Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Doctor Who Fans (Part Ian)

Old 09-02-2013, 15:47
nebogipfel
Forum Member

Christopher Eccleston is Winston Smith in a new two part version of 1984. Starts three pm tomorrow on Radio four. I heard a clip - very good. The Times have given it, and Eccleston's performance, a sparkling review. Worth a listen whether you know the story or not.
nebogipfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 09-02-2013, 19:05
nebogipfel
Forum Member

Mike McShane just interviewed on Loose Ends. Someone mentioned his role as the evil antique collector in Angels Take Manhatten. He said it was great. He was over the moon about being asked - his neices were overjoyed he was in it. He said the cast are really lovely and he had a good time making it. He sounded genuinely chuffed about it.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:09
Muttley76
Forum Member

I was lucky enough to be at the BFI today for Tomb of the Cybermen, such a treat!

Some lovely guests as well - the introduction was by Frank Skinner (who apparently is a big Who fan though I never knew) and Steve Moffat, who told a lovely anecdote about Matt Smith and his enthusiasm for Tomb (he also said Matt is coming back to DW after filming for the Gosling movie). Michael Troughton spoke movingly about his father during the interval, and then the q&a after included Anneke Wills (who looked lovely! ) and Deborah Watling.

They had the chap who played the cyber controller, who was told a couple of amusing stories - one was how he managed to negotiate the pay for a speaking role even though he didn't do the voice, and the other about how after his death scene the crew switched off the lights and headed off for tea, leaving him lying on the floor in the dark!
Muttley76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:15
CoalHillJanitor
Forum Member

I was lucky enough to be at the BFI today for Tomb of the Cybermen, such a treat!

Some lovely guests as well - the introduction was by Frank Skinner (who apparently is a big Who fan though I never knew) and Steve Moffat, who told a lovely anecdote about Matt Smith and his enthusiasm for Tomb (he also said Matt is coming back to DW after filming for the Gosling movie). Michael Troughton spoke movingly about his father during the interval, and then the q&a after included Anneke Wills (who looked lovely! ) and Deborah Watling.

They had the chap who played the cyber controller, who was told a couple of amusing stories - one was how he managed to negotiate the pay for a speaking role even though he didn't do the voice, and the other about how after his death scene the crew switched off the lights and headed off for tea, leaving him lying on the floor in the dark!
Muttley!

Ded jellus

Can you try to recreate the Matt anecdote for us?

edit: never mind, saw it in the other thread
CoalHillJanitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:18
Muttley76
Forum Member

Can you try to recreate the Matt anecdote for us?
He was saying how Matt phoned him up after seeing it soon after being cast, and was so enthralled by Tomb, and raving about how brilliant Pat was for 20 minutes, and that when he hung up he knew that the bow tie was going to be part of his outfit, it was really sweet
Old 10-02-2013, 01:48
CoalHillJanitor
Forum Member

He was saying how Matt phoned him up after seeing it soon after being cast, and was so enthralled by Tomb, and raving about how brilliant Pat was for 20 minutes, and that when he hung up he knew that the bow tie was going to be part of his outfit, it was really sweet
Thanks. Love the way Matt goes on about Troughton.
Old 10-02-2013, 14:35
nebogipfel
Forum Member

Hopefully Matt will encourage Murray to use more bongos.
Old 10-02-2013, 14:38
CoalHillJanitor
Forum Member

Nothing says adventure like bongos.
Old 10-02-2013, 14:48
nebogipfel
Forum Member

I'm just brewing tea getting ready to listen to radio four at 3pm where the ninth Doctor is going to find out what's in room 101. (it's a dalek probably).
Old 10-02-2013, 17:00
Muttley76
Forum Member

Nothing says adventure like bongos.
Lol! this is the kind of stuff you only find in this thread

Anyway, am quite excited re: the Gosling film, I think Matt is a young man who is really going places. We are lucky to have gotten him on the show when we did.
Old 10-02-2013, 18:51
nebogipfel
Forum Member

Lol! this is the kind of stuff you only find in this thread

Anyway, am quite excited re: the Gosling film, I think Matt is a young man who is really going places. We are lucky to have gotten him on the show when we did.
I thought I had no idea who Ryan Gosling is. (i don't mean that in a Ting style "I wear my ignorance of modern culture as a badge of pride" way). But now that I've looked him up I realise I saw him in a film on telly recently. Fracture with Anthony Hopkins. A good old fashioned hokey murder and courtroom drama done in a Columbo style. Gosling was in the "Columbo" role.

We enjoyed it and both me and Mrs Nebo said the really good acting by the young man in the lead role helped it overcome some of the dodgier bits of the script. It's a B movie, but not bad and Gosling definitely helps.
Old 11-02-2013, 13:50
nebogipfel
Forum Member

Just thought I'd bump this thread to remind people that it is here for anyone to post general Who news and chit chat. Or just chit chat. It's the "positive" happy thread. No bickering here. See previous posts for examples. All welcome. It was started by a Who newbie and the perfect place for a quick squee.
Old 14-02-2013, 20:06
davrosdodebird
Forum Member

I remember this from when it first aired, still funny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35uYgSYXtfA
davrosdodebird is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 20:14
Granny McSmith
Forum Member

I remember this from when it first aired, still funny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35uYgSYXtfA
Made me laugh! loved the 9th and 10th.

Just thought I'd bump this thread to remind people that it is here for anyone to post general Who news and chit chat. Or just chit chat. It's the "positive" happy thread. No bickering here. See previous posts for examples. All welcome. It was started by a Who newbie and the perfect place for a quick squee.
Now he tells me.
Granny McSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 20:33
kyllerbuzcut
Forum Member

No bickering?
I'd better leave quick then

On another note- has anyone else heard the rumor going around, about Ricky Gervais taking over writing after Steven Moffat?
kyllerbuzcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 20:55
davrosdodebird
Forum Member

Really? I'd heard he was going to portray an alternative version of the 12th doctor!
davrosdodebird is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 22:13
Muttley76
Forum Member

On another note- has anyone else heard the rumor going around, about Ricky Gervais taking over writing after Steven Moffat?
Really? I'd heard he was going to portray an alternative version of the 12th doctor!
I heard he was going to be The Rani.....
Old 16-02-2013, 11:49
nebogipfel
Forum Member

I heard he was going to be The Rani.....
It's both - the 12th Doctor is going to turn out to have been The Rani all along. with a fobwatch.

In other news, I notice that Granny McSmiths "Antenna Power Overload" thread has recently celebrated its second birthday. But shamefully DS don't seem to have done any Anniversary Celebrations for it at all.
Old 16-02-2013, 17:28
Granny McSmith
Forum Member

It's both - the 12th Doctor is going to turn out to have been The Rani all along. with a fobwatch.

In other news, I notice that Granny McSmiths "Antenna Power Overload" thread has recently celebrated its second birthday. But shamefully DS don't seem to have done any Anniversary Celebrations for it at all.
Good grief! Another stalker!
Old 16-02-2013, 17:36
Muttley76
Forum Member

I'm quite amused by the fact that the Doctor Who twitter accounts tweeting to wish Chris Eccleston many happy returns has been misinterpreted by some people as them announcing he is returning to the series....
Old 16-02-2013, 19:16
nebogipfel
Forum Member

I'm quite amused by the fact that the Doctor Who twitter accounts tweeting to wish Chris Eccleston many happy returns has been misinterpreted by some people as them announcing he is returning to the series....
A single Happy Return is all we wish for.
Old 16-02-2013, 19:24
nebogipfel
Forum Member

Good grief! Another stalker!
I was making vital and valuable comments on the state of something or other in the field of whatever Antenna Power is about and thought Squee! Granny's a thread starter here!

At first I thought Antenna Power Overload were a 70's Prog Rock band. Apparently not. In any case, glad your house didn't burn down.
Old 16-02-2013, 21:16
Granny McSmith
Forum Member

I was making vital and valuable comments on the state of something or other in the field of whatever Antenna Power is about and thought Squee! Granny's a thread starter here!

At first I thought Antenna Power Overload were a 70's Prog Rock band. Apparently not. In any case, glad your house didn't burn down.
How do you know it didn't? I might be sitting here among the ash in my usual stoical and uncomplaining way.

But you're right, it didn't, and I'm still getting the same message flashing on my telly. Ain't technology brilliant?

Sorry - way off topic even for me.

(My other stalker is Coal Hill Janitor, btw, in case you were wondering - he encountered me on some unlikely thread, too. )
Old 17-02-2013, 00:12
CoalHillJanitor
Forum Member

(My other stalker is Coal Hill Janitor, btw, in case you were wondering - he encountered me on some unlikely thread, too. )
Lies! All lies!

Spoiler
Old 20-02-2013, 14:21
CoalHillJanitor
Forum Member

Anything expected for Red Nose Day?