Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Celebs whose career is over - How many go back to the real world?

Old 21-02-2013, 11:20
Itsallaboutyou
Inactive Member

Martine McCutcheon was recently declared bankrupt. I was wondering as she will probably sell her story to a magazine, would she return to the real world and get a normal job?

Have any other ex-celebs ever gone back to the real world and got normal jobs?
Itsallaboutyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 21-02-2013, 13:27
striing
Forum Member

She was declared bankrupt - but her husband wasn't so I don't believe for a minute her lifestyle will be affected.

On your other point, I have just read that Glenn Medeiros is now a school Principal. (You'll have to be of a certain age for that to mean anything. )

And The Reunion on ITV2 showed that a singer from the Honeyz has become a midwife. (Having said that I'd never heard of tehe Honeyz so maybe she didn't have much of a career to change.)
striing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 14:19
RealityRocks
Forum Member

I think it's really nice when ex pop or soapstars get a 'proper' job, especially one they've had to train hard for.

Adele Silva got a job in a clothes shop whilst trying to break America and though she did end up going back to Emmerdale for a bit it does show she's not afraid of some 'real' graft.
RealityRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 14:20
***KEL***
Forum Member

I read that Martine McCutcheon said "i think of Ralph Lauren sheets as a neseccity not a luxury" so she will struggle going back to the real world
***KEL*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 15:25
chitarivera
Forum Member

One of the actors who was a main character in Emmerdale for several years [he played Jackie Merrick] was featured in a nostalgic look back at Emmerdale and he was working in B&Q as a kitchen salesman.
chitarivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 16:01
quirkyquirk
Forum Member

Joan Collins was signing on just before her career was resurrected in Dynasty.That would've been a sight,her in the dole cue looking glamorous.
quirkyquirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 16:04
Flashy Vic
Forum Member

One of the actors who was a main character in Emmerdale for several years [he played Jackie Merrick] was featured in a nostalgic look back at Emmerdale and he was working in B&Q as a kitchen salesman.
And of course as Alan Partridge's stalking 'mentalist' in one of the greatest comedy episodes of all time.
Flashy Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 16:19
Verence
Forum Member

There was a very sniffy story in the papers a couple of years back when someone saw actor Jeremy Edwards supposedly working as a builder

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...tra-money.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...pay-bills.html
Verence is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 16:23
00tommo
Forum Member

And of course as Alan Partridge's stalking 'mentalist' in one of the greatest comedy episodes of all time.
Good old Jed!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l76u8Z5Ic2U
00tommo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 16:23
calibra101
Forum Member

The guy from the group Bucks Fizz who ended up working in burger van.
calibra101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 16:25
Porcupine
Forum Member

Didn't Jeffrey from Rainbow (the one that wasn't a puppet) get a job in a supermarket ? I vaguely recall reading about it.
Porcupine is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 16:34
Verence
Forum Member

Didn't Jeffrey from Rainbow (the one that wasn't a puppet) get a job in a supermarket ? I vaguely recall reading about it.
Yep, he worked for Sainsburys for a while and then became a cab-driver
Verence is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 16:40
Itsallaboutyou
Inactive Member

Can not imagine Joan Collins signing on. I heard somewhere she made her own clothes! Imagine Martine living off 71 JSA? That would wake her up.

Fair play to these celebs. Shows fame is a fleeting thing.t
Old 21-02-2013, 16:46
tinkerbell987
Forum Member

didn't one of the actresses in Hollyoaks leave to be come a midwife and i'm sure the brother a sister in Emmerdale years ago left and the brother became a police i think.
tinkerbell987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 17:15
misslibertine
Forum Member

didn't one of the actresses in Hollyoaks leave to be come a midwife and i'm sure the brother a sister in Emmerdale years ago left and the brother became a police i think.
She did - http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...midwife-342122
misslibertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 17:47
80sfan
Forum Member

I read that Martine McCutcheon said "i think of Ralph Lauren sheets as a neseccity not a luxury" so she will struggle going back to the real world
With comments like that, hopefully no-one will offer her anything for her tales of woe and she'll end up looking for sale bedding bargains in Primark
80sfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 18:06
unclekevo
Forum Member

One of The Honeyz trained as a Midwife, think it was the one who replaced Heavenli and then was replaced by Heavenli?
unclekevo is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 18:08
Rabbit Heart
Inactive Member

I think it's ridiculous how the gutter press sneer at a celeb who gets a "real" job like building or shop work when they attack people who claim benefits of any kind of a daily basis. People just can't win.

I really admire former actors/singers/etc who aren't afraid of the real world and aren't afraid to return to it. Happens far too rarely now.
Rabbit Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 18:14
mary patricia
Forum Member

I saw a documentary a few years ago where East 17 were attempting a reunion. All of them apart from the guy who wrote songs and became a millionaire were doing normal jobs like being a plumber.
mary patricia is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 18:19
Itsallaboutyou
Inactive Member

I think it's ridiculous how the gutter press sneer at a celeb who gets a "real" job like building or shop work when they attack people who claim benefits of any kind of a daily basis. People just can't win.

I really admire former actors/singers/etc who aren't afraid of the real world and aren't afraid to return to it. Happens far too rarely now.
Couldnt agree more. Sadly these stupid shows like Celeb Big Brother tempt people too much to come back.

Its the same with actors and actresses going into Casualty/Waterloo Rd. Why not accept you are over and go into the real world. If its time on benefits so be it.
Old 21-02-2013, 18:19
chitarivera
Forum Member

I agree - I mean, what is the ex celeb supposed to do? Starve?

chitarivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 18:28
mary patricia
Forum Member

I agree - I mean, what is the ex celeb supposed to do? Starve?

Any excuse to write cheap articles slagging them off. If they drag out their career by doing any reality show going they are a washed up waste of space. If they get a real job, they are a washed up waste of space. Can't win really!
mary patricia is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 18:40
striing
Forum Member

There was a very sniffy story in the papers a couple of years back when someone saw actor Jeremy Edwards supposedly working as a builder
Yup and even the readers of the Mail said good for him. Journos missed the tone of the room on that one.
striing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 18:44
Rabbit Heart
Inactive Member

Any excuse to write cheap articles slagging them off. If they drag out their career by doing any reality show going they are a washed up waste of space. If they get a real job, they are a washed up waste of space. Can't win really!
It does make you wonder why more people can't see the press for the one giant trolling operation it is. Bewildering that they don't.
Rabbit Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 18:49
Blondie X
Forum Member

I saw a documentary a few years ago where East 17 were attempting a reunion. All of them apart from the guy who wrote songs and became a millionaire were doing normal jobs like being a plumber.
The fair haired (now bald) one has ended up making more money out of being a builder than he ever did out of music.
Blondie X is offline   Reply With Quote