Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

What were your opinions on Sonia and Martin (EE)

Old 30-12-2012, 23:14
Identity
Forum Member

I didn't mind them, at times even enjoyed them. Especially with the stalker.

But in the end, I hated how easily everyone pointed their finger at Sonia for having killed Pauline when she didn't, the feuding got repetitive, the lies to get Rebecca back were hideous and so was the lesbian part. They should have either done that properly, by making Sonia stay with Naomi, or at least be curious about other women when they spilt, made her discover she ws bisexual for all I care, as it would have helped to give her more possible storylines etc. The reaction of Jim and Dot would have been priceless, especially if Sonia would decide to date a guy after they finally accepted the thought of her and a girl.

I did not like Martin in his bully/crook period, but Sonia's desricption of how it felt like, seeing him, knowing he killed Jamie was marvellous!! And the parts where Sonia's need to explore what life had to offer, get a good job, make something of herself and Martins desire to keep the family stall right outside their fornt door clashed and led to misunderstandings, were good too. It seems to me any couple where one if far more educated than the other will come across such a thing once or twice at least.

When Sonia got back, I did not like her anymore.

I would not mind a return, but please, no more recasts, I have had enough of those for the next decade!! They can use another actress for the kid, that would not be too odd, I would not even know which one she was in a line up, to be fair, but that is normal with soapkids, unless you see a lot of them, like old Ben, or Tiffany.

For this return, they would need to be a family. I would hate for them to come back divorced or something, they are not MAx and Tanya or Ian and Jane. After the affair, Sonia may give Martin a second chance. I do not like that idea, would not advice many people to do it, but a lot has happened, she hasn't been a saint either (did she not cheat when she went lesbian?) and if it true love, well, go for it. But that should have happened ages before they set foot on the Square again. I don't want to see that part, I want them back in the shape of a union, like when they left.

Sonia may decide to move in with Dot, what with her being a nurse and Dot may be in need of some help. MArtin and Rebecca would come with her, Martin can get a local job, or even work the fruit and veg stall again and make friends with some neighbors. Martin would need friends, as he does not have much family left, where Sonia would fit right in with all BRannings and Jacksons. Maritns new best pal could even be from that family, that does not matter.

How old would he be now anyway?
Identity is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:42
IzzyInTheHouse
Forum Member

How old would he be now anyway?
Martin would be 27 I believe.
IzzyInTheHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:49
Melisandre
Forum Member

I never bought into them as a couple. They just weren't suited to each other at all. I didn't like either as individual characters, particularly Martin, I couldn't stand him.
Melisandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:34
B*witched
Forum Member

Martin was an okay character. I liked Sonia at first, but the last year I had to find other things to do when she was on because I just couldn't tolerate her any more.
B*witched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 19:22
Selena
Forum Member

I never really brought into them as a couple and I never understood how you could fall in love with someone who killed the person that you loved.
Selena is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 19:25
mo mouse
Forum Member

Loathed both of them
mo mouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 19:27
maurice45
Forum Member

My opinion is that it was all going well until the Naomi fiasco. They got a decent exit but things obviously didn't work for them though.
maurice45 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 19:29
Killjoy2013
Inactive Member

isnt the actress that played sonia now into diets > doing a mag interview for cash about being slim > eating too many pies > doing a mag inverview for cash about being ok as big girl > back to step 1 with abit of big brother & various pannal shows chucked in for good fun.

i never liked sonia for me,martin was OK.the problem with sonia was she was always out-acted by a trumpet!
Killjoy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 19:33
Guido9
Forum Member

I think characters like Martin and Sonia was one of the reasons why 2006 was in the EastEnders Hall Of Fame as being one of the worst years of the show ever - that was before 2011 and 2012 happened of course! Two tiresome, argumentative and very poor characters from a really poor time in the show IMO!
Guido9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 19:36
maurice45
Forum Member

isnt the actress that played sonia now into diets > doing a mag interview for cash about being slim > eating too many pies > doing a mag inverview for cash about being ok as big girl > back to step 1 with abit of big brother & various pannal shows chucked in for good fun.

i never liked sonia for me,martin was OK.the problem with sonia was she was always out-acted by a trumpet!

Natalie Cassidy is doing this now
Old 17-02-2013, 21:08
benbenalen
Forum Member

They had her previosuly say she had married problems just so she'd jump in Phil Mitchells bed, it was very bizarre.
as if Phil would go for her
benbenalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 21:28
danyell
Forum Member

as if Phil would go for her
As if sonia would fancy him!
danyell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 21:32
LiamBerryTea ~
Forum Member

The way they'd been written was great most of the tie because they kept to their history and built on it.. Apart from the lesbian stuff, how ridiculous
Great ending but they split up off screen! Then Sonya tries to seduce Phil and fails.. What the heck?
LiamBerryTea ~ is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 21:34
maurice45
Forum Member

The way they'd been written was great most of the tie because they kept to their history and built on it.. Apart from the lesbian stuff, how ridiculous
Great ending but they split up off screen! Then Sonya tries to seduce Phil and fails.. What the heck?
That sums it up pretty well.

If I never saw Sonia or Martin again, I wouldn't care to be honest.
Old 17-02-2013, 21:46
klendathu
Forum Member

My ex did an insurance quote for James Alexandrou's first car back in 2002 . A Golf .
He didn't buy it from her
klendathu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 01:37
johnloony
Forum Member

I liked them because James Alexandrou is the most gorgeous actor ever to be in EE.
johnloony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 01:53
SecretLifeoBees
Forum Member

Given how Sonia wept and wailed constantly over Jamie, reminding us at every opportunity how he was the one and only love of her life, not to mention the graveside visits, I could never understand how she could even be on speaking terms with Martin, let alone marry him!
SecretLifeoBees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 04:03
Mindbear
Forum Member

I'm not an eastenders geek but I really loved Martin and Sonia. As others have said, Jamie and Sonia made zero sense together, but life can be like that can't it? Zoe was beautiful and Jamie was continually tempted by her, but he did love Sonia for who she was, and he was pretty damaged and needed her sensible ways. Martin was a right little sod for years, and again he fell for her as a person. For me it did make sense and I really liked their ups and downs. Pauline became unbearable and the arguing was, but it didn't ring too far from reality. I mean, Pauline was insanely attached to the idea that her family had to be under her roof, and treated Martin like a child. Sonia wanted a grown up life. Of course they argued.

I'd like them back very much!
Mindbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 12:12
nats18
Forum Member

I liked Martin when he was younger he was a boring drip by the time he left though. Sonia I never liked and the character dressed like my gran, my gran even owned a cardigan that was identical to one Sonia wore all the time.
nats18 is offline   Reply With Quote