Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Celebrities who are vile in real life?

Old 23-01-2013, 18:11
milliejo
Forum Member

I used to work in Fulham, and would sometimes see Leslie Grantham (Dirty Den from EE) queuing up in the NatWest Bank - this was in the days of proper banks with wooden counters and human cashiers.

He looked, and dressed, exactly the same as his character, and was quite happy to chat with anyone.

He stood in a queue behind me in M&S, he was very nice, chatty. Though I didn't talk to him about the fact he is famous..It was at a time when he was back in Eastenders too.
Also Pierce Bronson, have seen him at Mass in a London parish, very nice despite being recognised by children that where saying "Mummy, mummy it's James Bond."
Katherine, Duchess of Windsor and her daughter, stood behind them in a queue for ice cream at Wimbledon, didn't speak to them but they happily blended with the crowds, no bodyguards or security or staff.#
Alistair Stewart smiled and said hello when he walked pasted me.
milliejo is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 23-01-2013, 18:12
PunksNotDead
Forum Member

I've a mate who used to be in the police and he stopped a local footballer for speeding. Footy player went right into the "Do you know who I am?" routine.

My mate replied "Yes I do, which means I'll have no trouble identifying you in court."
Nice one
PunksNotDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 18:22
bookaddict
Forum Member

No surprise, but Jim Davidson. I know a woman who works in a hotel where he was stopping a few years back. She said they gave him their best room (its a nice hotel), he had a huge list of requirements for the staff and they complied with each one, to the letter. He walked into the room, and instantly said, "I'm not staying in this s***hole," and stormed out. Very rude to all staff...just a horrible man.
bookaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 23:57
Mallaha
Forum Member

I used to work in Fulham, and would sometimes see Leslie Grantham (Dirty Den from EE) queuing up in the NatWest Bank - this was in the days of proper banks with wooden counters and human cashiers.

He looked, and dressed, exactly the same as his character, and was quite happy to chat with anyone.
My cousin appeared on a game show with him and said he was a sleazy perv.
Mallaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 00:20
Walter Neff
Forum Member

Katherine, Duchess of Windsor and her daughter, stood behind them in a queue for ice cream at Wimbledon, didn't speak to them but they happily blended with the crowds, no bodyguards or security or staff.#
There hasn't been a Duchess of Windsor since Wallis Simpson, I guess you mean the Duchess of Kent.
Walter Neff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 01:22
kws
Forum Member

I remember seeing Brian Blessed in Cats (Blackpool, 1989, playing 'Old Deuteronomy'). During the interval, when all the rest of the cast were off set, he sat on a big tyre in the middle of the stage and encouraged people to go up and chat with him. He was a total sweetie. I saw the show three times over that summer and he always did the same thing. I didn't go up to him myself as there was quite a crowd but I was impressed.
That's great.
kws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 01:25
ItsRyanYall
Forum Member

LeighAnn from Little Mix. The rest are a joy.
ItsRyanYall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 01:47
Demizdeeroolz
Forum Member

James Bolam is a miserable, selfish arse, IIRC.

Not talked to Rodney Bewes since the 70s, IIRC and blocking any repeats of The Likely Lads.

Total opposite of his Likely Lads character - hates Newcastle and not spoken to Bewes since he revealed to the press that James' wife was pregnant.
He attended a Grammar school in Derby so his parents must have moved away when he was young.
Demizdeeroolz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 06:30
Keefy-boy
Forum Member

Near where I live in Brighton they made a 'Walk of Fame' with paving stones for celebs supposedly having some connection with the city (eg they might have visited once.) Complete failure and waste of time.

They had an opening party for the 'celebs' in a marquee one evening, Leo Sayer was singing, yes it was that good. I remember Damon Hill arriving, there we a few female fans waiting for him with autograph books near the roped-off red carpet entrance. Watching from a distance we saw him walk past them into the marquee, not stopping to chat or sign any autographs and we thought 'what a tosser.'

Ten minutes later he came out, ducked under the rope and signed autographs and spent ages with his fans. We thought 'what a good bloke.'

Years ago I shared a sauna with Cliff Richard (tennis club not gay club!) and had a conversation about contact lenses. Perfectly nice bloke. Brucie used to go there too, he always went home in his tennis kit, never having a shower, presumably couldn't risk getting his syrup wet. Trevor McDonald played there too, he always turned up in a chauffeur driven Rolls and made his driver wait in the car in the car park.
Keefy-boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 01:04
rfonzo
Forum Member

I have met Clive Owen and he is as wooden off screen as he is on it.
Is he friends with Mr Sheen ??

Anthony Cotton has been witnessed as an arrogant & brash individual.Very egotistical & not to be approached..unless you're the producer of Corrie..
Quite possibly, but then some would say that is none of our "Beeswax."
rfonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 01:06
rfonzo
Forum Member

[quote=Keefy-boy;63817767]Near where I live in Brighton they made a 'Walk of Fame' with paving stones for celebs supposedly having some connection with the city (eg they might have visited once.) Complete failure and waste of time.

I have not met Jimmy Saville but I have met Jimmy Somerville and he lives in Brighton and is very pleasant.
rfonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 01:53
OrdinaryMorning
Forum Member

Edited...

Last edited by OrdinaryMorning : 25-01-2013 at 01:55. Reason: ignore
OrdinaryMorning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 15:39
dabotsonline
Forum Member

He asked me if I wanted a drink, and fetched me a G&T that I suspect had never even seen a bottle of tonic water. It nearly killed me.
Brilliant phrasing!
dabotsonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 16:13
julie2009
Forum Member

A chap I know who works in a catalogue shop once served Smillie. She was kept waiting, with everyone else, and uttered the immortal, 'I'm sorry, but do you know who I am?'
I can't believe she would have the nerve to say to people "do you know who I am" as if she is some well known celebrity.
She might have been years ago thanks to Changing Rooms but there was nothing special about her - to be honest a bit boring.

Has anyone ever met Nick Knowles. He is a great people person on TV just wondering if he is the same off TV
Love him on DIY SOS
julie2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 17:43
damianswife
Forum Member

Hubby had sparked up a cigarette outside the airport and Nick Knowles scrounged one off him. Hubby said he was perfectly pleasant.
damianswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 18:17
milliejo
Forum Member

There hasn't been a Duchess of Windsor since Wallis Simpson, I guess you mean the Duchess of Kent.
I did mean her...
milliejo is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 15:04
I23
Forum Member

Bloke at work in mid 90's did Changing Rooms (whores boudoir episode) he said thay Smilley was not at all pleasant and hated the English and would only stay in Scotland that was a hefty commute
I23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 17:12
DB69
Forum Member

Hubby has seen Wayne Rooney and the gang on the London bound train several times. Wouldn't normally approach any of them but asked him for his autograph to cheer up our son who was off school ill. He was very obliging and very polite.
DB69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 17:54
Flanno
Forum Member

David Soul of 'Starsky & Hutch'.

My parents attended a private function in London during the early 80s and David shared the same table with them. My parents weren't impressed with his surly attitude - not only was he rude towards them but to other fellow guests as well.
Flanno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 17:58
OrdinaryMorning
Forum Member

Heard a guy on the radio today saing that Asheligh (off of Ashleigh and Pudsey) wasn't very nice when he met her backstage at an awards thing.
OrdinaryMorning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 19:37
rionia
Forum Member

David Soul of 'Starsky & Hutch'.

My parents attended a private function in London during the early 80s and David shared the same table with them. My parents weren't impressed with his surly attitude - not only was he rude towards them but to other fellow guests as well.
Yes, I met him once at an aftershow event for Mack and Mabel which he was in at the time, in London (organised by a threatre group).

I mentioned that some friends of mine had recently met a friend of his (they'd had lunch with Paul Michael Glaser regarding Glasers charity) . His response was to snap "I haven't got any friends"
rionia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 21:17
TraceyUK
Forum Member

Hayley Tamaddon ex Emmerdale is a nasty piece of work
TraceyUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 22:01
christian40
Forum Member

Van Morrison!
Oh I could tell you stories about him!
(I know somebody who went out with him. Shhh!)
christian40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 22:02
-Batman-
Forum Member

Antony Cotton horrid vile person
-Batman- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 22:06
potatolegs
Forum Member

I hate to say this but Holly Willoughby is a stuck up cow. Wouldn't even take photos with fans when standing next to them and was so fake and moaning.
potatolegs is offline   Reply With Quote