Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Frank Skinner hosts new Room 101

Old 14-01-2013, 00:07
alfster
Forum Member

People need to learn howe to deal with being offended these days. It seems everyone is always finding something to be offended about. In life you will offend someone. Fact. In life you will be offended.
Very very few things offend me: murder, rape, theft, genocide, fraud, lying etc.

The only real thing unlike those things above that offends me is: 'people being offended on the behalf of others.'

As if the people who that person thinks might be offended have no voice of their own...I wonder if they are offended by people being offended on their behalf...

And you are right: people can laugh through their illnesses...also, some women have major physical and psychological problems when it comes to having large breasts to the point that they have breast reduction surgery. It can come as some comfort to know that their are others in their situation.
alfster is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 14-01-2013, 00:09
alfster
Forum Member

It's a comedy panel show, you're not supposed to care who wins each round!I wouldn't say Frank Skinner was stroppy. That Victoria Coren, though, seems to have bit of a temper. And she must have been picking up tips on ranting from David Mitchell!
Nothing wrong with a good rant, it's very cathartic, and it is the sort of show that's set-up to go off on one.

I like it when she gets one on her.
alfster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 00:13
Wulfster
Forum Member

Got to love Victoria Coren. If it wasn't for a certain Mr Mitchell, she'd be mine...

Good taste.
Hell of a poker player as well!

Maybe I over-reacted, but IMHO Skinner and the panel game format still doesn't work for me as well as the days of Hancock or Merton, and the 30 minute fomat doesn't work either.

Ideally I'd like to see it at 30 - 45 minutes, but with one guest again, and somebody like Sean Lock being the regular presenter.
Yeah! Sean Lock. That'd be great!
Might not agree with his choices but I'd be too busy cracking up!
Wulfster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 03:02
skiller
Forum Member

I'm pretty sure Terry's choice of packaging was put in by someone on the original series (maybe Spike Milligan?)
Peter Cook wanted plastic packaging in Room101. Packed sandwiches and I think the plastic thingy that holds socks together.
And in the XL version Tuffers' choice of "sentences going up at the end" isn't exactly original. I've always assumed it was caused by Neighbours in the 80's even before Stephen Fry put it (or tried to) into Room 101 as an AQI (in the Paul Merton era, I think).

On another note, when Vicky was moaning about windows and Frank showed a pic of a church which is now a house, I recognized it immediately! It's not actually a house but has been converted into flats.
skiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 05:54
morecowbell
Forum Member

Good taste.
Hell of a poker player as well!

Maybe I over-reacted, but IMHO Skinner and the panel game format still doesn't work for me as well as the days of Hancock or Merton, and the 30 minute fomat doesn't work either.

Ideally I'd like to see it at 30 - 45 minutes, but with one guest again, and somebody like Sean Lock being the regular presenter.
Sean Lock would be perfect!
morecowbell is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 08:57
lundavra
Forum Member

And in the XL version Tuffers' choice of "sentences going up at the end" isn't exactly original. I've always assumed it was caused by Neighbours in the 80's even before Stephen Fry put it (or tried to) into Room 101 as an AQI (in the Paul Merton era, I think).

On another note, when Vicky was moaning about windows and Frank showed a pic of a church which is now a house, I recognized it immediately! It's not actually a house but has been converted into flats.
I am sure the High Rising Terminal predates Neighbours by many years, Wonkypedia suggests it might have originated in New Zealand and is also known in parts of the US.
lundavra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 09:24
Hugh Letdown
Inactive Member

They need to put bandwidth-wasting "extra bitsez red buttony full helpin' totally like totall all" shows into Room 101.

Just show us the whole goddamed show... now.
Hugh Letdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 11:04
Andy Birkenhead
Forum Member

Or Jack Dee !
Andy Birkenhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 17:28
degsyhufc
Forum Member

Lock was good on TV Heaven, Telly Hell.
But I thought he was disppointing on Argumental. I thought Sargeant was much better. Hound and Brigstock were also much better in their roles which isn't something you're likely to hear much
degsyhufc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 17:56
skiller
Forum Member

I am sure the High Rising Terminal predates Neighbours by many years, Wonkypedia suggests it might have originated in New Zealand and is also known in parts of the US.
Never heard of the phrase "High Rising Terminal" before, but I like it! At first glance, I would object to it as its initials could cause confusion; but then again, so could "Australian Question Intonation", whose initials are apparently more usually used for "Air Quality Index", which I have also never heard of! How my education has let me down...

However, all I meant to say was that I only noticed British people using it a lot during the late 80s which happened to coincide with the popularity of Australian soaps - so I just assumed, probably wrongly.
Old 14-01-2013, 17:59
Glowbot
Inactive Member

He's actually really bad at interviewing, all awkward pauses and nerves from the pilot he did a while back.
So funny when on 9OTC though! he needs someone to spark off.
Glowbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 18:14
skiller
Forum Member

So funny when on 9OTC though!
Is that on C4+1?
Old 14-01-2013, 18:26
degsyhufc
Forum Member

Never heard of the phrase "High Rising Terminal" before, but I like it! At first glance, I would object to it as its initials could cause confusion; but then again, so could "Australian Question Intonation", whose initials are apparently more usually used for "Air Quality Index", which I have also never heard of! How my education has let me down...

However, all I meant to say was that I only noticed British people using it a lot during the late 80s which happened to coincide with the popularity of Australian soaps - so I just assumed, probably wrongly.
Stephen Fry explained it better than Tuffers.
He also went on to American Westcoast accents doing the same and now some London socialite types.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OluCvL0lRnI
degsyhufc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 19:10
skiller
Forum Member

Stephen Fry explained it better than Tuffers.
He also went on to American Westcoast accents doing the same and now some London socialite types.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OluCvL0lRnI
See post #404. But thanks for the link!
Old 18-01-2013, 20:41
brewer480
Forum Member

Its the comedian from the inbetweeners!!!! Legend!!!

Who invited Janet street Porter tho??? Something tells me she's going to try and take over the show!
brewer480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 20:43
far2cool
Forum Member

Greg Davies is hilarious, but the other 2 are annoying me
far2cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 20:45
Joooe
Forum Member

God she is a horrible woman.
Joooe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 20:46
far2cool
Forum Member

oh shut up Porter you bitter old cow
far2cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 20:48
niceguy1966
Forum Member

oh shut up Porter you bitter old cow
If she says something is posh one more time, I'm turning over.Silly woman.
niceguy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 20:49
fleet
Forum Member

I love this programme, but shes really annoying!!
fleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 20:53
ilovewallander
Forum Member

Her anti "upper class" thing just because Ben Fogle is on there and is a bit posh is wearing thin
ilovewallander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 20:53
Lyricalis
Forum Member

I have a suitcase with wheels.
Lyricalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 20:56
Lowri
Forum Member

I have a suitcase with wheels.
I think everyone does. I try not to use it because they eventually break but I've had some suitcases that would have been impossible to use if I couldn't have wheeled them.
A stupid thing to put into 101 if you ask me.

Another here who's already thoroughly fed up with Porter. Why does she assume that all her opinions are fact?

ETA: Has no-one told Porter how to use the TV remote? Local news can be useful but I agree it's a little dull, so I just watch something else, I don't "waste 10 minutes of my life"
Lowri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 20:56
fleet
Forum Member

From someone who does a programme talking about nothing!!
fleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 20:58
Lowri
Forum Member

From someone who does a programme talking about nothing!!
I'd rather watch Midlands Today on loop than 10 minutes of Loose Women!
Lowri is offline   Reply With Quote