Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

The John James Appreciation Thread (Part 13)

Closed Thread
Old 21-02-2013, 08:33
augusta92
Forum Member

ive just finished my first reading of GONE GIRL.....Its a brilliant brilliant thriller, so full of twists and turns. Its by Gillian Flinn. Its one of those stories that you cant really describe cos if you do you will give away the story.....

but its written 2 handedly between a husband and wife...Amy and Nick. its set in middle america, Amy disappears on the morning of their 5 th wedding anniversary and the book is the story of the search for her.

Amy is a psychology major/writer and her husband is a normal run of the mill average, good looking guy..who was a writer and who now runs a bar with his twin sister.

I dont think it will destroy the story, if I say Amy has a very keen sense of justice, cant bear to be wronged, and she has a very manipulative ways of getting back at anyone who upsets her. So the book is a fascinating study of how and why people do things....And its a very clever detective story/thriller.

Ive read it once, and know the story, now im going to go back to look at some of the details.!!
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 21-02-2013, 08:34
augusta92
Forum Member

morning everyone.....

its cold here as well..........today im meant to be tackling the kitchen cupboards. I will tell you if I actually get there, as opposed to spending all day procrastinatng !!!
Old 21-02-2013, 12:50
Lena J
Forum Member

Hello to all a very mean wind blowing here today, bbrrr! Temperature's have taken a plummet again haven't they?

I have an appointment with the ironing bag again today and the oven is crying out for attention. I must find the instruction book as there is a cleaning setting that I've never used (well it is quite new and I've given it a wipe out now and again). I think it's some kind of steam thing as I vaguely recall something about putting water in the bottom.......off to find the manual....easier said than done lol.

Hope you're all ok.

Waiting with baited breath as to how the dog walk went augusta.
Your book sounds interesting I may look for that next time I'm on amazon.
Old 21-02-2013, 13:49
augusta92
Forum Member

oh the dog walking is going fine......he has a new lead, a bit like a choke chain. Trouble is....as he isnt my dog ..Ive never really spent any time training him on a lead.....He comes ok in the park and is friendly and sociable with other animals. But walking him on a lead is really hard work. Im usually in a rush, and I usually have 2 dogs to do by myself, so I tend to find it hard work.

When im relaxed and have plenty of time its fine. When im the only one in the house, and busy......and have hardly any time to exercise him, its not easy..

But hopefully it looks as if its going to be fairly straightforward....to train him ...as long as enough people are around....
Old 22-02-2013, 00:34
Lindy_Loue
Forum Member

Hi all

Did anyone see the Liverpool match? Thought we did really well on the whole,,a real gutsy performance with the crowd in full voice as well......sad it wasn't quite enough

On the positive side, at least we can concentrate on the league now
Old 22-02-2013, 07:42
nyannie
Forum Member

Morning all

It is - 1 here. No snow though thank goodness.

A friend coming down for the weekend and out to lunch tomorrow with some lovely friends - if there is no snow! I still have bathrooms to do and need to wash my hair (which looks awful!). Hairdresser for me next week!

Spent two hours looking at curtain fabric yesterday. Could not believe the prices - 100 a meter for some of them. Spoke to another customer and she suggested one of the discount fabric places so will investigate - I need 15 meters for my patio doors!

Well folks it is that time of year - thinking about our spring/summer get together. Although afternoon tea seems tempting it can be expensive and it would also mean getting home late.

Suggestion has been another lunch - perhaps another venue than the place we usually meet which would cost about 20 - 30.

Suggestions have been to meet in May. If you are interested, please PM me by the 6 March. Please also let me know if you have other suggestions for restaurants, cafes etc - or if you would like to go back to our usual meeting place. Also, please let me know if a weekday or Saturday is best for you.

Must get on - busy weekend ahead. Look forward to your PMs.
Old 22-02-2013, 07:58
augusta92
Forum Member

Morning all

It is - 1 here. No snow though thank goodness.

A friend coming down for the weekend and out to lunch tomorrow with some lovely friends - if there is no snow! I still have bathrooms to do and need to wash my hair (which looks awful!). Hairdresser for me next week!

Spent two hours looking at curtain fabric yesterday. Could not believe the prices - 100 a meter for some of them. Spoke to another customer and she suggested one of the discount fabric places so will investigate - I need 15 meters for my patio doors!

Well folks it is that time of year - thinking about our spring/summer get together. Although afternoon tea seems tempting it can be expensive and it would also mean getting home late.

Suggestion has been another lunch - perhaps another venue than the place we usually meet which would cost about 20 - 30.

Suggestions have been to meet in May. If you are interested, please PM me by the 6 March. Please also let me know if you have other suggestions for restaurants, cafes etc - or if you would like to go back to our usual meeting place. Also, please let me know if a weekday or Saturday is best for you.

Must get on - busy weekend ahead. Look forward to your PMs.

I would like to come....

Fabric is so expensive to buy at times. I spose its more to do with the supermarkets sellling things so cheaply, Its easy to forget how expensive material can be.

places like Ikea might be more reasonable for furnishing fabrics or Dunelm, Especially if you need a long drop. But I like the idea of buying online, although you cant really feel the weight or texture online, or even really see the colours.

I need to get some fabric for my course, so will be looking today, when I go and meet my daughter for lunch.

where has this last week gone? I was tired and needed a rest, and although its been lovely to catch up and meet friends, I havent done all that much, and its already friday.

I wonder what John is getting up to at the height of his summer? definitely not shivering every time, he sets foot outside
Old 22-02-2013, 10:11
Lindy_Loue
Forum Member

Count me in too, please, nyannie. I will PM you with ideas / dates over the weekend

Good luck with the curtain fabric, nyannie and Augusta I love fabric, but would never get round to making things as you do......
Old 22-02-2013, 11:53
georgyporgy
Forum Member

Me toooooooo Nyannie
will pm you

good morning jjat

bl**dy half term, i've had no peace
i've got a house full
barely a min to spare
will be around more next week

hope all are well

good luck with the curtains nyannie
i agree stupid prices

Augusta how are all your classes going, the sewing and
jewellery making

and Lindy
we nearly did it last night
but what a shame , Liverpool out
georgyporgy is online now Follow this poster on Twitter  
Old 22-02-2013, 11:58
georgyporgy
Forum Member

Hello to all a very mean wind blowing here today, bbrrr! Temperature's have taken a plummet again haven't they?

I have an appointment with the ironing bag again today and the oven is crying out for attention. I must find the instruction book as there is a cleaning setting that I've never used (well it is quite new and I've given it a wipe out now and again). I think it's some kind of steam thing as I vaguely recall something about putting water in the bottom.......off to find the manual....easier said than done lol.

Hope you're all ok.

Waiting with baited breath as to how the dog walk went augusta.
Your book sounds interesting I may look for that next time I'm on amazon.
its very cold here lena
snow flurries this morn

self cleaning ovens
are the best, mine has a setting
that goes super hot and burns all the dirt of
so you are just left with, sort of ash on the bottom
hope you find the manual
Old 22-02-2013, 11:59
Lindy_Loue
Forum Member

Me toooooooo Nyannie
will pm you

good morning jjat

bl**dy half term, i've had no peace
i've got a house full
barely a min to spare
will be around more next week

hope all are well

good luck with the curtains nyannie
i agree stupid prices

Augusta how are all your classes going, the sewing and
jewellery making

and Lindy
we nearly did it last night
but what a shame , Liverpool out
Hi georgy

Don't overdo it
More people can mean more helpers

At least in theory....

I loved the spirit we showed last night

Ah well, at least we can now concentrate on the League!!
Old 22-02-2013, 12:01
Lindy_Loue
Forum Member

its very cold here lena
snow flurries this morn

self cleaning ovens
are the best, mine has a setting
that goes super hot and burns all the dirt of
so you are just left with, sort of ash on the bottom
hope you find the manual
That's the principle of the Aga too

I love it

Always warm...mmmm

And you never have to clean it
Old 22-02-2013, 12:03
georgyporgy
Forum Member

Evening all, hoping you are all well xx
hello mugs

just to let you know
i have seen the flirting
you and deefs have been up to

but i agree very lovely smile
Old 22-02-2013, 12:07
georgyporgy
Forum Member

Hi georgy

Don't overdo it
More people can mean more helpers

At least in theory....

I loved the spirit we showed last night

Ah well, at least we can now concentrate on the League!!
Hello Lindy
i don,t think i've left the kitchen
and its lunch to prepare soon

the match last night was great
the liverpool crowd just amazing
and i really felt we could do it
but never mind

wow....... now its snowing hard, great big flakes are falling
Old 22-02-2013, 12:09
georgyporgy
Forum Member

That's the principle of the Aga too

I love it

Always warm...mmmm

And you never have to clean it
i've never had a Aga
but they do look nice

but a real fan of anything, that can self clean
Old 22-02-2013, 12:10
Lindy_Loue
Forum Member

Hello Lindy
i don,t think i've left the kitchen
and its lunch to prepare soon

the match last night was great
the liverpool crowd just amazing
and i really felt we could do it
but never mind

wow....... now its snowing hard, great big flakes are falling
Hi georgy
And the kitchen is your favourite place
As you've told us often!

I know...
The crowd were amazing weren't they
Just like the old days
Gave me hope
That we can do well
Soon

Wow....snow
When will it stop....
Seems to be going on and on......x
Old 22-02-2013, 12:15
Lindy_Loue
Forum Member

i've never had a Aga
but they do look nice

And as long as you don't have guests

You can drape your laundry over it

Dries like a dream!
Old 22-02-2013, 12:18
georgyporgy
Forum Member

Hi georgy
And the kitchen is your favourite place
As you've told us often!

I know...
The crowd were amazing weren't they
Just like the old days
Gave me hope
That we can do well
Soon

Wow....snow
When will it stop....
Seems to be going on and on......x
Thats right Lindy
my favourite place to hate

yes.... we are looking stronger

as for the snow
i don,t know
but it is looking pretty
and its the best kind
its not settling

better get going
kitchen duty calling
Old 22-02-2013, 12:22
Lindy_Loue
Forum Member

Thats right Lindy
my favourite place to hate

yes.... we are looking stronger

as for the snow
i don,t know
but it is looking pretty
and its the best kind
its not settling

better get going
kitchen duty calling
Good to talk

Hope to see you soon xx
Old 23-02-2013, 08:36
augusta92
Forum Member

i've never had a Aga
but they do look nice

oh me too.....I love things that can clean themselves...

unfortunately they dont seem to be that obvious

so the snow is starting to fall again. My jewellery making is coming on fine, im at the stage though where i really need to learn how to do it gradually. Ive got loads of ideas of what id like to make, but....

actually its lovely to be enthused by something ......but i keep reminding myself I cant go out and buy all the tools i need and the equipement I need for home. yet......

Im wanting to make moulds and melt silver at the moment, but..........im sure if i ask my instructor he will show me an easy way to do it......

Shame about the football, it seems to be quite a sporting weekend coming up.....
Old 23-02-2013, 11:05
ellemay
Forum Member

Morning JJat hope everyone is well.

Georgy and all you Liverpool supporters i was willing them on to get another goal. x
Old 23-02-2013, 15:02
Giddykipper
Forum Member

oh me too.....I love things that can clean themselves...

unfortunately they dont seem to be that obvious

so the snow is starting to fall again. My jewellery making is coming on fine, im at the stage though where i really need to learn how to do it gradually. Ive got loads of ideas of what id like to make, but....

actually its lovely to be enthused by something ......but i keep reminding myself I cant go out and buy all the tools i need and the equipement I need for home. yet......

Im wanting to make moulds and melt silver at the moment, but..........im sure if i ask my instructor he will show me an easy way to do it......

Shame about the football, it seems to be quite a sporting weekend coming up.....
Clean themselves? - think CATS - and you don't have to take them for walks!

I'm so impressed with all the creative activity that goes on here - almost shames me in to doing something artistic and creative myself. Note I said 'almost'

Now I'm settling in for some strenuous sport watching this weekend while you lot get on with real activity.
C'mon Wales!
C'mon Swansea!
Phew - that's quite worn me out...
Old 23-02-2013, 17:30
Lindy_Loue
Forum Member

I'm so impressed with all the creative activity that goes on here - almost shames me in to doing something artistic and creative myself. Note I said 'almost'

Now I'm settling in for some strenuous sport watching this weekend while you lot get on with real activity.
C'mon Wales!
C'mon Swansea!

Love it Giddy, I know the feeling only too well!

I'll be spending as much time as I can this weekend sitting by the fire, cat by my side, urging others on in the sport

Not sure yet who to support in the football.....I don't know much about either team.....perhaps I should go for Bradford as the underdogs?
Old 24-02-2013, 13:57
nyannie
Forum Member

C'mon Wales!
C'mon Swansea!
I'm worn out - but not from cheering Wales on - I've had a friend for the weekend- out to lunch with friends, watching England beat France and now CLEARING UP! I am exhausted! Must have a bath before the Ireland Scotland game.

See you all tomorrow - and let me know if you want to meet for lunch in May - see post a bit further up!
Old 24-02-2013, 15:04
augusta92
Forum Member

Love it Giddy, I know the feeling only too well!

I'll be spending as much time as I can this weekend sitting by the fire, cat by my side, urging others on in the sport

Not sure yet who to support in the football.....I don't know much about either team.....perhaps I should go for Bradford as the underdogs?

that sounds lovely...we ve walked the dogs, ive replenished the bird feeders and now to settle down to watch the rugby by a warm fire.

it is so so cold outside, we even had the old dog looking at me as if too say, its too cold when are we going back.....

Closed Thread