Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Mumsnet

Old 17-02-2013, 08:40
Bungitin
Forum Member

MUMSNET is an organisation that is a form of mix of the 'illuminati', freemasons and a coven.

It is foretold that when their 'mensies' finally synchronise there will be untold powers unleashed on the World and much suffering of men.
Bungitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 17-02-2013, 09:03
WinterFire
Forum Member

Here is a thread where a Mumsnetter was shocked and outraged because an Ocado delivery driver asked to use the toilet, and may have done a poo in it. http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/a1...o-in-my-toilet
WinterFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 09:04
ladymoanalot
Forum Member

Here is a thread where a Mumsnetter was shocked and outraged because an Ocado delivery driver asked to use the toilet, and may have done a poo in it. http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/a1...o-in-my-toilet
I could imagine one of our ever obliging trolls on DS to come up with something like that.
ladymoanalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 09:05
Addisonian
Forum Member

That's hilarious, thanks for the link! The OP of that thread actually reminds me of someone here

Edit - great minds, ladymoanalot!
Addisonian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 09:07
Vodka_Drinka
Forum Member

I was googling something not to long ago and ended up coming across someone from my part of the world who had posted on Mumsnet asking about private schools within easy travelling distance of a particular village. I know the village well and know that its also home to one of the best state secondary schools in our county. It's right on their doorstep, five minutes from their home. If you lived there you couldn't not know about this school and is excellent reputation, but its a state school and their child might, you know, end up sitting next to a kid from a council house in one of their lessons

I think a lot of the women who post there are very superior. Nothing against private schools at all, but why send your child to one when there is an excellent free state school a stones throw from your home? I don't get it?
Vodka_Drinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 09:07
Bungitin
Forum Member

Did he leave the seat up?
Bungitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 09:08
ladymoanalot
Forum Member

I was googling something not to long ago and ended up coming across someone from my part of the world who had posted on Mumsnet asking about private schools within easy travelling distance of a particular village. I know the village well and know that its also home to one of the best state secondary schools in our county. It's right on their doorstep, five minutes from their home. If you lived there you couldn't not know about this school and is excellent reputation, but its a state school and their child might, you know, end up sitting next to a kid from a council house in one of their lessons

I think a lot of the women who post there are very superior. Nothing against private schools at all, but why send your child to one when there is an excellent free state school a stones throw from your home? I don't get it?

It can help on the CV when they enter the world of work.
Old 17-02-2013, 09:10
Vodka_Drinka
Forum Member

Most employers don't take any notice of the school you attended, its comes down to qualifications and experience. This school is very, very good, people move house to get their kids in there.
Old 17-02-2013, 09:12
Hobbit Feet
Forum Member

Maybe the local school is oversubscribed and they didn't get a place

It happens even for those living in the locality
Hobbit Feet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 09:12
JumpTheShark
Forum Member

I very much doubt that. The University might influence things a little but nothing before that.
JumpTheShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 09:13
ladymoanalot
Forum Member

Most employers don't take any notice of the school you attended, its comes down to qualifications and experience. This school is very, very good, people move house to get their kids in there.
Not so sure, I certainly got my first job after school because of the school on my CV. My boss said it was the deal maker. the rest of the candidates must also have got bad GCSE results

Although at 33 I doubt my school matters now.
Old 17-02-2013, 09:28
NatoPMT
Forum Member

Shop at planet organic
Dress their kids in gender neutral clothes
Make a song and dance about breast feeding in public
In the NCT
Are competitive about potty training and speech development
Are in full make up for the school run
Volunteer to be class reps and on the fund raising comittee
The NCT lot are the worst. When one is on their own, they will come and sit with you at play group, so you feel forced into tedious conversation.

then as soon as the rest of their NCT group arrive, they drop you, dont invite you to sit with them and completely blank you when you goodbye

I didnt even want to talk to them in the 1st place
NatoPMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 09:45
Mrs Mackintosh
Inactive Member

Thank you all very much for your valuable insights and for the illuminating links.

I had a quick look at Mumsnet for the very first time last night and couldn't make head nor tail of it, so I really needed some navigation tips.

You've all been very, very helpful. If anyone has anything else to add, I'd be very grateful.

I suspected that it was a lot of middle class women turning on each other, and that would appear to be most people's perception.
Mrs Mackintosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 09:53
sarahcs
Forum Member

It's a lot of fun. Stick at it, you'll soon learn which bits are for you and which aren't. I won't go in the dog section, for example. Too scary for me!
sarahcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 09:57
Mrs Mackintosh
Inactive Member

It's a lot of fun. Stick at it, you'll soon learn which bits are for you and which aren't. I won't go in the dog section, for example. Too scary for me!
Are they competitive over what breed of dog you should have and stuff like that?

I feel a bit embarrassed writing this, but I'm toying with the idea of writing a book (fiction) and think Mumsnet might provide me with ideas for some character traits and plot strands.

Thanks again for everyone's input in this thread.
Old 17-02-2013, 10:16
Elanor
Forum Member

One of my favourite sites when I'm really bored is the Mumsnet's 'Am I being Unreasonable?' section. OH THE LOLS!
Elanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 10:17
DaisyBill
Forum Member

I post on it occassionally. I don't use the DD and DH type of abbreviations (which are in fact used on quite a few forums).
I also don't bother with any parenting threads, or anything about pregnancy or infertility or anything of that nature. I stick to the general discussion/chat/weightloss threads. As it'sa big forum there's quite a lot of different opinions and viewpoints.
I do agree it can be quite cliquey and bitchy but so can a lot of forums. It is possible to be on a forum without participating in that.
DaisyBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 10:19
Vodka_Drinka
Forum Member

Maybe the local school is oversubscribed and they didn't get a place

It happens even for those living in the locality
I doubt that. If that were the case wouldn't she have just said so? And if you really wanted to send your child to a private school, which is the parents prerogative at the end of the day, then why ask a load of people on an Internet forum who probably live miles away from you and probably know little of the area you live in? This woman just wanted everyone to know that she was sending her child to a private school. There's a lot of boasting and trying to out do one another on Mumsnet.

There is another, similar forum called Netmums,. It's much more chilled and laid back and the women who use it seem more "normal" if that's the right word? But Mumsnet look down their noses at them, stuck up they are.
Old 17-02-2013, 10:39
DaisyBill
Forum Member

I doubt that. If that were the case wouldn't she have just said so? And if you really wanted to send your child to a private school, which is the parents prerogative at the end of the day, then why ask a load of people on an Internet forum who probably live miles away from you and probably know little of the area you live in? This woman just wanted everyone to know that she was sending her child to a private school. There's a lot of boasting and trying to out do one another on Mumsnet.

There is another, similar forum called Netmums,. It's much more chilled and laid back and the women who use it seem more "normal" if that's the right word? But Mumsnet look down their noses at them, stuck up harpies that they are.
Don't you mean 'some people on mumsnet'? I post there sometimes and I certainly don't look down on anyone on Netmums, or any other forum. Mumsnet isn't a collective, any more than DS is,or any other forum.It's a group of individuals.
DaisyBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 10:55
Vodka_Drinka
Forum Member

Don't you mean 'some people on mumsnet'? I post there sometimes and I certainly don't look down on anyone on Netmums, or any other forum. Mumsnet isn't a collective, any more than DS is,or any other forum.It's a group of individuals.
Maybe you don't look down on others, but you can't really deny that there isn't an awful lot of snobbery on there. This fixation they have with wearing Boden, have you seen the prices of Boden clothes? Most mums I know could never afford that. And honestly the stuff doesn't look any different to what you could purchase from Next or any other other high street store.
Old 17-02-2013, 11:05
Mrs Mackintosh
Inactive Member

"AM I BEING UNREASONABLE?"

Oh my word, just had a look at this section. Thank you so much for pointing me in this direction. The acronyms are ridiculous and they are a very sweary lot aren't they, much liberal use of the "f" word.
Old 17-02-2013, 11:14
37 Years
Inactive Member

These are EXACTLY the women who I think post on MUMSNET.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04VoxEtP8UE
"There are children in hot countries who don't have the privilege of dinosaur biscuits"

Typical of Guardian / Times reading twunts everywhere
37 Years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 11:16
Lizzy11268
Forum Member

I used to be a member of mumsnet. They tend to be bullies. Horrible lot. Not all of course, but its certainly a site I would be happy to never visit again, after watching one lass, who had DARED to decide to bottle feed rather than breast feed her baby, get a distinct lack of the actual advice she was after, and a lot of "you MUST breastfeed, or die" type posts.

Scary. Go there at your peril
Lizzy11268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 11:28
RAINBOWGIRL22
Forum Member

Breastfeeding versus bottle feeding is always a contentious issue on any pregnancy / baby forum! One of the ones I used to go on actually had to open separate sub-forums so ladies that bottle fed could post and ask questions without getting the ever helpful breast is best advice!!
RAINBOWGIRL22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 11:57
courtney_synn
Forum Member

I went there once to view the Special Needs board and ventured into the other bits. Didn't have the faintest idea what all the DH, DD, etc etc was all about and when told jokingly referred to me daughter as LS (Little sh*t).

I was ostracised forever more.
courtney_synn is offline   Reply With Quote