Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Films with a unique style or format

Old 03-02-2013, 19:13
warszawa
Forum Member

Open Your Eyes / Vanilla Sky. In and out of the lucid dream.
warszawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 03-02-2013, 19:48
RebelScum
Forum Member

Open Your Eyes / Vanilla Sky. In and out of the lucid dream.
Mmm, I'd say they share too many similarities with Jacob's Ladder to be regarded as unique.
RebelScum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 20:12
rfonzo
Forum Member

A lot of foreign language films have a 'unique' narrative structure, one example being the Polish film Blind Chance.Krzysztof Kieślowski's film presents a character who runs for a train and there is three different scenario 's for the outcome in which he misses the train or not.
rfonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 20:16
RebelScum
Forum Member

A lot of foreign language films have a 'unique' narrative structure, one example being the Polish film Blind Chance.Krzysztof Kieślowski's film presents a character who runs for a train and there is three different scenario 's for the outcome in which he misses the train or not.
So as far as uniqueness goes I guess that puts Run Lola Run out of the...running.
Old 03-02-2013, 22:14
jules1000
Forum Member

Pulp Fiction.

Star Wars in that they were Prequels made many years later than the originals.
jules1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 00:43
rfonzo
Forum Member

So as far as uniqueness goes I guess that puts Run Lola Run out of the...running.
Run Lola Run as well as Blind Chance are both good films, if you get a chance to see the one I have mentioned, you will will be intrigued by the narrative structure and it forces you to think about how life is a game of chance.
Old 04-02-2013, 18:12
degsyhufc
Forum Member

The Princess Bride

It starts of in reality with the grandfather being the narrator. It then goes into the fairy tale but a few times breaks backout into reality with the grandfather and grandson talking.
degsyhufc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 18:22
degsyhufc
Forum Member

Who Framed Roger Rabbit

There must have been earlier films that combined live action with animation. Did Mary Poppins do it?
degsyhufc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 18:40
CBFreak
Forum Member

Who Framed Roger Rabbit

There must have been earlier films that combined live action with animation. Did Mary Poppins do it?
Mary Poppins had them jumping into a picture scene and dancing with Penguins and horses. There was also Song of the South.

Terry Gilliam films all have this sort of otherworldly fantasy feels that are unique to him.

The Company of Wolves is also quite an interesting movie. Following into the fairytail dreams of a girl coming into puberty.

And if you want really surreal then The City of Lost Children.

Identity is also another interesting style. I won't spoil it by saying why though.
CBFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 18:54
CLL Dodge
Forum Member

Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Gene Kelly danced with Tom & Jerry in Anchors Aweigh [1945]
CLL Dodge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 22:51
rfonzo
Forum Member

Mary Poppins had them jumping into a picture scene and dancing with Penguins and horses. There was also Song of the South.

Terry Gilliam films all have this sort of otherworldly fantasy feels that are unique to him.

The Company of Wolves is also quite an interesting movie. Following into the fairytail dreams of a girl coming into puberty.

And if you want really surreal then The City of Lost Children.

Identity is also another interesting style. I won't spoil it by saying why though.
I keep meaning to see that. It was directed by Jean Paul Jeanut who also directed 'Ameile' and 'Delicatessen' is that film any good?
Old 06-02-2013, 01:10
Deserana 12
Forum Member

Buried

(whole film in a coffin)
Deserana 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:46
CBFreak
Forum Member

I keep meaning to see that. It was directed by Jean Paul Jeanut who also directed 'Ameile' and 'Delicatessen' is that film any good?
It's very good but you probably do need a wide lens of understanding to enjoy it.
CBFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:20
Jenzen
Forum Member

Tron. Which still looks pretty good today to me

Irreversable, complete backwards film which is a bit hurtful to the brain but makes sense only when you have watched the entire film.
Jenzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 15:24
Takae
Forum Member

Who Framed Roger Rabbit

I lost 5 points in a pub trivia contest for believing Song of the South (1946) was the first film to combine live action and animation.

The correct answer is Anchors Aweigh (1945), starring Frank Sinatra and Gene Kelly. The animation comes in form of Jerry, the bloody mouse from the Tom and Jerry cartoon series.

The screaming pain of losing five points still echoes within me.
Takae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 16:07
RebelScum
Forum Member

Irreversible, complete backwards film which is a bit hurtful to the brain but makes sense only when you have watched the entire film.
That was just copying the Seinfeld backwards episode.
Old 06-02-2013, 16:23
welwynrose
Forum Member

That was just copying the Seinfeld backwards episode.
Or Memento

What about the original Thomas Crown Affair - loved the way they used the split screens scenes during the film

http://youtu.be/ELgjuHTbT3o
welwynrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 16:26
Takae
Forum Member

What about the original Thomas Crown Affair - loved the way they used the split screens scenes during the film

http://youtu.be/ELgjuHTbT3o
Same with Grand Prix and a Doris Day film (can't remember which). I enjoyed those split-screen scenes.
Old 07-02-2013, 13:24
ironjade
Forum Member

"The Asphyx", a classy horror movie in which most of the action takes place in long shot so it's like watching a play.
ironjade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 13:26
ironjade
Forum Member

I lost 5 points in a pub trivia contest for believing Song of the South (1946) was the first film to combine live action and animation.

The correct answer is Anchors Aweigh (1945), starring Frank Sinatra and Gene Kelly. The animation comes in form of Jerry, the bloody mouse from the Tom and Jerry cartoon series.

The screaming pain of losing five points still echoes within me.
I'm not sure even this is correct. Live action and animation had been combined in silent movies, e.g. Gertie the Dinosaur.
ironjade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 17:27
Takae
Forum Member

I'm not sure even this is correct. Live action and animation had been combined in silent movies, e.g. Gertie the Dinosaur.
Gertie is a short film, isn't it? The question was something like "What is the first feature-length film to feature live action and animation?"

Having said that, I Googled Gertie the Dinosaur after reading your post and discovered that Anchors Aweigh could be the wrong answer, anyway. The actual first feature film may be The Three Caballeros (1944).
Old 07-02-2013, 17:49
RebelScum
Forum Member

Gertie is a short film, isn't it? The question was something like "What is the first feature-length film to feature live action and animation?"
No mention of feature-length in the question, just "films"...but you knew that
Old 07-02-2013, 22:39
Takae
Forum Member

No mention of feature-length in the question, just "films"...but you knew that
What kind of a pub trivia contest would focus on short films? Come on, you knew that.
Old 07-02-2013, 23:46
rfonzo
Forum Member

The Godfather Part II and Once Upon a Time In America would have been unique for their time because they both juxtaposed between different eras. In the case of The Godfather II it told two narratives simultaneously.