Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

The Ratings Thread (Part 45)

Closed Thread
Old 05-02-2013, 22:09
C14E
Forum Member

The extended running time for The Superbowl has some benefits for CBS. Not least that CBS' Sunday night primetime average of 108.5m set an all time record for US television. Unlike previous years where the "post Superbowl" show would start around 10.30pm, the delay meant that all of primetime was given over to the game. 164.1m Americans watched at least 6 minutes of The Super Bowl, another US TV record.

How big a difference does this make to CBS? Season to date before Sunday their 18-49 average was 2.8 (down 13% year on year) with a viewership average of 11.65m. After The Super Bowl they're up to a 3.2 average (up 5%) and 12.61m.
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 05-02-2013, 22:11
Dancc
Forum Member

Good grief. That's another 25% drop in Total People on last week's already very low premiere.

If the same happens in the UK, then we can expect a rating of ~0.6m for tonight's episode.
Old 05-02-2013, 22:20
AnthonyC
Forum Member

I just peeked into the "ITV Ratings crisis" thread on the broadcasting forum. If you fancy a laugh, do stop by there. The ITV love-in from the usual suspects is in full flow...
Old 05-02-2013, 22:34
Dancc
Forum Member

I just peeked into the "ITV Ratings crisis" thread on the broadcasting forum. If you fancy a laugh, do stop by there. The ITV love-in from the usual suspects is in full flow...
It's cringeworthy, isn't it?

Especially The Posts That Are Written Like This For Some Bizarre Reason OR EVEN LIKE THIS.

Whilst I obviously don't subscribe to the idea that ITV is in crisis, I do find some of the excuses being made for its underperforming shows amusing. Apparently Dancing on Ice is down this year because it's been "overshadowed by Splash."
Old 05-02-2013, 22:41
CD93
Forum Member

Especially The Posts That Are Written Like This For Some Bizarre Reason OR EVEN LIKE THIS.

Whilst I obviously don't subscribe to the idea that ITV is in crisis, I do find some of the excuses being made for its underperforming shows amusing. Apparently Dancing on Ice is down this year because it's been "overshadowed by Splash."
I weep for television.
Old 05-02-2013, 22:54
Glenn A
Forum Member

The usual suspects are always there, just waiting to attack anyone who makes the slightest criticism of ITV. Should TXF show a hefty loss this year again, then the ITVistas will probably claim BBC fanboys and snobs have an agenda to wreck the show, even though it probably is now in its twilight years and people have had enough.
Anyway how come the Superbowl gets over half of the American population watching when our equivalent, the FA Cup final, attracts about 7 million.
Old 05-02-2013, 23:01
iaindb
Forum Member

Does that TV Burp bit where Harry Hill turns to his side and shrugs in bewilderment at the camera.
Old 05-02-2013, 23:16
Glenn A
Forum Member

Just before I log off, should TXF lose another 2 million viewers, they'll probably blame the absence of Red and Black in the schedule, which someone will say wasn't flatlining and the quality was picking up. However, in the interests in balance, nothing can match the abysmal 2 million rating trash BBC One shows on Saturdays now.
Old 05-02-2013, 23:20
Agent F
Forum Member

From what I can gather its just SamuelW pushing his tired old agenda and flagging up anything that reinforces his belief that ITV is in CRISIS!

The usual suspects indeed...
Old 06-02-2013, 02:03
Salv*
Forum Member

Sorry if this is a pain because It will be difficult to find, but I have been on a Gladiators rewatch (mostly original series, and also the legends returning), does anyone know the ratings the show got throughout 1992-1999? I miss Saturday night TV like that Watching back brought so many memories back as being a toddler/kid.

And how did the revival do on Sky1? I'm sure it was doing decently so shocked that they axed it after 2 series.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:59
AnthonyC
Forum Member

From what I can gather its just SamuelW pushing his tired old agenda and flagging up anything that reinforces his belief that ITV is in CRISIS!

The usual suspects indeed...
Hmmm I'm not so sure he's alone in pushing an agenda there...
Old 06-02-2013, 09:04
Polly_Perkins
Forum Member

Interested to see what Dallas gets this week.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:21
kwynne42
Forum Member

Thanks for all that data Rzt.

Looking at ITV key demos:

Entertainment - 16-34 Year Olds

Take Me Out - 7.4
Splash - 6.5
Dancing On Ice - 5.6
The Jonathan Ross Show - 5.1
All Star Family Fortunes - 4.7
DOI: Skate Off - 4.4
You've Been Framed - 3.5

Drama - ABC1 Adults

Lewis - 13.4
Mr Selfridge - 11.9
Midsomer Murders - 10.7

Jonathan Ross's audience profile is insanely good and would be for BBC1 let alone ITV. 27% 16-34 and 59% ABC1. Those are so high that even with his very modest overall figures he's doing enough to get by.

DOI on the other hand seems to be skewing older this year, almost as old as Strictly Come Dancing. Coupled with lower overall figures it's not a pretty picture. ABC1 ratings (where it ties Mr Selfridge for #2 on ITV) are looking comparatively better these days which is quite unusual for an entertainment show.

Great Night Out isn't delivering on any measure it seems.
Great night Out is competitive with the other groups until you reach the 45-54 age group and its numbers collapse.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:38
RobbieSykes123
Forum Member

DIP 6.0m

Series low, but not surprising given drama competition on 2 and 3

6.0m also for EE. Decent considering Em Fm overlap. 7.1m for EF.

Midsomer just ahead of The Mary Berry Story (3.17m to 3.01m)

(all UKTV Ratings and Jake Kanter)
RobbieSykes123 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter  
Old 06-02-2013, 09:44
cylon6
Forum Member

Tom Spilsbury mentioned this yesterday then TV Ratings found the stats. @TVRatingsUK: EastEnders in January was down 690k year-on-year, averaging 8.27m. Emmerdale was down 330k to an average of 7.23m. @TVRatingsUK: In January @itvcorrie had an overnight average of 9.16m, 30,000 up on the same month last year.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:46
RobbieSykes123
Forum Member

Sorry if this is a pain because It will be difficult to find, but I have been on a Gladiators rewatch (mostly original series, and also the legends returning), does anyone know the ratings the show got throughout 1992-1999? I miss Saturday night TV like that Watching back brought so many memories back as being a toddler/kid.

And how did the revival do on Sky1? I'm sure it was doing decently so shocked that they axed it after 2 series.
In its early 90s peak, Gladiators used to get 9-13m. Would build considerably over an autumn run as the nights drew in.

No idea what it fell to by time it was axed.
RobbieSykes123 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter  
Old 06-02-2013, 09:47
Roscoe Barnes
Forum Member

652k for Dallas.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:48
Ice dragon1
Forum Member

DIP 6.0m

6.0m also for EE. Decent considering Em Fm overlap. 7.1m for EF.

Midsomer just ahead of The Mary Berry Story (3.17m to 3.01m)

(all UKTV Ratings and Jake Kanter)
That's pretty good for EE as like you said clashes with ED. Plus it's nice to see DIP maintain steady considering the competition. Btw if anyone could tel me what happened at the end that would be great as I feel asleep up early for work see
Old 06-02-2013, 10:01
Andy Parish
Forum Member

Plus it's nice to see DIP maintain steady considering the competition. Btw if anyone could tel me what happened at the end that would be great as I feel asleep
Spoiler
Old 06-02-2013, 10:23
Polly_Perkins
Forum Member

Really? That saddens me. What will they do?
Old 06-02-2013, 10:29
kwynne42
Forum Member

Move it to 4.15am like they did to Grey's Anatomy.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:20
AlexiR
Forum Member

Good grief. That's another 25% drop in Total People on last week's already very low premiere.

If the same happens in the UK, then we can expect a rating of ~0.6m for tonight's episode.
An entirely predictable turn of events though. The numbers dropped off during the first season and rushing it back so the second season airs during the regular season hasn't helped matters. Not at all sure what TNT were thinking or expecting here beyond the misguided hope that rushing it back as quickly as possible would limit the damage (Five's scheduling of it isn't any better either). Clearly that hasn't worked.

Having said that I suspect things will pick-up noticeably for JR's funeral episode. The trick there will be making a good episode that convinces some of those viewers to stick around for the rest of the run. Of course just generally making a good show in the first place probably would have helped them as well but that's another story.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:25
Dancc
Forum Member

Not that surprising when you see what's happened with the US numbers. It's extraordinary how closely the ratings trajectory over here mirrors the TNT decline.

It will probably be moved to either 8pm or 10pm. I don't believe it can sustain a 9pm slot with those numbers.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:35
i4u
Forum Member

Exhume JR's body and discover the coffin contains the two Princes...should get a good 4m.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:58
iaindb
Forum Member

DIP 6.0m

DIP drop must be down to Midsomer which rated over 1m more than Julian Fellowes last week plus it's light-hearted crime drama against light-hearted crime drama. Midsomer taking advantage of having an Emmerdale lead-in.

DIP adding about 1.3m on timeshift so will still be above 7m in the consolidated.

Closed Thread