Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Is it safe to use a second hand mifi device?

Old 30-01-2013, 20:15
Glint
Forum Member

Hello,

So I have just bought a used/second hand mifi device on eBay. I plan to use a new sim in it. My question is could there be any malicious software on the mifi device itself that could steal personal info or damage devices?

If so, what could I do to make sure it's safe?

Many thanks!
Glint is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 30-01-2013, 21:21
chrisjr
Forum Member

To the best of my knowledge there is no way to store any data onto a MiFi device. So no chance of anyone putting something malicious on it. A USB dongle is another matter. That can have files stored on it. My dongle for example stores the installation files for the drivers and other software. So that does have potential to install something malicious.

A MiFi device connects via WiFi to your computer so no need to install anything on your computer as it looks just like any landline router.
chrisjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 21:52
Glint
Forum Member

Ah, ok - that's really useful. Thanks for the reply. So there should be no problem for me to use it straight away? Was considering plugging it in to my pc and doing a security check, but as you say, it isn't like a drive so not sure if that'll do anything!
Glint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 15:01
ih8mondays
Forum Member

When buying a second hand mifi type device, it might be worth changing the WIFI key, assuming you can do that.

Just in case the previous owner (or users) of the device still has that wifi connection saved in their computer/phone.

Very unlikely with an ebay sale, but if you bought one from your neighbour etc, they might end up using your allowance without realising!
ih8mondays is offline   Reply With Quote