Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Has anyone visited The Shard?

Old 17-02-2013, 10:36
SallyArmy
Forum Member

I quite fancy a visit, and im interested in the recommendations of anyone whos been. Tickets are £25 so its a bit pricey, but im hoping the views would be worth it. Im sure I read though that no restaurants are yet open. All opinions gratefully received!
SallyArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 17-02-2013, 10:44
Galaxy266
Forum Member

Why pay £25?

For those with a 'head for heights', here's a view from the top of the Shard. Why pay £25 to visit the viewing/observation
floor on top, when you can see it for free on here.

Technology is great.

You will be somewhat interested in this view of London from the top of the “Shard” the latest high structure in
the City, its crystalline façade rearing 1,016 ft over the London skyline as Europe 's tallest building to date.

For your information - floors 2- 28 are offices. 31 – 33 high class restaurants. 34 – 52 is a 5 star hotel complex.
53 -65 is residential accommodation on top of which comes the observation lounges on floors 68 – 72.

You can have much fun swinging the view around (as per the screen instructions) zoom in and out – traverse 360 deg. And see London as never before. Following the long straight rail line approaching – and zooming in on the horizon you will see Greenwich and beyond that on the skyline, Shooters Hill and its water tower.

It is almost impossible to be anywhere in Greater London and NOT see the ‘shard’ now.

Move cursor very slowly.. or left/right/up down arrows to see an all round view of London .Full screen is amazing !

http://www.willpearson.co.uk/virtual...hard-360-dusk/
Galaxy266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 11:01
striing
Forum Member

It is almost impossible to be anywhere in Greater London and NOT see the ‘shard’ now.
Very true. And it's not particularly attractive.
striing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 11:17
SallyArmy
Forum Member

Why pay £25?

For those with a 'head for heights', here's a view from the top of the Shard. Why pay £25 to visit the viewing/observation

Technology is great.

You will be somewhat interested in this view of London from the top of the “Shard” the latest high structure in
the City, its crystalline façade rearing 1,016 ft over the London skyline as Europe 's tallest building to date.

For your information - floors 2- 28 are offices. 31 – 33 high class restaurants. 34 – 52 is a 5 star hotel complex.
53 -65 is residential accommodation on top of which comes the observation lounges on floors 68 – 72.

You can have much fun swinging the view around (as per the screen instructions) zoom in and out – traverse 360 deg. And see London as never before. Following the long straight rail line approaching – and zooming in on the horizon you will see Greenwich and beyond that on the skyline, Shooters Hill and its water tower.

Move cursor very slowly.. or left/right/up down arrows to see an all round view of London .Full screen is amazing !

Thanks for the link! It does have an amazing view for sure!
Old 17-02-2013, 12:02
swingaleg
Forum Member

thanks for that...........terrific !

As for the Shard...........I saw it for the first time a week or so ago when I got out of the tube at Tower Hill and I wasn't impressed at at all..............it looks shabby, like a pre-fab building

I guess it might look better lit up at night when you can't see the shabby cladding
swingaleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 12:17
tothegrand
Forum Member

I have, its ok. I mean is it worth £25, maybe. It depends how much money you have to spare. The views are very good.
tothegrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 12:18
Mystical123
Forum Member

As for the Shard...........I saw it for the first time a week or so ago when I got out of the tube at Tower Hill and I wasn't impressed at at all..............it looks shabby, like a pre-fab building
I saw it up close for the first time on a train coming into London bridge station a couple of weeks ago. It looks unfinished!
Mystical123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 15:51
Southerner
Forum Member

Isn't the London Eye much higher and cheaper?
Southerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 15:52
TardisSteve
Forum Member

i want to go at some point but think £25 is too much
TardisSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 16:01
Abomination
Forum Member

Isn't the London Eye much higher and cheaper?
It's not higher, but offers a similarly impressive view and can be visited for a much cheaper price with its 2 for 1 offers
Abomination is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 16:02
striing
Forum Member

I guess it might look better lit up at night when you can't see the shabby cladding
It doesn't. Still I suppose it's not too bad when compared to Strata at Elephant and Castle - that is beyond words.
Old 17-02-2013, 16:05
Abomination
Forum Member

Nobody forget the other viewing platform you can use now... Up at the O2 costs just under £25 and allows you to climb the outside of the dome to a viewing platform at the top I've heard good things about this from people.
Abomination is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 16:19
striing
Forum Member

Or just go to Tate Modern for free - and see some art as well. What is this fashion for paying to go up a building in London? There's plenty of places to see the city without handing over cash.
Old 17-02-2013, 16:22
burnt toast
Forum Member

It's the tallest building in Western Europe but somehow it doesn't look tall. I can see it from my bedroom window and it doesn't look as tall as many of the other buildings around it. It must be an illusion but it doesn't help to make it amazing.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 16:27
JumpTheShark
Forum Member

For £25? No thanks.
JumpTheShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 16:49
Radiance26
Forum Member

Why pay £25?

Technology is great.

Fantastic link, thanks!
Radiance26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 17:27
JulesF
Forum Member

Fantastic link! Thanks for sharing.
JulesF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 18:34
Ginger Nut
Forum Member

That is a cracking link.
Ginger Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 18:58
SuperTed94
Forum Member

Shabby cladding? You mean the glass?

At least they're cladding Guy's next door, that looked awful.

Personally I think the Shard looks great and really adds to London.
SuperTed94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 09:43
SallyArmy
Forum Member

I have, its ok. I mean is it worth £25, maybe. It depends how much money you have to spare. The views are very good.
Im happy to spend money if its for good value. I think youre giving a recommendation!
Old 18-02-2013, 10:16
rjb101
Forum Member

You could go to vertigo in tower 42. You have to buy a drink though, so not that much cheaper

No turning up in jogging bottoms and that old jacket either.

http://www.vertigo42.co.uk/index.php

Or there's the heron tower... Sushi samba or duck and waffle

http://duckandwaffle.com/about-us/

http://sushisamba.com/location/london/gallery

Bring you credit card for these two..

You can wave at the people in the shard
rjb101 is offline   Reply With Quote