Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

SCART based box with Iplayer?

Old 16-02-2013, 11:51
BMR

Hi guys. Is there such a thing as a SCART based freeview box with Iplayer (other than the very expensive PVR/youview boxes)

No other features needed, just BBC Iplayer and Freeview.
BMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 16-02-2013, 11:55
Sue_Aitch
Forum Member

Smart TVs and Internet Connected Devices (Blu-Ray, Set-top boxes etc.)
There are several different versions of BBC iPlayer which manufacturers use in their devices. Between these versions, due to technical limitations, there can be some variations in features (subtitles, HD etc.). Each device will need to be connected to the internet to use BBC iPlayer.
Select a manufacturer from the table below for information on what core functionality is available for each certified device.
From http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.u...yer/television
Sue_Aitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 12:34
emptybox
Forum Member

That doesn't seem to be a very up to date list?
It doesn't mention my Digital Stream DHR 8203 PVR, and it's very difficult to tell what's Freeview and what's Freesat.
emptybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 13:17
Sue_Aitch
Forum Member

Click on the Contact us link on the bottom right hand of the page to make that point to the BBC.

In the meantime, searching each manufacturer's website should do the trick.
Sue_Aitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 09:12
lbear
Forum Member

Tesco Outlet on eBay often have a few of their "refurbished" Freeview HD boxes model STBHDIS2010 for under 30 including p&p and a one year warranty. (A recent auction) You do have to keep an eye out for them, check once a day as they go very quickly. There were three batches with different suffixes (none, "A" or "HY") but they are all the same box. The important bit of the model number is the "IS", the models where this is an H or V are not the same and cannot get iPlayer.

The latest software version ending 225 or 226 includes BBC iPlayer access. This will work from the SCART lead and you can watch the HD channels although of course you will not see HD without a proper display. I will say even with an SD television, the lack of "digital artifacts" on the HD channels do produce a better picture. All the better if you have a flat screen set with an HDMI input.

If you get one with earlier software, PM me and I can tell you how/where to get the update. These boxes access a "big screen" version of iPlayer which includes subtitles and a HD option.
lbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 17:06
BMR

lbear, how do those boxes connect to the internet? Is it cable or wifi? I actually have a internet cable socket (I forget the technical term) in my room, while the wifi is weakish so the former would be better....
BMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 19:45
kasg
Forum Member

lbear, how do those boxes connect to the internet? Is it cable or wifi?
Cable only, so you'll be fine.
kasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 19:48
kasg
Forum Member

There were three batches with different suffixes (none, "A" or "HY") but they are all the same box. The important bit of the model number is the "IS", the models where this is an H or V are not the same and cannot get iPlayer.
I have yet to hear of an STBHDIS2010HY being successfully updated with the iPlayer software, so these are best avoided.
kasg is offline   Reply With Quote