Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Recording Options

Old 08-02-2013, 19:18
Blokeypoo
Forum Member

Hi,
I wonder if anyone would be kind enough to help?

My parents have a Sky box but no subscription so essentially use it as Freeview. It is very old so no live pause etc.

I want to get them something to record programmes and am torn between a PVR or a Freeview type box with record to replace the old Sky one. I think though that Freeview with record might require an extra cable fitting (like my Sky+) which they won't entertain.

Can anyone advise me whether this is true? If so I guess I just get them a PVR which I presume won't need more cabling as just connects to Sky box?

Many thanks.
Blokeypoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 08-02-2013, 19:59
Stephen93
Forum Member

The only thing you can connect to a Sky Box is a DVD Recorder, not really worth doing that,

just get Freeview+ Recorder, with that you just connect the power supply ,then the aerial & finally the HDMI cable to the tv & you up & running, not many cables & you will probably have 2 tuners, being able to record 2 programs at once.

There are some reasonably priced Freeview PVRs out there.

Or you could go the Freesat way, which it via satellite , that's just a one off payment, around 150 I think.

Steve
Stephen93 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 20:04
kasg
Forum Member

The biggest question with getting a Freeview PVR is whether they have a TV aerial. If not, then a Freesat PVR would probably be the best option. Either way the Sky box is redundant.
kasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 20:05
Blokeypoo
Forum Member

The only thing you can connect to a Sky Box is a DVD Recorder, not really worth doing that,

just get Freeview+ Recorder, with that you just connect the power supply ,then the aerial & finally the HDMI cable to the tv & you up & running, not many cables & you will probably have 2 tuners, being able to record 2 programs at once.

There are some reasonably priced Freeview PVRs out there.

Or you could go the Freesat way, which it via satellite , that's just a one off payment, around 150 I think.

Steve
Hi, thanks so much for replying. I was worried I'd need another cable running to the dish but it seems not from what you say. Maybe that's just for live pause thingy? I know I've had to have it for Sky+ and an assistant in Comet told me it was the same for Freeview.

Particularly grateful for the advice that I can't connect to Sky box, I wasn't aware!

Thanks again,

Helen
Old 08-02-2013, 20:05
Blokeypoo
Forum Member

The biggest question with getting a Freeview PVR is whether they have a TV aerial. If not, then a Freesat PVR would probably be the best option. Either way the Sky box is redundant.
Hi and thanks. I think they only have a satellite dish now.
Old 08-02-2013, 20:10
kasg
Forum Member

and an assistant in Comet told me it was the same for Freeview.
... and maybe that's one of the reasons there is no longer any such thing as an assistant in Comet
Old 08-02-2013, 20:11
Blokeypoo
Forum Member

... and maybe that's one of the reasons there is no longer any such thing as an assistant in Comet
Lol, you may have a point there
Old 08-02-2013, 20:14
Blokeypoo
Forum Member

Re Comet - I should add it was recordable freeview (in case it makes a difference as to whether it was me or he being a divvy)!
Old 08-02-2013, 20:17
kasg
Forum Member

Re Comet - I should add it was recordable freeview (in case it makes a difference as to whether it was me or he being a divvy)!
Nope, it was him!
Old 08-02-2013, 20:26
Blokeypoo
Forum Member

Thanks guys, that's such a help.

I shall get them a Freesat box with record facility, onto the reviews as we speak! I shall look for one with ability to record one channel whilst watching another if poss. It's not a deal breaker though - Mum will think it's witchcraft as it is!

No engineer needed so don't have to cross that bridge and no "provider" (I presume) so don't have to have the contract either!
Old 08-02-2013, 20:30
David (2)
Forum Member

if you go with a recording freesat (pvr) box to use with the dish then to enable its full potential you will need a Quad LNB upgrade on the dish + an extra cable from the dish to the box (just as you would for Sky+).
David (2) is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 20:35
Blokeypoo
Forum Member

if you go with a recording freesat (pvr) box to use with the dish then to enable its full potential you will need a Quad LNB upgrade on the dish + an extra cable from the dish to the box (just as you would for Sky+).
Ah!

I think if they had it's full potential they would detonate - not terribly techy and in their 70's - will it definitely work if just plugged in/connected as covered in other posts?
Old 08-02-2013, 20:55
chrisjr
Forum Member

Ah!

I think if they had it's full potential they would detonate - not terribly techy and in their 70's - will it definitely work if just plugged in/connected as covered in other posts?
The Humax Freesat PVR can operate in a slightly limited way with a single dish connection.it can record some combinations of two channels, or watch one record another.

If you want the full functionality then two feeds are needed. But if they can live with the restrictions of a single feed that may be an option.

http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/produ...foxsathdr.aspx

By the way I don't know of a single Freeview recorder that requires two aerial connections. So either you or that Comet assistant were confusing Freeview (via an aerial) and Freesat (via a dish)
chrisjr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 21:32
lbear
Forum Member

As the OP's parents had a Sky+ box, the necessary two feeds from a dual/quad LNB will already be available. It is simply a matter of getting a freesat+ box and then attaching the two dish leads, the mains and an HDMI connection,
lbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 21:35
Blokeypoo
Forum Member

Thanks Chrisjr.

Thanks.

It was Freesat we were asking him about so probably me typing Freeview here as that was my latest idea to try to sort them something out....before I realised it needed an aerial. I've always had Sky so not a clue about Freesat/view malarkey!

I've probably covered everyone in confusion!
Old 08-02-2013, 21:36
Blokeypoo
Forum Member

As the OP's parents had a Sky+ box, the necessary two feeds from a dual/quad LNB will already be available. It is simply a matter of getting a freesat+ box and then attaching the two dish leads, the mains and an HDMI connection,
Hi, no, I have Sky+, they have Sky from Noah's Ark!
Old 09-02-2013, 07:41
Blokeypoo
Forum Member

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/search...-criteria.html

Hi Guys, am considering one of these then I think working on the assumption that they will both work with the single cable albeit with limited function.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:31
Sue_Aitch
Forum Member

deleted
Sue_Aitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:34
Sue_Aitch
Forum Member

If I were you. I would check with my parents first just to see what recording possibilities they would like. If the answer is "We wouldn't use the recorder!" you'd know to stick with a receiver rather than a more costly PVR.

http://www.freesat.co.uk/how-to/use-your-sky-dish
Old 09-02-2013, 09:40
kasg
Forum Member

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/search...-criteria.html

Hi Guys, am considering one of these then I think working on the assumption that they will both work with the single cable albeit with limited function.
Why would you want to spend that much? Being a Freeview guy I'm no expert but surely you can get a Freesat PVR for half that amount.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:48
kasg
Forum Member

It was Freesat we were asking him about so probably me typing Freeview here as that was my latest idea to try to sort them something out....before I realised it needed an aerial. I've always had Sky so not a clue about Freesat/view malarkey!
Then I apologise for maligning the poor guy, the difference between Freeview and Freesat is crucial! Freeview is so much simpler, none of this multi-LNB stuff.
Old 09-02-2013, 14:40
David (2)
Forum Member

As they dont have an aerial but do have a dish, freesat is clearly the way to go. If its Just a plain freesat box they can Just plug in. freesat+ pvr recoder needs the LNB upgrade and 2nd cable. I have used the humax recorder with Just 1 cord and found it very limiting, and this in its self would add confusion.
If the dish is very old it will need replacing with the mk4 sky mini dish if u want the new LNB, but the cost is minimal. Same would apply if u were uograding to sky+/hd. very simple job and your guranteed of solid reception of all freesat channels which is not the case with freeview (aerial) option.

Most people have sky, freesat or multi satellite now so this is very standard stuff.
David (2) is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 18:03
Blokeypoo
Forum Member

Thanks for all the advice, they won't entertain having an engineer in hence my having to box and cox on alternatives!

Really grateful for the help, it's over to me and them now!

Thank again.

Helen
Old 09-02-2013, 18:54
Sue_Aitch
Forum Member

Enjoy!

http://switcher.freesat.co.uk/