Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Charlie Brooker's Weekly Wipe - 31st January 9pm - BBC2

Old 31-01-2013, 22:35
Corabal
Forum Member

What was wrong with that guys eyes, he had big black rings around them........ive seen him on this before, but he never had black eyes like that
Obviously done on purpose, similar to when Charle was smeared with shit and roughed up once when walking through a forest like area talking.
Corabal is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Glowbot
Inactive Member

Doug Stanhope just gets better and better.

'Hitler did his best to help the UK and level that country flat so they could start over, like extreme country makeover, and what did the Brits do? Spat in Hitler's face and built it back, brick by brick, exactly the way it was 1100 years ago.'
I loved the;
They want you here, because they don't yet know that you don't tip
Glowbot is offline   Reply With Quote
rhumble
Forum Member

Its like an half hour chuckle fest
rhumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 22:37
rhumble
Forum Member

Obviously done on purpose, similar to when Charle was smeared with shit and roughed up once when walking through a forest like area talking.
i was thinking it might be,,,otherwise he needs to see a Doctor
Old 31-01-2013, 22:39
DejaVoodoo
Forum Member

What was wrong with that guys eyes, he had big black rings around them........ive seen him on this before, but he never had black eyes like that
It's a running gag. Basically Barry Sh*tpeas is always getting into fights. Thus hence the bloody noses, bandaged hands and now black eyes.
DejaVoodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 22:48
SallyArmy
Forum Member

More chuckles than laugh out loud moments, but i'll stay tuned!
SallyArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 22:50
rhumble
Forum Member

It's a running gag. Basically Barry Sh*tpeas is always getting into fights. Thus hence the bloody noses, bandaged hands and now black eyes.
Cheers
Old 31-01-2013, 23:14
Corabal
Forum Member

I also like how on BBC HD they stuck a couple of Africa trailers on to try and make the programme look good and not the mockery of WW.
Corabal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 23:19
ShotMarvin1
Forum Member

Well I guess I was wrong about it being another You Have Been Watching type show then.

I really enjoyed that actually. There were quite a few laugh-out loud moments, particularly during Doug Stanhope's segment. The film review chat thing with Richard Osman and Susan Calman about Django Unchained felt a bit out of place I thought. But apart from that, I'm liking what I'm seeing so far.
ShotMarvin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 23:24
MarkG6R
Forum Member

. The film review chat thing with Richard Osman and Susan Calman about Django Unchained felt a bit out of place I thought. But apart from that, I'm liking what I'm seeing so far.
Yes, I thought it was a bit pointless (ahem). Maybe if there was a week in which they were struggling to find topical material the discussion would fill up more of the show.

But it great to see Charlie Brooker back doing what he does best. I still think the programme should be called Omni-wipe!
MarkG6R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 23:31
Alrightmate
Forum Member

Pretty good opener.

Except for the Film 2013 bit.
I don't care what Richard Osman and the lady with him think of Django. Save that for some other film review TV show.

Still pretty good overall though. I loved Barry Shitpeas and Philomena Cunk talking about 'Africa'. That was very funny.
Alrightmate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 00:45
Vast_Girth
Forum Member

Not his best, but i still enjoyed it a lot. Could have done without the film discussion bit however.
Vast_Girth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:01
Apple_Crumble
Forum Member

I enjoyed it. However I'm not keen on the 'review with celebs' segment.
Apple_Crumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:41
SomeRandom
Forum Member

Agree with the consensus, had a good laugh watching but to be critical, the stop-for-a-chat segment needs axing.

That public information film on how to survive a massacre was scary as was the little girl with customised guns. Why?

Is US News really that desperate they have to discuss a non-issue such as if Beyonce was miming?
It's not like our news in any better - the endless talk (which usually amounts to glorified gossip) about Royalty is equivalent, with it even making into Question Time tonight.
SomeRandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:14
SuperAPJ
Forum Member

The title made me laugh.
SuperAPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:01
roddydogs
Forum Member

Surely quoting Twitter ( or taking the pee out of "Splash") to get a laugh is scraping the barrel? The Africa section fell completely flat.
roddydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:31
Valentine
Forum Member

Excellent can't wait. And black mirror starts soon as well.
Loved Wipe, love Brooker and can't get enough of him but I hated Black Mirror - the thought of that pig episode still turns my stomach, and my humour is well at the darker end of the scale!
Valentine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:40
the dourfla
Forum Member

that little girl will be a good COD player once she's old enough to start shooting imaginary guns.
the dourfla is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:44
DuckSeason
Forum Member

Laughed out loud at "Quick, it poses no threat - kill it! Hero!"
DuckSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:05
catsitter
Forum Member

Surely quoting Twitter ( or taking the pee out of "Splash") to get a laugh is scraping the barrel? The Africa section fell completely flat.
I agree with you about Twitter (and the Mail Online stuff) - if he was quoting celebrities' tweets it might be o.k., but making fun of random people's tweets / posts was pointless. I think Robert Webb did something like that a couple of years ago on a programme called "Robert's Web" which was something of a flop.

I did enjoy most of this programme but had to laugh at the announcer warning us that it would contain "adult humour" since most of Charlie Brooker's jokes are more on the childish side!
catsitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:12
CAMERA OBSCURA
Forum Member

Aye, for years CB might have well has just lifted the unfunny obvious posts from the many even unfunnier Brooker wannabes on the internet for all his unoriginality in stating the obvious, that is his target audience anyway.

The show over Christmas should have been titled 'What unfunny people have been saying on internet forums over the year'

Turned off at the Twitter part, sneering at others for doing exactly the same thing himself. If only the twitter posts had the foresight to end with a 'F88K off' or added a blowing a raspberry whilst sticking up the 'Vs' smilie then it would have been so smart and clever.

At least TV Burp knew it was dumb.
CAMERA OBSCURA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:23
Eraserhead
Forum Member

Really enjoyed this. It's always good to see Charlie back on our screens and taking a swipe at crap and absurdity (pink rifles for 5 year olds! Sorry Doug Stanhope, but I don't care how nice the US reallly is. I'm not going anywhere near it while they think it's a good idea for pre-school kids to carry lethal weapons).

I agree that the panel discussion about Django was a bit pointless.
Eraserhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:44
StargateNerd_24
Forum Member

I really liked it, loved the Africa bit.
StargateNerd_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 13:19
Oldnjaded
Forum Member

One can never take the piss out of Twitter and Splash enough - they represent everything that is wrong with Britain today and of course it was hilarious because most of us know exactly how crap they are, but still watch/use them. (Not Twitter in my case I hasten to add).

Personally I thought the Africa bit was hysterical. There's obviously no people in Africa, why are we sending them money? PMSL!

Great show as usual, Charlie.
Oldnjaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 13:28
RadioKnower
Forum Member

I can't believe Splash was originally a foreign TV show.

Can't ITV do anything original?
Do you know anything about television?

Most entertainment formats are international, if they're doing well in one country for the right price a broadcaster would be silly not to pick it up.

In terms of creating new formats, ITV probably creates or is the first commission more formats that do well in both the UK and internationally than any other broadcaster.

Stuff that has done well internationally originally airing on ITV includes

Pop Idol,
The X Factor,
The Chase,
The Cube,
Downton Abbey,
TV Burp,

Those are the big recent big shows I can think of.
RadioKnower is offline   Reply With Quote