Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

My Mad, Fat Diary

Old 13-02-2013, 19:08
Moloko
Forum Member

But am I the only one who hopes a second series wont be commissioned? Better to shine bright and quickly rather than dragging out an inferior second series (like Homeland, sniff).
No, we lost My So-Called Life prematurely before, please not this one.
Moloko is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 13-02-2013, 19:37
MadManWithABox
Forum Member

One of the reasons I've never watched is that apart from Rae the rest of the cast look like they are from Skins, that's not realistic at all, that you're either ugly or beautiful and nothing in between when of course that's where the majority of us are.
I think actually this case has a quite realistic look. There are no model-material actors in it - Finn and Archie are alright, Chloe looks like a lot of teenage girls (and that's necessary because it has a bit of an influence over her relationship with Rae), the other girl I forget the name of is average, Chop is below average (though I expect some people find him attractive because there is perhaps something about him....). There's a good variety - no HIDEOUS cast members, no unrealistically good looking ones either. Which is good when the show is partly about the physical aspects of people.
MadManWithABox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 19:39
gilesb
Forum Member

I think actually this case has a quite realistic look. There are no model-material actors in it - Finn and Archie are alright, Chloe looks like a lot of teenage girls (and that's necessary because it has a bit of an influence over her relationship with Rae), the other girl I forget the name of is average, Chop is below average (though I expect some people find him attractive because there is perhaps something about him....). There's a good variety - no HIDEOUS cast members, no unrealistically good looking ones either. Which is good when the show is partly about the physical aspects of people.
I agree, i think they all look like "normal" teenagers.
gilesb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 20:42
Phyllis Stein
Forum Member

No, we lost My So-Called Life prematurely before, please not this one.
Just re-watched the entire series at the ripe old age of 38 and reignited my Jordan Catalano mega crush

Utterly fantastic show and still head and shoulders above any other 'teen' show.
Phyllis Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 21:17
yorkiegal
Forum Member

In the book, Rae only spent a few nights in a psychiatric ward didn't she? Rather than the months she appeared to be there in the tv show.
yorkiegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 21:48
lulu25
Forum Member

TBH from the trailers I didnt think I would enjoy this- only tuned in for the music( love this era and was only a couple of years younger than Rae in 1996) and thought it was about time a new series was set in the 90's, however, I was proved wrong and have been really enjoying it!

I may be the only one but have some sort of weird crush on Kester

Hope they release a soundtrack of the music used in the series.
lulu25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 21:50
Kaisha
Forum Member

Just one thing. I have lived just outside Stamford all my life. Did the Rae actress misread Lincolnshire on the script as Lancashire? I guess most people in this country wouldn't know what a Stamford/Peterborough accent sounds like but, it doesn't sound like her.

Maybe the real Rae moved from somewhere else before the era the series is set in?
It's because the actress playing Rae is Scottish. People from Stamford (like me) sound nothing like that at all. It's also so weird seeing it look nothing like itself, but that's just how TV is.

Also, regarding the ending of the book, I don't really want it to end the way it does in the book... If anyone's that interested, the way the book ends...

Spoiler
Kaisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 00:22
chasing_stars
Forum Member

I really want this to get a second series. It really makes me laugh. Loved the bit in this weeks episode when Rae asked Chloe who she preferred in the Smiths - morrissey or the lead singer and Chloe went "it depends what mood I'm in". Too funny.
chasing_stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 17:27
misslibertine
Forum Member

Loved the bit in this weeks episode when Rae asked Chloe who she preferred in the Smiths - morrissey or the lead singer and Chloe went "it depends what mood I'm in". Too funny.
It struck me as the sort of thing I would've done at that age
misslibertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 12:50
miss buzzybee
Forum Member

For those interested, I' m a friend of Rae and we worked together in I.L.R (local radio). Rae is now happily married, living in Tasmania and has a wonderful little boy called Harry.
She is also on Facebook.
Ah really cool, I know she is on Twitter.

The end part of the last episode made me cry a bit you could seem things were going to crumble. Makes me nostalgic for the 90's though!
miss buzzybee is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 15:32
Jillstar
Forum Member

I'm loving this series! So glad it has been renewed for a second series. Part of me is thinking that although they look to care a lot for each other, Rae and Finn wouldn't (and probably shouldn't) be together as a romantic couple. For the most part I think I would like them to be close friends and I think for there to be a second series they should stay friends as often in drama it seems to be difficult to keep a couple together without there being difficulties or it being boring to watch. Then again "my mad fat diary" has been a refreshingly 'real' drama so it might work.
I just hope Kester will be in series 2 too as well as Tix as they too have been extremely interesting characters to watch and the whole mental health/psychological issues is one of the things that helps set it apart.
About that, have they said what specific issues Rae has/had or is this something that'll come out in the series finale?
Jillstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 22:44
heart of glass
Forum Member

Gonna be watching this on E4+1 soon, pretty gutted it's the last episode of the series because I've really enjoyed it. Does anyone know for sure if it's getting a second series?
heart of glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 22:45
miss buzzybee
Forum Member

Yes its been recomissioned
Old 18-02-2013, 22:45
SarahJam
Forum Member

Sharon Rooney who plays Rae said they found out today or recently that they are getting a second series.
SarahJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 23:00
heart of glass
Forum Member

Yes its been recomissioned
Sharon Rooney who plays Rae said they found out today or recently that they are getting a second series.
That's great news, thanks.
Old 18-02-2013, 23:03
indie.star
Forum Member

Loved it that they played Champagne Supernova!
indie.star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 23:06
Kazz_x
Forum Member

Had me in tears. I have been watching the show as I have been in a very similar dilemma since I was 13. 17 was my most serious attempt at suicide. And this show has really hit home with a lot of my emotions. I am someone on high anti depressants and I know how it feels to just want to throw it away and regain some control because sometimes the meds feel like they are taking over. Basically I felt the show was rather realistic, I have the stunning friend. I was on the opposite end of Rae's eating, I was anorexic, but i understood the food issues, the diary. To me, the show was amazing, and helped me with a few issues I'm still struggling with. I have already called my mum to apologize for all I put her through and the same to my best friend. I am well pleased there is a 2nd series. I can't wait to see how things develop.
Kazz_x is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 23:13
miss buzzybee
Forum Member

The last two episodes have made me cry! Glad its getting a second series, funny how the narrator said it was coming back at the end over the credits, loads of people must have asked !!
Old 18-02-2013, 23:31
Muze
Forum Member

Was it genuinely based on real life events? Or was the book just fiction?

It's meant to be true then maybe I should I send a copy to local mental health services... might give them a few tips on how to treat young people

Love to hate it now, it always makes be so angry as when I was going through similar issues at that age, it would have been a dream to get anywhere near the support 'spoilt 'Rae' had (and I wasn't cruel to animals either )
Muze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 23:41
heart of glass
Forum Member

I wonder if Kester will turn out to be Rae's dad?
Old 18-02-2013, 23:42
Phyllis Stein
Forum Member

I wonder if Kester will turn out to be Rae's dad?
I just thought that. You watching on +1 too?
Phyllis Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 23:42
miss buzzybee
Forum Member

Was it genuinely based on real life events? Or was the book just fiction?

It's meant to be true then maybe I should I send a copy to local mental health services... might give them a few tips on how to treat young people

Love to hate it now, it always makes be so angry as when I was going through similar issues at that age, it would have been a dream to get anywhere near the support 'spoilt 'Rae' had (and I wasn't cruel to animals either )
Based on real life
Old 18-02-2013, 23:49
heart of glass
Forum Member

I just thought that. You watching on +1 too?
I am. He looked pretty upset when she was talking about not knowing her father. It would be an interesting twist.
Old 19-02-2013, 00:04
gilesb
Forum Member

I think the last episode was the best episode because it didn't focus on Rae trying to fit in with the group
Old 19-02-2013, 00:05
gilesb
Forum Member

I am. He looked pretty upset when she was talking about not knowing her father. It would be an interesting twist.
It would be an awful twist!

Like the worst ever!