolute perfection as both Selina Kyle and Fantine.
I really hope she wins.
I'd like her to win. I love Anne.

Awesome username btw. Cute, funny and very scottish.
Delboy219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 18:30
degsyhufc
Forum Member

hehe, you've got to love some of the articles you find on wikipedia
And for every time it's happened there's at least one time it hasn't. I still think it was a tasteless and unnecessary comment.
You'd expect it not to happen
degsyhufc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 20:25
ImOnlyWee
Forum Member

I'd like her to win. I love Anne.

Awesome username btw. Cute, funny and very scottish.
I think it's her time to win!!

and thank you lol! I am indeed very Scottish! Ha.
Old 18-01-2013, 03:07
SuperAPJ
Forum Member

I still think it was a tasteless and unnecessary comment.
OK, it was irrelevant. I'm going to crawl back to the Showbiz forum!
SuperAPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 12:53
Fear of Fours
Inactive Member

I think she will. She'll probably give Halle Berry a run for her money in terms of an over the top, emotional speech. I personally find her insufferable.
Fear of Fours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 17:13
little-monster
Forum Member

I think she will. She'll probably give Halle Berry a run for her money in terms of an over the top, emotional speech. I personally find her insufferable.
Any reasons to why she is insufferable? She is perhaps one of the least publicized Actresses around. Very private person. Has never said any offensive comments and has never made a dick out of herself.
little-monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 00:03
Mystical123
Forum Member

Well her Golden Globes speech was perfectly normal, as far as awards speeches go...
Old 19-01-2013, 00:38
Tyjet
Forum Member

This isn't even a question. Anyone who thinks she's losing this Oscar is either deluded or stupid.
Tyjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 01:43
Fear of Fours
Inactive Member

Well her Golden Globes speech was perfectly normal, as far as awards speeches go...
Oscar>>>>>Golden Globe. The Oscar holds way more weight than a GG award and is the bigger award, hence why she'll probably go all out with her speech if she wins. She's so desperate to win the Oscar you can practically smell it.

Other than the Sally Field part, her GG speech came across as incredibly forced, rehearsed and insincere. I just find her off-putting and fake.
Old 19-01-2013, 01:49
gladiator18
Forum Member

What? Best female performance? But shes barely in the film lol
gladiator18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 01:59
Mystical123
Forum Member

Oscar>>>>>Golden Globe. The Oscar holds way more weight than a GG award and is the bigger award, hence why she'll probably go all out with her speech if she wins. She's so desperate to win the Oscar you can practically smell it. I'd p!ss myself if Jacki Weaver won over her but that isn't going to happen.

Other than the Sally Field part, her GG speech came across as incredibly forced, rehearsed and insincere. I just find her off-putting and fake.
I found it completely sincere, shows how easily people's vocal inflections and body language can be interpreted in many different ways! And please point to any evidence whatsoever that she's 'desperate' to win the Oscar, as everything I've read suggests the complete opposite - she's grateful to be nominated and would love to win (like anyone, so what's the problem with that?) but there's no desperation whatsoever.

Of course the Oscar holds more weight, but she's won almost every award going so far this awards season, so it wouldn't be too presumptuous for her to at least think a bit about what she'll say if she wins. She doesn't seem the type to become a Halle Berry-esque emotional wreck - I think she's more likely to give the Helen Mirren/Reese Witherspoon type of fairly calm speech than the Kate Winslet/Penelope Cruz blubbing.

She's far from my favourite actress, in fact Les Mis is only the 2nd thing I've liked her in (the Devil Wears Prada being the other), so I'm not a huge fan jumping to her defence regardless, I just can't see her being accused of desperation and insincerity and not comment, as I've seen nothing to suggest that whatsoever.

What? Best female performance? But shes barely in the film lol
Best Supporting Actress, which has no minimum screentime requirement. There's no such thing as Best female performance at the Oscars.
Old 19-01-2013, 02:18
Fear of Fours
Inactive Member

I found it completely sincere, shows how easily people's vocal inflections and body language can be interpreted in many different ways! And please point to any evidence whatsoever that she's 'desperate' to win the Oscar, as everything I've read suggests the complete opposite - she's grateful to be nominated and would love to win (like anyone, so what's the problem with that?) but there's no desperation whatsoever.

Of course the Oscar holds more weight, but she's won almost every award going so far this awards season, so it wouldn't be too presumptuous for her to at least think a bit about what she'll say if she wins. She doesn't seem the type to become a Halle Berry-esque emotional wreck - I think she's more likely to give the Helen Mirren/Reese Witherspoon type of fairly calm speech than the Kate Winslet/Penelope Cruz blubbing.

She's far from my favourite actress, in fact Les Mis is only the 2nd thing I've liked her in (the Devil Wears Prada being the other), so I'm not a huge fan jumping to her defence regardless, I just can't see her being accused of desperation and insincerity and not comment, as I've seen nothing to suggest that whatsoever.

The whole "a weapon against self doubt" line was just awful. It's almost as if she needs these awards as a way to validate her acting and reassure herself. She just seems far too desperate to please people. Then there's her need to try and be funny all the time when she's blatantly not.

Each to their own I guess.