Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Charlie Brooker's Weekly Wipe - 31st January 9pm - BBC2

Old 02-02-2013, 12:21
Supratad
Forum Member

She can't be doing that bad. He had a permenant slot in a sketch/standup show last year and now appears to have a regular slot in the Wipe programmes.
Indeed, the lovely Diane Morgan she is. Kept reminding me of Sara Cox, but I've just found out they are both Boltonites of course.
Supratad is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 02-02-2013, 15:51
StargateNerd_24
Forum Member

Something I did notice, for the second Wipe running he had a go at Obama for the drone strikes in Pakistan, I get the feeling that the influence of his wife and her family is coming through here, because Obama is usually a saint to our left-wing entertainment community.
People just like Obama over here as he has the 'cool' factor and isn't a right wing nut job.

The left are critical of his policies as they don't think left wing enough and supports war yet the right think he is too soft and hates Israel.
StargateNerd_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 16:09
Big Boy Barry
Forum Member

The Africa bits were hilarious.
Big Boy Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 16:33
Hound of Love
Forum Member

Nobody in TV or the media in this country criticises Obama though, and the BBC has a particularly sycophantic attitude towards him.

Since when?

You must have been delighted with Brooker's criticism of him, though.
Hound of Love is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 16:52
iamsofired
Forum Member

The section on splash was great.
iamsofired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 17:35
degsyhufc
Forum Member

Indeed, the lovely Diane Morgan she is. Kept reminding me of Sara Cox, but I've just found out they are both Boltonites of course.
She reminds me of Lauren Laverne. Strange as they come from opposite sides of the country but there is something about the voice sound/pattern.
degsyhufc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 23:20
doom&gloom
Inactive Member

That is a very good point that passed my mind too at the time, as you rarely hear criticism of Obama over here in the UK and I did think "Oh, unusual" as he said it. His Blue Peter bride didn't enter my head until you mentioned it however, but she has always seemed highly opinionated herself, so it is a valid question.
Just seen this as well:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/...ipe-shows.html
doom&gloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 23:21
doom&gloom
Inactive Member

[/b]

Since when?

You must have been delighted with Brooker's criticism of him, though.
It is nice to have a bit of balance.
doom&gloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 23:24
yakutz
Forum Member

The section on splash was great.
I think in general Brooker is in his element when disecting TV. Screenwipe was his best work, and even with Newswipe the best parts were his analysis of the way the news was broadcast, as opposed to the stories themselves. I felt the same with this - the stuff on TV was fantastic, the rest was so-so. Really liked Richard Osman in the Django discussion as well.
yakutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 23:41
StaxVolt
Forum Member

Splash - featuring some of the best celebrity plummeting since Rod Hull ... genius
StaxVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 00:21
Vast_Girth
Forum Member

I think in general Brooker is in his element when disecting TV. Screenwipe was his best work, and even with Newswipe the best parts were his analysis of the way the news was broadcast, as opposed to the stories themselves. I felt the same with this - the stuff on TV was fantastic, the rest was so-so. Really liked Richard Osman in the Django discussion as well.
I think the best thing he has ever done is the "How TV ruined your LIfe" series, which seems to have gone under the radar for a lot of people.
Vast_Girth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 00:40
Glowbot
Inactive Member

I think the best thing he has ever done is the "How TV ruined your LIfe" series, which seems to have gone under the radar for a lot of people.
That was good.

I think newswipe was genius though.
Glowbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:14
Declan_Khan
Forum Member

I think a lot of people felt he recycled material from Screenwipe and Newswipe for How Tv Ruined Your Life, particularly the Threads focused episode.
Declan_Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:58
brangdon
Forum Member

I think in general Brooker is in his element when disecting TV. Screenwipe was his best work, and even with Newswipe the best parts were his analysis of the way the news was broadcast, as opposed to the stories themselves.
Agreed. One advantage of Screenwipe is that he had the production time to really go to town. My favourite episode was the one about mission documentaries, where he starts off sitting on a sofa swearing at the telly, and ends up making a mission documentary of his own. I can't see anything like that happening in this topical weekly show as there just wouldn't be the production time.

Still, this was good, though. I enjoyed every segment. I'd rather he did this than 10 O'Clock Live (which always seemed less than the sum of its parts), or his panel game.

Edited to add:
I saw it. I prefer this.
brangdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 18:11
degsyhufc
Forum Member

I think in general Brooker is in his element when disecting TV. Screenwipe was his best work, and even with Newswipe the best parts were his analysis of the way the news was broadcast, as opposed to the stories themselves.
Glad the show was on just for those bits. Those sketches of how news reports are made are excellent.
Old 03-02-2013, 18:59
sheff71
Forum Member

Liked the bit with Richard Osman (although that's more to do with Richard being a quality guest as usual), it'll be interesting to see how it goes when some of the lesser celebs are on...

The Doug Stanhope bit was better than expected, and the Africa segment, and overall it was pretty solid throughout (though I can see why many didn't like the film review - it did seem bolted on a little - as Richard said, perhaps this should be on the red button...)
sheff71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 19:25
Gregory Shape
Forum Member

Liked the bit with Richard Osman (although that's more to do with Richard being a quality guest as usual), it'll be interesting to see how it goes when some of the lesser celebs are on..
Like Sarah Millican next week for instance. Although that's probably something for another popular thread on here...
Gregory Shape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 19:48
degsyhufc
Forum Member

To how many outside of Pointless is Richard Osman a celeb?
Old 03-02-2013, 21:43
fayebeatle
Forum Member

To how many outside of Pointless is Richard Osman a celeb?
Well, Richard Osman is on tv almost everyday. I think that may qualify, also, he is Heat magazine current ' celebrity weird crush' winner. So I think he's on the right path celeb-wise.
fayebeatle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 00:13
Vast_Girth
Forum Member

I think a lot of people felt he recycled material from Screenwipe and Newswipe for How Tv Ruined Your Life, particularly the Threads focused episode.
I cant deny that he re-used stuff, but i think he took some of the strongest bits of wipe and used them in context in a coherent way. Don't get me wrong i love wipe as well. I wish he was doing a full series of Gameswipe though
Vast_Girth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:06
GrouchoM
Forum Member

Bit disappointing really - about time we saw something truly original from Brooker, even his recent drama was a spoof. He's fast becoming a pastiche of himself.
He's obviously in a comfort zone so suggest he milks it for all it's worth.
GrouchoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:30
grimtales1
Forum Member

currently reading Dawn of the Dumb at the moment. Had a LOL moment on the bus when I read the line 'Kinga (from Big Brother) thinks Alcopops is the noise you get when you pull the bottle out'.
I read that one, some articles made me LOL also, and it was interesting reading them in hindsight (eg his bits about XF 2006 saying Dionne wouldnt win simply because she was black - and yet Leona won that year)
I have his new book "I Can Make You Hate" but not started it yet
grimtales1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 16:45
IC89
Forum Member

Loved Doug Stanhope's segment, especially the bit about Hitler trying to help us and rebuilding it brick by brick like it was 1100 years ago

Agree on the sentiments about the film review. Unecessary and ruins the flow of the show. I'm not a huge film person either so it really didn't hold my interest.

Fill the film review with the normal stuff and it would be outstanding as usual!
IC89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 20:52
jcafcw
Forum Member

Bit disappointing really - about time we saw something truly original from Brooker, even his recent drama was a spoof. He's fast becoming a pastiche of himself.
Pretty much every artist endlessly repeats himself.

Very few artists continually come up with new stuff.

Unless you can name an infinite list of artists continually coming up with new material all the time that is.
jcafcw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 21:57
wolfticket
Forum Member

It is a worthy thing to just be a satirist in various forms.
Saying he should do something different that is more original is like telling a chef to do something more original, like repair a motorbike.
wolfticket is offline   Reply With Quote