Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

John Sullivan's 'Dear John'

Old 05-09-2012, 07:38
ilovecorrie2
Forum Member

It was no advertisement for divorce, that's for sure. All of the characters were rather sad, lonely and depressed, no matter how much they tried to hide it.
Precisely. It gave the impression of singletons being desperate people compared to the happy families we saw in other sitcoms. Dear John could have only come from the pen of someone who saw marriage as the be all and end all.

There again, maybe it was John Sullivan's attempt to show that friends could be like family but if that was the case it didn't work for me because I never really saw them as friends. They may have huddled together for warmth but they were far too acid tongued to seem like friends and, when push came to shove, at Christmas, they all spent time with family (except for John) rather than with each other
ilovecorrie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 05-09-2012, 23:58
TheBaronSpell
Forum Member

Don't read too much into the premise of the friendships.

Who has enjoyed seeing 'Dear John' again or for the first time due to this thread's existence then? Feedback most welcome.
TheBaronSpell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:34
ilovecorrie2
Forum Member

Who has enjoyed seeing 'Dear John' again or for the first time due to this thread's existence then? Feedback most welcome.
I wouldn't have said "enjoyed" was the right word. I thought it was only certain episodes that were sad but there's a sadness to the whole feel of the show (that is when they're not sniping at each other). It's like watching a "comedy" version of Eastenders. There also seems to be a streak of cruelty running through the show - best highlighted by Louise's joy at turning Sylvia's marriage problem into a sideshow. I'd still rather watch Dear John than Blackadder though as Blackadder's an arrogant unpleasant long-winded bore - even Series 2 (which I thought was the best) isn't as good as I remember it being. Definitely John Sullvian's worst comedy though imo..
Old 06-09-2012, 12:49
TheBaronSpell
Forum Member

Can't work out why people keep highlighting how sad 'Dear John' is. Amongst the sad trivial lives the characters led happens to be a very funny show.

The worst Sullivan comedy probably was 'The Green Green Grass' in retrospect.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:50
fiveinabed
Forum Member

The worst Sullivan comedy probably was 'The Green Green Grass' in retrospect.
Amen to that!
fiveinabed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 13:32
TheBaronSpell
Forum Member

Don't get me wrong I liked TGGG but possibly because I love OFAH. Didn't have an issue with the writing, cast or humour it just seemed very stereotypical of what most people would perceive a farming community or rural village to be like.

Anyway I'm still to be convinced about watching 'Just Good Friends' if I'm being honest. The cast doesn't really appeal to me.
Old 06-09-2012, 16:20
ilovecorrie2
Forum Member

Anyway I'm still to be convinced about watching 'Just Good Friends' if I'm being honest. The cast doesn't really appeal to me.
It's funnier than Dear John and we're not encouraged to laugh at a bunch of sad no hopers as we are when watching Dear John. The thing that saves Dear John is that despite the sniping and the fact that it's more sad than funny, John, at least, has good intentions so there is an underlying morality to the show which is totally absent in Blackadder who is totally self serving, selfish, and loathesome. Most of the characters in John Sullivan's comedies are likeable but I found it difficult to like many of the characters in Dear John especially Louise, Kate and Sylvia. I think one of the reasons Only Fools and Horses remains the best is that both David Jason and NIcholas Lyndhurst were used to comedy acting. Just Good Friends comes a very close second though.

It's a pity they never got to make a third series of Dear John. It would have been interesting to see what direction it would have taken.
Old 06-09-2012, 20:03
TheBaronSpell
Forum Member

I'm not sure why you keep referring to Blackadder for? It was written by Richard Curtis/Ben Elton (Rowan Atkinson - for series 1) and to compare John Sullivan's stuff to it is unfair. Totally different pieces of work.

Which reminds me Richard Curtis almost spilt coffee on me when we bumped into other at London Victoria Station last year! I do love Blackadder by the way so I wouldn't have minded lol.

A third series of 'Dear John' would of been ideal.
Old 06-09-2012, 20:15
ilovecorrie2
Forum Member

I'm not sure why you keep referring to Blackadder for? It was written by Richard Curtis/Ben Elton (Rowan Atkinson - for series 1) and to compare John Sullivan's stuff to it is unfair. Totally different pieces of work.
Sorry about that. It's just that there's another discussion topic about Blackadder on the board at the moment and I'm comparing the two sitcoms. Blackadder is vastly over-rated imo and Dear John, for all the faults I keep finding, is vastly under-rated. Even (what I consider to be) Sullivan's worst is far better than what some would consider to be others' best.

A third series of 'Dear John' would of been ideal.
As long as they'd have done something to fill out the characters of Louise, Kate and Sylvia. We got to see another side of Kirk but not so with the others.
Old 06-09-2012, 21:26
TheBaronSpell
Forum Member

Sorry about that. It's just that there's another discussion topic about Blackadder on the board at the moment and I'm comparing the two sitcoms. Blackadder is vastly over-rated imo and Dear John, for all the faults I keep finding, is vastly under-rated. Even (what I consider to be) Sullivan's worst is far better than what some would consider to be others' best.
Wished you had posted this earlier! Makes sense now. Well I'm glad your fond of 'Dear John' too. I see your point, I've picked up on faults such as the theme tune doesn't reflect what happens properly etc.

I think it's a matter of personal taste really because I adore Blackadder and have grown to really like the first series. Rowan's character in the second series is probably the worst of the lot but the cast and era it's set in was awesome.
Old 06-09-2012, 21:31
Beautiful_Harv
Forum Member

I am tempted to buy a dvd to watch it again. I only vaguely remember it, as i am young- ish
i keep singing the first two lines of the theme tune!
Beautiful_Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:05
TheBaronSpell
Forum Member

I'm 22 and don't feel like I'm that young at all. I'm like a 30-40 year old trapped in a 22 year old body..

You wouldn't regret it if you did and the theme tune is certainly catchy!
Old 31-01-2013, 15:38
TheBaronSpell
Forum Member

Curious to learn if anybody went out and brought this sitcom on DVD following the great response it got when I mentioned it in this thread?
Old 31-01-2013, 16:04
ilovewallander
Forum Member

Curious to learn if anybody went out and brought this sitcom on DVD following the great response it got when I mentioned it in this thread?
I love Dear John! It's one of my fave 80's sitcoms (I'm old enough to remember it the first time round I was a kid though ) and really want to buy it. It was repeated on GOLD a year or two back, but I wish we could have another repeat. It's one for my 'to buy' list anyway
ilovewallander is offline   Reply With Quote