Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

ITV just couldn't resist it - the little DOG.

Old 21-01-2013, 17:49
Gilbertoo
Forum Member

The worst is during many football matches where you have the channel DOG in one corner, the score/time in another and regular screen pop-ups from below. It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't think too many people still owned 4:3 screens.....so hey, let's plonk the info in the most intrusive positions!
Gilbertoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 21-01-2013, 17:56
Avidian
Forum Member

When Jay Hunt, Chief Creative Officer of Channel 4, was the controller of BBC One...the BBC "accidently" introduced a animated Graham Norton IPP (in-programme prompts) to advertise that “Over The Rainbow” would be on next...ruining the ending of the Doctor Who episode "The Time of Angels".

http://youtu.be/kyD-Vc4MUi8?t=8s

I fear that intrusive DOGs and annoying IPPs are the future
Avidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 18:16
TerraCanis
Forum Member

Time to re-introduce the dog licence as the DOG licence.

£150,000 per channel per minute that the DOG is shown.
TerraCanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 03:45
SuperAPJ
Forum Member

Well, who could resist a little dog?
SuperAPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 23:08
potatolegs
Forum Member

incredibly faint though. you can barely see it. Hardly obscures the screen. Apparently it is something the customer wants as they forget what channel they're watching.
potatolegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 23:29
Sylvia
Forum Member

Noooooo, if you don't know the acronym then why wouldn't you expect a dog?
The OP was probably trying to catch most of us out anyway!
Sylvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 23:33
Lizzy11268
Forum Member

I am SO bookmarking that link for use in other threads
Lizzy11268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 23:36
Souffle Girl
Inactive Member

I feel like I'm the only person on DS who isn't bothered by these in the slightest, not even the bigger/uglier ones.

I do dislike In Programme Pointers and the end credits being ruined though, I'll admit. That's just a step too far.
Souffle Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 17:48
JAK99
Forum Member

I feel like I'm the only person on DS who isn't bothered by these in the slightest, not even the bigger/uglier ones.
That's what conditioning does for you!

JAK
JAK99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 17:51
tellywatcher73
Forum Member

Didn't notice it before, do now, thanks for that!
tellywatcher73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 18:13
boredof_lurking
Forum Member

I haven't seen a little dog - just the ITV logo
I was sat scratching my head thinking exactly the same thing, and puzzled how I managed to miss it!
boredof_lurking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 18:35
barbeler
Forum Member

I hate the damned things and thoroughly resent them. I watch programmes I want to see and couldn't care less which channel it's on (unless it's on ITV, when I would start to worry). As all remote controls have an info button they're obsolete anyway.

It took me ages to realise that you get rid of that irritating "press red" irritant on BBC by pressing the green button. Before that, it used to annoy me so much that I used to Blu-Tak a piece of paper over it.
barbeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 18:39
Scarlett O Hara
Inactive Member

Count me in as another who doesn't care. Although we appear to be a minority. I couldn't imagine letting something like that wind me up as much as it appears to affect some people. Mental!
Scarlett O Hara is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 18:45
Takae
Forum Member

I don't know if I should say this as I don't watch TV lately, but if it's what I think it is, it's probably an anti-counterfeit tactic.

Mostly to stop TV companies complaining about dodgy DVD sellers from taping and passing TV programmes and drama off as a real thing. I know the proposal was discussed during a digital television conference a while ago, but I don't know if it was ever put in action. Maybe it has?
Takae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 15:05
Bill Clinton
Forum Member

I don't know if I should say this as I don't watch TV lately, but if it's what I think it is, it's probably an anti-counterfeit tactic.

Mostly to stop TV companies complaining about dodgy DVD sellers from taping and passing TV programmes and drama off as a real thing. I know the proposal was discussed during a digital television conference a while ago, but I don't know if it was ever put in action. Maybe it has?
Sky's policy on this works the best, they don't annoy viewers with a permanent logo throughout the programme, but have it going in and out of breaks, a perfect solution. Clearly this would prevent copies being passed off as genuine whilst leaving a clear picture to enjoy the vast majority of the time, ITV needs to do this.
It's quite cheapening to make the main ITV channel feel like another typical multi channel in this way.
Bill Clinton is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote