Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Poor Freeview Aerial Receptoin

Old 27-01-2013, 21:44
angiebroch
Forum Member

I've just moved into a new flat, 1st floor in a 3 storey block, where there is 1 communal aerial on the roof which serves all flats. The aerial tv reception is absolutely abysmal, none of the Freeview channels are watchable as the picture flickers all the time. I've been told that signal boosters which you place near the TV are a waste of money but after looking online a lot of people seem to think an Amplified Set Top Aerial like the TCE 2001 is a good idea. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I don't really want to go down the route of having a new external aerial put up as this would be quite dear and the Council mightn't allow it; although a few of the neighbours have satellite dishes. I don't know any of the neighbours to talk to as yet so don't know if they've had similar problems. I can't afford Sky and don't really want to subscribe anyway, and am not in a cabled area. So any help would be very much appreciated, ta!
angiebroch is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 27-01-2013, 22:04
Yosemite
Forum Member

I don't know any of the neighbours to talk to as yet so don't know if they've had similar problems.
Well this is an ideal opportunity to acquaint yourself with your neighbours, isn't it?

It's also the obvious first step towards diagnosing your problem and finding a solution.
Yosemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 22:07
varialectio
Forum Member

If the communal aerial isn't working properly, get it sorted with the people responsible for the building; it will be far better than an indoor one. If it is working properly and you're in a poor reception area, no indoor aerial will be any use anyway. Seeing what the neighbors say is the real way forward. There might well be problems with the building managers with installing your own.
varialectio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 22:09
mackara
Inactive Member

I can only receive a few BBC channels since the digital changeover, location is important.
mackara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 22:40
David (2)
Forum Member

For freeview (tv through an aerial) u could ask the landlord to fix the problem. Indoor table top aerials only work in strong signal areas, the signal is not equally strong over the whole country.

As for a dish u can use a sky box + dish to get the free channels without subscription, but no recording. OR u can use a dish with a freesat box to get the free channels and b able to record (no subscription needed).
David (2) is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 22:57
angiebroch
Forum Member

Well this is an ideal opportunity to acquaint yourself with your neighbours, isn't it?

It's also the obvious first step towards diagnosing your problem and finding a solution.
Thanks Yosemite, I have tried knocking on neighbours' doors but they all seem to be out during the day. I will keep trying them though.
angiebroch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 10:37
grumpyscot
Forum Member

Before you do anything, have you checked the plugs and wall sockets where you plug in your aeriel? Reason I ask is that my Dad had the same problem, just after the decorators had been. I took off the wall plate and just one strand on the outer wire had bridged over to the centre wire. Moved it back and back to strength 10 reception!
grumpyscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 10:42
ffawkes
Forum Member

Thanks Yosemite, I have tried knocking on neighbours' doors but they all seem to be out during the day.

Then knock in the evening oy vey!
ffawkes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 10:43
Richard46
Forum Member

Put your post code in here to get some idea of signal quality in your area.
Richard46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 18:15
Sue_Aitch
Forum Member

Thread reminds me of forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1572911: warning this was a right saga!
Sue_Aitch is offline   Reply With Quote