Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

BT Sports Channel 2013 on Freeview?

Old 02-02-2013, 13:13
dathomson91
Forum Member

hello do you think the new BT Sports channels will be availble on freeview (around 10 -15 a month subscription) hope so
i live in Beverley, East yorkshire where you can't get BT Vision because of KC(Kingston Communications dominant hold of Beverley,Hull etc.
dathomson91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 02-02-2013, 13:22
jj20x
Forum Member

hello do you think the new BT Sports channels will be availble on freeview (around 10 -15 a month subscription) hope so
i live in Beverley, East yorkshire where you can't get BT Vision because of KC(Kingston Communications dominant hold of Beverley,Hull etc.
Probably not, BT appear to be moving away from the DTT platform and towards IPTV.
jj20x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 13:25
DragonQ
Forum Member

Indeed, you will likely need a YouView box, or maybe even a BT YouView box (or Sky/Virgin).
DragonQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 13:29
VisionMan1
Inactive Member

Hi,

Kingston Communications offer YouView too -

http://www.kc.co.uk/home/tv

But I don't know if they will have access to the sports channels. I suppose you could always ring them to ask.
VisionMan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 14:08
albertd
Forum Member

hello do you think the new BT Sports channels will be availble on freeview (around 10 -15 a month subscription)
It cannot be on Freeview if there is a subscription. By definition, to be on Freeview it must be free.
albertd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 14:13
DragonQ
Forum Member

It cannot be on Freeview if there is a subscription. By definition, to be on Freeview it must be free.
It is assumed that he meant DTT.
DragonQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 14:15
VisionMan1
Inactive Member

Freeview channels 34, 41 & 42 are all Sports subscription channels, at the moment. And there are others too.

Edit - As DragonQ says - DTT.
Old 02-02-2013, 15:16
albertd
Forum Member

It is assumed that he meant DTT.
Yes, that is precisely my point.
albertd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 17:20
jj20x
Forum Member

You would have more of a point if Freeview was anything more than a brand name marketed by DTV Services Limited.

People refer to DTT as Freeview just as they refer to their vacuum cleaners as Hoovers.
jj20x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 17:55
VisionMan1
Inactive Member

You would have more of a point if Freeview was anything more than a brand name marketed by DTV Services Limited.

People refer to DTT as Freeview just as they refer to their vacuum cleaners as Hoovers.
Top post.
Old 02-02-2013, 18:14
ashjf
Forum Member

Hi,

Kingston Communications offer YouView too -

http://www.kc.co.uk/home/tv

But I don't know if they will have access to the sports channels. I suppose you could always ring them to ask.
They don't seem to offer anything extra with it, 12 a month extra on top of your phone & broadband bundle & all you get is the FREE iplayer, itv player, 4OD & Demand 5, how can they charge 12 per month for that?!?
ashjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 18:27
VisionMan1
Inactive Member

They don't seem to offer anything extra with it, 12 a month extra on top of your phone & broadband bundle & all you get is the FREE iplayer, itv player, 4OD & Demand 5, how can they charge 12 per month for that?!?
Now that I've read it, I agree. 12 per month x 24 = 288.

And at retail you can buy a box now for less than 250!

Sorry for suggesting it.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:37
grahamb676
Forum Member

ESPN is provided by top up tv on the DTT platform, so they may also decide to pick up the BT channel.
I can't help but feel it will go the same way as Setanta and ITV Football did a few years ago and go bust.
grahamb676 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:16
freetoview33
Forum Member

I don't think ESPN will be able to survive and will head the same way as Setanta it is a shame Setanta went under. Just hope BT can survive it needs a company with VERY deep pockets to take on Sky and BT might just be able to if they improve there game.

Part of me thinks BT would want Top Up on board to try pull in extra viewers and encourage more viewers. But can Top up survive? It needs sports to keep going and if BT does pull ss1 and 2 from DTT or at least not letting Top Up have them I really think it won't be able to carry on.
freetoview33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:54
Rmcdowell
Forum Member

BT own the capacity on Freeview for channels 41/42 on which they broadcast Sky Sports 1/2. I'd be surprised if they didn't drop the Sky channels in place of their own channels.
Rmcdowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:19
stuntmaster
Forum Member

this is a the problem

many think freeview must 100% be free, theyre right too! however!

Freeview is merely a service that runs on DTT, top-up TV and ESPN are separate services that run on DTT, not Freeview.

There seems to be a strange understanding by some, that channels must launch on DTT, and they think because it says freeview it must be free.

Oh those endless threads about new channels and people saying sky1.....
stuntmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 18:48
VisionMan1
Inactive Member

this is a the problem

many think freeview must 100% be free, theyre right too! however!

Freeview is merely a service that runs on DTT, top-up TV and ESPN are separate services that run on DTT, not Freeview.

There seems to be a strange understanding by some, that channels must launch on DTT, and they think because it says freeview it must be free.

Oh those endless threads about new channels and people saying sky1.....
Agree. But, query - do TUTV have the ability to access Multicast IPTV channels? As that's how they will be 'broadcast' over TT's and BT's BB networks.
Old 04-02-2013, 19:15
1andrew1
Forum Member

Due to different technical standards in the KC area there's no LLU, so substantially less competition and hence the ability of KC to charge this price.
The only possible benefits which I don't pretend are worth 12pm, are:[LIST][*]Broadband usage ugraded to the next level, in some cases this means unlimited.[*]Lifetime warranty with the caveat "is applicable only during the term of taking the TV service with us." I guess this means whilst still paying out 12pm.[/LIST]
Meanwhile,in Jersey, JT is giving YouView boxes free to all new broadband subscribers. http://www.jtglobal.com/Jersey/Perso...ducts/YouView/
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote