Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

What happened to Russ Abbot?

Old 30-01-2013, 13:23
SkipTracer
Forum Member

Yes, I remember the airman. He also used to do James Bond skit where he'd dress in a wet suit and flippers.
The name is Bond, Basildon Bond.

I think the pilot thing from memory was a send up of Biggles.
SkipTracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 30-01-2013, 13:29
Ellef
Forum Member

I think he suffered a heart attack at some point. He appeared on Harry Hill's TV Burp at some stage in the last couple of years sending himself up about it.
Ellef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 18:27
Big Boy Barry
Forum Member

I'm sure he's doing fine.
Big Boy Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 18:39
Verence
Forum Member

Barratt Holmes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMEbCm4H8pU

Basildon Bond http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l94eoiwdt9U

Cooperman and Blunderwoman http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwd9apG72IE
Verence is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 19:04
scatcatcathy
Forum Member

I remember him being in sarah jane and know he does do a lot of stage work which is good for him but not me,all this cowell shite or dancing on shite! I enjoyed his show with his different characters and I reckon my children would too. Maybe its an age thing that itv dont like/or a kiss cowells arse channel. Has russ abbot ever said why hes not on t.v as much.?
scatcatcathy is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 19:49
Vodka_Drinka
Forum Member

I remember him being in sarah jane and know he does do a lot of stage work which is good for him but not me,all this cowell shite or dancing on shite! I enjoyed his show with his different characters and I reckon my children would too. Maybe its an age thing that itv dont like/or a kiss cowells arse channel. Has russ abbot ever said why hes not on t.v as much.?
I'd imagine he's not on TV as much because he's considered a bit "passed it", and his act is seen as old fashioned now. But your right though , ITV is basically an extension of Simon Cowell's bottom these days.
Vodka_Drinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 19:53
degsyhufc
Forum Member

I can't see how though. He doesn't do 'his act' anymore. He's basically a 'serious' actor these days.
I know some of his roles may have been more lighthearted but it's acting in tv shows and not sketch comedy.

I do wonder why the likes of him and Dennis haven't transferred to other roles. There are plenty of others who have gone from the light entertainment route into drama.
degsyhufc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 20:22
HelenSnowflake
Forum Member

My husband is some kind of distant relation to him....think some kind of distant cousin or other!!
HelenSnowflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 20:29
daveycrocket222
Forum Member

Last time I saw him on tv burp when him and harry hill were messing about doing fake heart attacks.
daveycrocket222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 20:43
scatcatcathy
Forum Member

I can't see how though. He doesn't do 'his act' anymore. He's basically a 'serious' actor these days.
I know some of his roles may have been more lighthearted but it's acting in tv shows and not sketch comedy.

I do wonder why the likes of him and Dennis haven't transferred to other roles. There are plenty of others who have gone from the light entertainment route into drama.
I get what you mean he has progressed into the odd bit of drama,just seemed as a kid he was there at the height of his popularity and
then gone. On a saturday night these days im forever relying on d.v.ds.!
scatcatcathy is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 21:13
milliejo
Forum Member

I loved his gift for word play, I had forgotten how funny he was.....Like so many good comedians he is a very good straight actor.
milliejo is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 09:35
Vodka_Drinka
Forum Member

Thanks Verence.

Ahhhh the good old days!
Old 31-01-2013, 11:20
workhorse
Inactive Member

I saw him on stage in london years ago,he gave a very good show.
workhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 12:15
alfster
Forum Member

I loved his gift for word play, I had forgotten how funny he was.....Like so many good comedians he is a very good straight actor.
Comedy is acting though - even stand-up - the comedian, a lot of the time is being someone they aren't.

They understand timing and pacing can remember lines etc hence will make good straight actors.
alfster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:27
chris1978
Forum Member

I used to love the Russ Abbot show when I was a kid. Didn't Sherrie Hewson star in the show quite a bit?

I remember he used to do a funny Scottish bloke a lot that no-one could understand. In one sketch he applied for a job as a train station announcer and in the interview no -one could understand a word so they said "excellent you are just what we are looking for, you've got the job"

Probably a lot of politically incorrect stuff now but I liked it.
chris1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 18:10
degsyhufc
Forum Member

Don't remember that but do remember "see you Jimmy!" with all the Scottish stereotypes
degsyhufc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 20:45
DaveNightingale
Forum Member

People forget that Russ was the drummer for the Black Abbotts before making it solo.

Here's a sketch where he shows his own talent against that of a man with many,the late Roy Castle...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rpo-8B4IW4Q
DaveNightingale is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 20:56
psouth
Forum Member

People forget that Russ was the drummer for the Black Abbotts before making it solo.

Here's a sketch where he shows his own talent against that of a man with many,the late Roy Castle...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rpo-8B4IW4Q
i remember him.. he was good in the old days
psouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 22:13
Vodka_Drinka
Forum Member

I used to love the Russ Abbot show when I was a kid. Didn't Sherrie Hewson star in the show quite a bit?

I remember he used to do a funny Scottish bloke a lot that no-one could understand. In one sketch he applied for a job as a train station announcer and in the interview no -one could understand a word so they said "excellent you are just what we are looking for, you've got the job"

It probably would be politically incorrect now, but to be honest most comedies and comedians from the past are. I've seen old episodes of Only Fools and Horses that tread on dodgy ground and would not doubt offend some people. Times have changed, and I'm not sure if its for the best.
Old 01-02-2013, 22:56
Middleotroad
Forum Member

Jimmy McJimmy (of Invercockaleekie Castle) was the character.

Here's a clip of Jimmy, politically incorrect in a way Russ could never have imagined!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DQdSuQt0iM
Middleotroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 22:59
CM
Forum Member

C U Jimmy & his 'hit' Atmosphere are all I remember about him.

I doubt he'd be that funny now though!
He appeared on Harry Hill show last year and was very funny.
CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 23:13
chris1978
Forum Member

Jimmy McJimmy (of Invercockaleekie Castle) was the character.

Here's a clip of Jimmy, politically incorrect in a way Russ could never have imagined!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DQdSuQt0iM
Ha brilliant!
chris1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 23:54
zx50
Forum Member

Oh yeah, definitely. It's too 'going with the flow' to be 100% suitable these days, which is a shame.
zx50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 00:11
pixiemushroom
Forum Member

I now have his song Atmospher going round my head. I don't think we will ever see TV like his show anymore. I spend friday & saturday nights trawling through channels for something good. Yes I've watched some of the reality programmes but I'm so fed up with instant reality celebs! People like Russ Abbot came to entertainment through the clubs & pubs & learnt their art. Instant celebs are just faces stuffed on our screens with hardly any talent. I didn't want to watch CBB but i ended up watching bits of it & what was interesting was that the instant celebs seemed to swear & scream where as the others were not so foul.
pixiemushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 00:23
samwalk
Forum Member

Don't see why his humour would not stand up today, and if it didn't it can change. Read a biography of Morecombe and Wise to see how they changed over the years, they did not start off as a pair of idiots. Or look at Frankie Howard, went out of fashion but came back big three times.

It's quite possible he is comfortably off and doesn't feel the desperate need to be top of the bill, they way some stars do. Plenty of stars take their foot off the accelerator after 5 years of headlines and go into semi-retirement doing things they enjoy instead of a constant round of provincial theatres, bland hotel rooms and 1,000 miles a week travelling.
samwalk is offline   Reply With Quote