Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Ofcom Update: Award of the 600 MHz spectrum band

Old 06-02-2013, 21:40
Spot
Forum Member

I reckon they really need to provide some content that isn't simply a duplication of what's already avaialble on Freeview. Many people have no interest in HD. I've got a couple of the cheap Technika HD boxes but I'm using them on the sets in the kitchen and the bedroom. My main box in the living room is a SD PVR, and I see no particular reason to change this as barely anything (and shortly when BBCHD becomes BBC2HD, nothing at all) is available only on an HD box.
Spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 06-02-2013, 21:44
Everything Goes
Forum Member

Nigel Whitfield has posted up his interesting take on Ofcom's hidden agenda

http://gonedigital.net/
Thin edge of the wedge for Digital Switch Over Part 2
Everything Goes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 22:59
Colin_London
Forum Member

Nigel Whitfield has posted up his interesting take on Ofcom's hidden agenda

http://gonedigital.net/
But it's not exactly a hidden agenda is it - if you read the documentation it is clear this is the strategy.

So although many here are downplaying the sale of the 700MHz spectrum, if the government can repeat the trick of the current 4G auction in 8 years time you can be damn sure they will.
Colin_London is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:07
Spot
Forum Member

I don't see any hidden agenda. They're being pretty open about it and we've been discussing it here for some time.

We now know that the earliest the 700Mhz clearance will hapen is 2019. That's six years from now and it'll be virtually ten years since the first areas went through DSO, and the date might slip further. As far as I can see, it's still dependent on what happens elsewhere in Europe. If the rest of Europe agrees to clear broadcasting from that part of the spectrum it would be seen as odd if Ofcom said that the UK won't. They aren't leading this but can see which way the wind is blowing elsewhere and have drawn up plans accordingly.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:43
mossy2103
Forum Member

That purely to stop somebody sitting on the licence - it forces a launch within 12 months from the award.
*cough* Sky *cough*
mossy2103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:46
mossy2103
Forum Member

What will the new 10 HD be then?

BBC Three/CBBC
BBC Four/CBeebies
Channel 5
Any if the UKTV channels maybe?

Any ideas?
Channel 4 will certainly have two channels, seeing as they have already produced a joint proposal.

I doubt if the BBC would entertain the idea of Channel 5, seeing as this is a time-limited proposal with a short time to go live (if you know what i mean )

As for any other channels, that might be up to Arqiva.

There may not even be the full 10 HD channels anyway.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:35
Hybrid tellies
Forum Member

Very interesting. Around here many people would have to switch from a grp c/d aerial to a wideband aerial plus a new box to receive the new channels from Mendip. This would certainly be an insentive for me to replace my STB's with HD or Mpeg4 boxes.
Hybrid tellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 13:08
alcockell
Forum Member

And here we go again with Sky spreading FUD.... "You'll need to sign up to keep your TV service"...
alcockell is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 13:38
kasg
Forum Member

And here we go again with Sky spreading FUD.... "You'll need to sign up to keep your TV service"...
Where did you get this from? Do you have a link?
kasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 13:52
mossy2103
Forum Member

Where did you get this from? Do you have a link?
Isn't that something that some Sky Sales reps have reportedly said previously regarding DSO?
Old 09-02-2013, 14:51
kasg
Forum Member

Yes, I am aware of that, but this claim was presented as something new, with nothing to back it up.
Old 09-02-2013, 15:08
David (2)
Forum Member

So a few extra channels for a few Lucky people. We saw this before. Why do they bother doing this? Why not Just get the new hardware in place over all the country then switch it on so everyone gets it once the power is switched on.
Or Just use satellite, surely carrige cost must b a fraction the cost of all that new groundbased hardware.
David (2) is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 15:30
Spot
Forum Member

So a few extra channels for a few Lucky people. We saw this before. Why do they bother doing this? Why not Just get the new hardware in place over all the country then switch it on so everyone gets it once the power is switched on.
Or Just use satellite, surely carrige cost must b a fraction the cost of all that new groundbased hardware.
They don't know for sure they're going to have to clear 700Mhz yet - if not, there's scope for a wider use of this part of the band but at the moment this is very much an opportunity for a limited period, probably at a cost to anyone taking it up - i.e it will not make a profit - so it has to be as inexpensive as possible.

Not ideal but better than nothing, and it might play a small part in speeding up the eventual changeover to DVB-T2.
Old 09-02-2013, 15:53
mossy2103
Forum Member

Yes, I am aware of that, but this claim was presented as something new, with nothing to back it up.
I took it as something predicting what could happen based upon previous experience/evidence
Old 09-02-2013, 15:56
mossy2103
Forum Member

The BBC does not manage, build or upgrade the transmitters - commercial companies do.

And i would guess that, given the need to get this up and running asap, there would be no time to get a national upgrade/installtion programme planned and completed and leave enough time for the whole process to be worthwhile
Old 09-02-2013, 16:00
Spot
Forum Member

Very interesting. Around here many people would have to switch from a grp c/d aerial to a wideband aerial plus a new box to receive the new channels from Mendip. This would certainly be an insentive for me to replace my STB's with HD or Mpeg4 boxes.
C/D aerials might well work OK if the signal is reasonable - as this chart from Justin Aerial's site shows, their sensitivity drops off very gradually and they can be effective a long way below the part of the band they were intended for.

http://www.aerialsandtv.com/tvaerial...ialGroupsGraph
Old 09-02-2013, 16:34
kasg
Forum Member

I took it as something predicting what could happen based upon previous experience/evidence
OK, it could be read that way I suppose but that's not how I read "here we go again".
Old 09-02-2013, 20:43
Gary of Beeston
Forum Member

If the Arqiva-BBC-C4 venture is the only bidder (which is quite likely), then we will see channels from C4 (probably up to two of More4/Film4/E4) and one BBC channel (BBC3 or BBC4), and possibly the return of 301 HD, plus whatever commercial channels Arqiva can get on board (Dave HD, QVC HD are good bets for starters).
I don't see 301 HD - a part-time channel, broadcasting stuff which isn't always in anything like HD (PQ on the old F1 tapes leaves something to be desired for example) as driving take-up of T2. And if the BBC had the money/will for BBC One HD, BBC Two HD & BBC HD we would have them already - the space is there, after all.

So it's more likely to be HD channels which don't yet exist, or which aren't tied in to long-term carriage deals with Sky, in my opinion.

But whatever they are, they have to be channels which make people *want* to swap over voluntarily, so that the threshold is reached at which point it becomes mandatory.

Gary
Gary of Beeston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 22:58
chrisy
Forum Member

I don't see 301 HD - a part-time channel, broadcasting stuff which isn't always in anything like HD (PQ on the old F1 tapes leaves something to be desired for example) as driving take-up of T2. And if the BBC had the money/will for BBC One HD, BBC Two HD & BBC HD we would have them already - the space is there, after all.

So it's more likely to be HD channels which don't yet exist, or which aren't tied in to long-term carriage deals with Sky, in my opinion.
I'm just quoting from this: http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/bin...l_4_Arqiva.pdf
chrisy is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 14:17
pzboyz
Forum Member

Not convinced this is a veiled move to an SFN.

It just gives people more of a reason to get rid of the old DVB-T only receivers so that every MUX can be converted to T2/MPEG4 at some point. Showing there are more HD channels out there can only be a good thing, as long of course, as the improved bandwidth i used to maintain picture quality.
pzboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 14:35
mossy2103
Forum Member

Not convinced this is a veiled move to an SFN.

It just gives people more of a reason to get rid of the old DVB-T only receivers so that every MUX can be converted to T2/MPEG4 at some point. Showing there are more HD channels out there can only be a good thing, as long of course, as the improved bandwidth i used to maintain picture quality.
Well, this document makes it pretty clear that it is about encouraging the uptake of DVB-T2 kit, with a view to assisting the migration of homes from DVB-T to DVB-T2