Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Lewis - New Series

Old 12-02-2013, 11:08
david1955
Forum Member

I agree. much as I like Laura, and am glad that Robbie and she finally got together, it was very fitting that the last scene should be just the two cops (ex-cops) having a pint.

Really touching scene.

As Hathaway is leaving the police, and so there won't be the "Hathaway" detective spin off I was hoping for, I think they could do a spin off in which Hathaway is a Parish Priest somewhere in an inner city, dealing with all sorts of situations, including crime.

I'm desperate, aren't I?

Edit; Just seen above post - great minds etc
And they could have a streetwise nun as his assistant played by the Horticultural Hottie, Nadine Lewington .
david1955 is online now   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:08
flyingv
Forum Member

Will will never know, unless there's a new series called Father Hathaway.
I'd watch that show

I felt the balance between Laura/Robbie's relationship and the partnership of they dynamic duo was perfectly split. We know they're together and happy, so there was no need to bash us over the head with it - I loved the scene where they were cosied up watching tv.

Agree with everyone else who loved the final scene. It did kinda feel like it was the end, but like someone else said up-thread, we heard them talk about leaving but we didn't actually see it. On that basis I'm going to hold out hope that they at least come back for a Christmas special or two in the future.
flyingv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 14:51
haphash
Forum Member

I was rather disappointed in the last episode. I guessed it was the mad scientist woman early on. Hathaway jacking it in seemed so unnecessary, what a shame.
haphash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 16:38
SULLA
Forum Member

am I the only one who couldn't stand morse and thought that series was rubbish
There are probably one or two who hate it and millions who love it

Was good to see Dave Quinnan back on the telly!!!
He's got no hair

Hathaway jacking it in seemed so unnecessary, what a shame.
I agree it was a waste. I was hoping he would develope into the type of Sgt we see in Ripper Street

Lewis is entitled to retire but he should have played hardball with Innocent and asked for a promotion. He has been doing the same job as Morse without the rank.
SULLA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 17:55
MJS
Forum Member

I was rather disappointed in the last episode. I guessed it was the mad scientist woman early on. Hathaway jacking it in seemed so unnecessary, what a shame.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's disappointed. It feels as if there are loose ends somewhere and for the life of me I don't know where or why. I wasn't keen on the idea of the 2 x 1 hour programmes instead of the usual 1 x 2 hour, so maybe it had something to do with that. For me it made it feel this last series was a bit bitty.

Having said that I've thoroughly enjoyed all the series.
MJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 19:55
striing
Forum Member

Not without the two main characters.
I know I was being ironic.
striing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 23:01
Geowitch
Forum Member

According to the Oxford Mail http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/you...ay__says_star/ Lewis will be back in 2014. I do hope so - I was so upset at the end thinking that was the last one!
I loved the Morse series but I have enjoyed Lewis even more.
Geowitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 23:43
terri21
Forum Member

if Hathaway didn't come bk maybe that other guy who covers for him while he was in Croatia could come bk,?

explore the story of him seemingly knowing lewis fromt he past
terri21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 10:08
Charenton
Forum Member

I preferred watching this final story as I recorded both episodes and watched them in succession last night. It was much easier to remember who was who and what was going on.

Sorry it's all over, assuming they don't bribe them to return.
Charenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 10:20
gomezz
Forum Member

Ditto. Wish I had done the same now for the earlier stories. Worked much, much better viewed in one longer sitting.
gomezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 11:41
Yvie123
Forum Member

According to the Oxford Mail http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/you...ay__says_star/ Lewis will be back in 2014. I do hope so - I was so upset at the end thinking that was the last one!
I think, having ended it the way they did, and as much I'll really miss the show, it's probably best to close the book on Lewis now, rather than have Robbie seemingly changing his mind about retirement.

The last scene was the perfect way for Lewis and Hathaway to bow out, I thought, and to bring it back now would feel to me as though they were squeezing every last drop from it (memories of Only Fools and Horses spring to mind!)

Plus, I've said before that Hathaway has been one of my favourite TV characters, and I think Laurence Fox has been great, but I did feel throughout this series that he was really ready to stop playing James; maybe it's just me, but I felt like I could almost sense his boredom at times
Yvie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 11:46
nick202
Forum Member

Plus, I've said before that Hathaway has been one of my favourite TV characters, and I think Laurence Fox has been great, but I did feel throughout this series that he was really ready to stop playing James; maybe it's just me, but I felt like I could almost sense his boredom at times
I think you're right there - when he started as Hathaway, he was still a relative unknown but now his career's taken off a bit it must have been a bit of a bind to keep having to come back to the role.
nick202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 13:05
ladydancer1
Forum Member

I watched Morse from start to finish and could'nt believe that Lewis would take off but decided to watch to give it a chance. I've loved the series and Lawerence Fox was brilliant, just the right partner for lewis. I'm sad to see the end of it but hopefully we'll see both actors in other dramas in the future.
I recorded and watched the series in 2hour slots rather than the weekly one hour slots that it went out on. Made it much easier to keep track of who was who and kept the tension going.
ladydancer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 13:46
skp20040
Forum Member

Personally I wil lbe surprised if it comes back, ITV originally were going to axe it if they commissioned Endevaour for a full series then did keep Lewis. But as much as I want Lewis to return , with Lawerence Fox off to the USA I have a feeling that was the last, ITV wont push it I am sure.
skp20040 is online now Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 15:14
Molly Hunt
Forum Member

maybe it's just me, but I felt like I could almost sense his boredom at times
I didn't sense Laurence's 'boredom' at all. Maybe what you were sensing could have been Hathaway's disillusion with the job -good acting therefore?
Molly Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 15:34
Yvie123
Forum Member

I didn't sense Laurence's 'boredom' at all. Maybe what you were sensing could have been Hathaway's disillusion with the job -good acting therefore?

It did cross my mind that he was portraying disillusion, and maybe he was - I'm certainly not disputing he's a good actor; he's helped to make Lewis a cracking series

There were just some points in this series where I felt he wasn't as "involved" as in earlier seasons - but it's all open to intepretation and as you say, may well have been a deliberate thing.
Yvie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 10:39
jette52
Forum Member

Personally I wil lbe surprised if it comes back, ITV originally were going to axe it if they commissioned Endevaour for a full series then did keep Lewis. But as much as I want Lewis to return , with Lawerence Fox off to the USA I have a feeling that was the last, ITV wont push it I am sure.
Lawrence Fox is off to the USA?
jette52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 12:11
radioanorak
Forum Member

Yes with his OH, Billie Piper & their sprogs
radioanorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 12:55
terri21
Forum Member

I know she landed on her feet there eh,how many go from chris evans to someone like Laurence fox,who lets me honest ladys,and some gents is very very good looking and chris evans well...not so much
Old 14-02-2013, 18:26
katie
Forum Member

Laurence Fox - totty for the middle aged woman - or woman of any age!
katie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 22:55
abrightyz
Forum Member

was just catching up on iplayer... S7E4... so delighted to see lewis finally came to his senses and hooked up with dr hobson!! a looong time coming!! lolz!!
abrightyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 14:16
JPB2
Forum Member

The Oxford Times reports that ITV have said that this was not the last of Lewis:
An ITV spokeswoman has confirmed the seventh series of Lewis won’t be the last.

ITV spokeswoman Kate Bain said the detective show’s star Kevin Whately, pictured, would take a break from filming this year.

But Ms Bain added: “We are hoping to film in 2014, whether that is another series or a one-off.”
However, what this article doesn't say is whether or not Laurence Fox will still be in it.
JPB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 15:59
malcy30
Forum Member

The Oxford Times reports that ITV have said that this was not the last of Lewis:

However, what this article doesn't say is whether or not Laurence Fox will still be in it.
It will depend how the work hunt goes in Hollywood. If he gets a TV part or some films he won't be coming back I would think.
malcy30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 16:22
abrightyz
Forum Member

It will depend how the work hunt goes in Hollywood. If he gets a TV part or some films he won't be coming back I would think.

maybe he can join in if it would be just a one off special or something not too extensive.
abrightyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 16:59
terri21
Forum Member

yay my lewis dvd arrived today no more adverts and all in one episode bliss but no extras bit disappointing