Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Norton for Windows 8

Old 31-01-2013, 11:05
BarneyBearsMum
Forum Member

have just purchased Norton 360 off the internet ( ebay- new) It said windows 8 compatable but it wont run, contacted the seller who said it will if I download windows 7 first.
Is this right . If so how do I do this please- major PC newbe
BarneyBearsMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 31-01-2013, 11:38
psionic
Forum Member

It may be a pre-Windows 8 version of the N360 (version 5 or earlier) . You should be able to download the latest version (version 6) from http://updatecenter.norton.com/Manual/ChooseProduct
The license key will work on the latest version.

Installing Windows 7 sounds a drastic step suggested by the Ebay seller. Don't even consider that, just to install Norton!

Even if you don't succeed in installing N360. Windows 8 has basic security built in so you're not totally unprotected.
psionic is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 12:10
BarneyBearsMum
Forum Member

Thanks for the reply Psionic,

I brought this one as it said it was windows 8 compatable
V 6?? I think- But W 8 not mentioned on the box and seller just keeps saying it will work fine if I download W 7, which after your advice there is no way I'm even going to try.
The inbuilt protection turned off when I put a Norton 60 Trial on, do you know how to turn it back on.

I really wish I'd gone to Norton on Line but ebay loads cheaper.
i
BarneyBearsMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 13:10
psionic
Forum Member

You could try and remove the trial version using NRT https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/...home&version=1 this should return Windows security back to defaults. Then download and install the latest N360 from the link earlier.
psionic is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 13:26
Stig
Forum Member

Thanks for the reply Psionic,

I brought this one as it said it was windows 8 compatable
V 6?? I think- But W 8 not mentioned on the box and seller just keeps saying it will work fine if I download W 7, which after your advice there is no way I'm even going to try.
The inbuilt protection turned off when I put a Norton 60 Trial on, do you know how to turn it back on.

I really wish I'd gone to Norton on Line but ebay loads cheaper.
i
"seller just keeps saying it will work fine if I download W 7". That's just rubbish. Ask for your money back.
Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 14:39
Dai13371
Forum Member

I really personally dont see the need to purchase anti virus software in this day and age. There are plenty of free suites out there.

I know brand name = piece of mind, but I find that they interfere far too much.

I think there are foure well known anti virus suites compatible with Windows 8. Bit defender, Avast, Panda Cloud (my personal choice....like a little guardian angel) and Windows Defender (from Microsoft, comes built in but damn does it slow the machine down). As for firewalls, every modern router has a hardware firewall built in which does more than enough to protect the PC. You can test this by going to the Shields Up website.

soon as I get a new lappy, Mcafee or Norton comes right off.

Bottom line is, if you cant get Norton working, dont worry too much. Try one of those four, Panda I would go for, and say Malwarebytes Free edition (don't enable the trial, decline it) and I guarantee that as long as you are proactive in protecting your machine, you wont go wrong.
Dai13371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 22:05
Loobster
Forum Member

Windows 8 and Norton ... dear god ... why would you do that to yourself.
Loobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 23:42
cnbcwatcher
Forum Member

Here's a very good reason not to use Norton: http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...iled-44-times/
cnbcwatcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 18:55
gds1972
Forum Member

Can you download a demo version of Norton 360 and then where it has Subscription Status select renew hopefully you can then enter the product key there.
gds1972 is offline   Reply With Quote