Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Top Of The Pops 1978 - BBC4

Closed Thread
Old 18-01-2013, 00:07
Rich Tea.
Forum Member

I can understand people not wanting to know what will be on TOTP next week but not putting up a list of number ones or other chart details seems a bit extreme. After all its exactly the information that people used to buy the Guinness Book of Hit Singles to have..Indeed many people take delight in talking about chart data.
I don't disagree with a word you have said above TUC, and I am just the same, but one click reveals all, but if you didn't want to see it, then you can't un-view it.

Which reminds me, where is our resident chart geek Ian, aka Highlander69, my TOTP BBC4 twin? I was hoping he'd be back tonight with the start of the shows proper again.
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 18-01-2013, 00:11
Rich Tea.
Forum Member

And the fabulous Abba had a disco classic out in 1978
Let me guess?

Spoiler

If so, never thought of it as disco.
Old 18-01-2013, 00:12
footygirl
Forum Member

Let me guess?

Spoiler

If so, never thought of it as disco.
Yes, that is the one - brilliant song - and even better when sung "live" as Bjorn sings the first few lines accapella
Old 18-01-2013, 00:17
Rich Tea.
Forum Member

Yes, that is the one - brilliant song - and even better when sung "live" as Bjorn sings the first few lines accapella
Would you not agree that it is a somewhat overlooked song of Abba's? I recall when I got the album "The First Ten Years" on a double tape cassette, it was one track that I used to play out quite frequently looking back.
Old 18-01-2013, 00:24
footygirl
Forum Member

Would you not agree that it is a somewhat overlooked song of Abba's? I recall when I got the album "The First Ten Years" on a double tape cassette, it was one track that I used to play out quite frequently looking back.
Definately - great song. I love the song myself
Old 18-01-2013, 00:33
Rich Tea.
Forum Member

Definately - great song. I love the song myself
Don't you just love the way we are both talking about the song, without actually mentioning the one we are talking about!

I think I've got Spoileritis.
Old 18-01-2013, 00:36
SillyBoyBlue
Forum Member

Is there nowhere on the internet where the 'next' episode can be downloaded? I mean the missing DLT one. It must be SOMEWHERE...
Old 18-01-2013, 08:51
ClareB
Forum Member

No, the next show with DLT is not in circulation.
Old 18-01-2013, 09:24
maycontainnuts
Forum Member

Am I the only one who couldn't stand Althea and Donna 's Uptown Top Ranking?
Old 18-01-2013, 09:47
davelovesleeds
Forum Member

I always record the late night repeat of TOTP but wasn't on last night.

Are we now only getting one showing of this as I can't see it on the EPG.
Old 18-01-2013, 10:10
Servalan
Forum Member

There's a repeat screening on Saturday night - straight after Borgen.
Old 18-01-2013, 10:11
Servalan
Forum Member

That version is only - as far as I know - on the Thank You For The Music boxset ... a shame it was never on the original single as I really think that orchestral intro is a much stronger opening to the song.
Old 18-01-2013, 10:24
RPM
Forum Member

The late night repeat returns next week (Friday 01:30-02:00)

Are these episodes edited or were they originally 30 minutes long?
Old 18-01-2013, 10:28
RPM
Forum Member

Last nights showing had an overnight rating of 415k (1.8%) (thanks to Dancc on the ratings thread)

According to the BARB website, the equivalent episode w/e 22/1/12 had a final rating of 440k.

I think that final ratings generally tend to be higher so hopefully there isn't too much of a drop year on year.
Old 18-01-2013, 10:29
davelovesleeds
Forum Member

There's a repeat screening on Saturday night - straight after Borgen.

OK Thanks, must have missed seeing that. My series link dosn't seem to have picked it up either.

The late night repeat returns next week (Friday 01:30-02:00)

?
Good news. cheers, I can't record the earlier showing due to other recordings.
Old 18-01-2013, 10:52
The Gatherer
Forum Member

And A Wonderful Christmas Time of course! Played to death every year and probably one of the best xmas songs ever made! Does anyone else remember a song he brought out in 1990 called My Brave Face? Always used to like this one too. And the album he brought out a few years ago, Electric Arguments, was fantastic.
Think if you put "worst" instead of "best" you're nearer the truth! Dreadful song. My Brave Face is good though.
Old 18-01-2013, 10:54
UrsulaU
Forum Member

Is there nowhere on the internet where the 'next' episode can be downloaded? I mean the missing DLT one. It must be SOMEWHERE...
Yes there is somewhere called Popscene - it is really good and shows the TV lists in correct order:-

http://z6.*****************/popscene...showtopic=8799

Unfortunately I am refusing to look at the DLT/Savile episode lists as I don't want to see what I am missing!! - It hurts knowing Blondie is just one of the acts!!
Old 18-01-2013, 10:54
The Gatherer
Forum Member

Flowers in the Dirt? Flaming Pie? Chaos and Creation? Electric Arguments?
To be fair I was talking about singles, I haven't heard the albums. In my view, with a few exceptions of course, his singles from Mull of Kintyre onwards were nowhere near as good as the ones before.
Old 18-01-2013, 10:56
The Gatherer
Forum Member

"We All Stand Together."

Well, I liked it when I was a little boy. For me, it's every bit as good as anything he did in the Beatles. And Ringo Starr will always be "The Man Who Did Thomas The Tank Engine."
Yes, a great song, and only people who have no sense of humour and expect their songs to be all serious and meaningful moan about it.
Old 18-01-2013, 11:05
UrsulaU
Forum Member

Yes there is somewhere called Popscene - it is really good and shows the TV lists in correct order:-

http://z6.*****************/popscene...showtopic=8799

Unfortunately I am refusing to look at the DLT/Savile episode lists as I don't want to see what I am missing!! - It hurts knowing Blondie is just one of the acts!!
Oh sorry - i don't think it is the shows - just the list of what's on the shows.
This website used to put up the missing episodes - but I don't know if it still does:-
http://yesitsnumberone.blogspot.co.u...ouncement.html
Old 18-01-2013, 13:48
ClareB
Forum Member

On the Popscene website, there is a forum which lists episodes from 1978 which aren't in circulation - so if you want to you can work out which Savile and DLT (unless the situation changes) shows that will not be shown and weren't shown on UK Gold either.
Old 18-01-2013, 13:58
darnall42
Forum Member

According to wikipedia here are the episodes from 1978 repeated on UK Gold http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...n_UK_Gold#1978 and when we get a bit further on in the run there is that Jimmy Savile hosted show 0on the BBC Motion gallery which did'nt get a uk gold airing which we can view
Old 18-01-2013, 15:00
Rich Tea.
Forum Member

Yes, a great song, and only people who have no sense of humour and expect their songs to be all serious and meaningful moan about it.
I first heard that song on Steve Wright's Radio 1 show back at the time, and knowing what his show used to be full of, simply thought I was listening to one of his own creations and that he had himself added frogs and stuff to a basic new Paul McCartney tune. I was quite amused when I later heard it again elsewhere, exactly the same.

It seems to me that people either love McCartney, or Lennon as soloists, but I love both, and have plenty of solo tracks by each. Regarding Mull Of Kintyre, I once heard the late John Peel talking about the time he first heard the song, and he mentioned thinking that it immediately sounded like a song that had been written a century ago, and was an immediate classic sounding track. I think it was a compliment, and likely explains why it was the biggest selling single of all time by the time it exited the singles chart later in 1978.

Regardless of the merits of the song itself, I just hate bagpipes! Compared to 1972's appalling Amazing Grace with the pipes that ended up that years best seller, Mull Of Kintyre is more than acceptable in comparison.
Old 18-01-2013, 15:12
Robbie01
Forum Member

When was Renaissance's A Song For All Seasons in the charts? Along with Northern Lights? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOr7BXy9Zrk
'A Song For All Seasons' charted on 19/08/78. 'Northern Lights' was still in the top 20 at the time, on its way down from a number 10 peak.

The chart run of the album: 60-43-35-36-44-39-48-OUT-50-OUT

One of the tracks on the album was 'Back Home Once Again' which, in a shortened version, was the theme tune to the ITV childrens TV programme "The Paper Lads".

Does anyone else remember this programme that ran in three series from 1977 to 1979?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLEIE8WD0X4

Being a Geordie it's nice to see some shots of Newcastle in the opening titles. Good song too.
Old 18-01-2013, 15:50
milliejo
Forum Member

Was anyone else laughing at Brotherhood of Man.....And I forgot how gorgeous Peter Powell used to be,,
milliejo is offline Follow this poster on Twitter  

Closed Thread