Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Flying to NYC on Monday. F**king petrified.

Old 22-02-2013, 02:35
George_Hall
Forum Member

Ok so I'm flying to New York JFK on Monday from London Heathrow and I cant take my mind of it. I don't know what to do I'm just so anxious. I havent flown since I was 12...

It's a hulking boeing 747 to make things worse...

I guess what scares me most is take off, the motion, the angle when the plane banks... ugh

I've never had a panic attack before but this anticipation is killing me. I thought I'd be okay but this is getting worse and worse. Theres no going back.. I need help
George_Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 22-02-2013, 02:38
Inspiration
Forum Member

Just close your eyes during take off and it will soon be done with. It's not that pleasant for me either and i've been flying for 10 years. But more of often than not within 20 seconds of take off I open my eyes look out the window and think 'Oh wow, what an amazing view' and I feel fine from then on.
Inspiration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 02:39
rick182
Inactive Member

Poor you..........
rick182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 02:41
vosne
Forum Member

If it crashes you'll be dead. No panic attacks in the afterlife I'm reliably informed. Sorted
vosne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 02:42
fender101
Forum Member

The take offs and landings are the best bit. The rest is pretty boring, unless there's turbulence or a hijacking or something.
fender101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 02:43
flower 2
Forum Member

Why?, What is more scary, stuck where you are, to scared to move, or flying off to an adventure of some kind?
flower 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 02:44
vosne
Forum Member

The take offs and landings are the best bit. The rest is pretty boring, unless there's turbulence or a hijacking or something.
I concur. Hijacks are laugh central.

OP, if you get a hijack they might throw you out. You'll get to try skydiving without even paying for it. Lucky sod
Old 22-02-2013, 02:45
HaloJoe
Forum Member

Why?, What is more scary, stuck where you are, to scared to move, or flying off to an adventure of some kind?
Lol
HaloJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 02:50
Billy_Value
Forum Member

your names not jack is it?
Billy_Value is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 02:52
HaloJoe
Forum Member

OMG yeah right!

I'll take you're place if you like?????
HaloJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 02:52
fender101
Forum Member

I concur. Hijacks are laugh central.

OP, if you get a hijack they might throw you out. You'll get to try skydiving without even paying for it. Lucky sod
Trouble with that is it would involve opening a door, causing massive depressurisation which would suck other people out too. Also, you might get sucked in to one of the jet engines and that would be annoying.
Old 22-02-2013, 02:58
NYCBrit61
Inactive Member

Ok so I'm flying to New York JFK on Monday from London Heathrow and I cant take my mind of it. I don't know what to do I'm just so anxious. I havent flown since I was 12...

I guess what scares me most is take off, the motion, the angle when the plane banks... ugh

I've never had a panic attack before but this anticipation is killing me. I thought I'd be okay but this is getting worse and worse. Theres no going back.. I need help

You'll be fine.

Apart from sitting in cattle class

Have you got an aisle seat or window?

What time is your flight?

Take plenty of reading material with you and watch the movies, you have 7.5 hours to occupy your mind.
NYCBrit61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 02:59
vosne
Forum Member

Trouble with that is it would involve opening a door, causing massive depressurisation which would suck other people out too. Also, you might get sucked in to one of the jet engines and that would be annoying.
True but I think they multiply your baggage allowance up if you plan on arriving in a thousand pieces. OP could pack an elephant (or 12) and still not get charged excess. I fail to see a downside to this eventuality
Old 22-02-2013, 03:06
fender101
Forum Member

True but I think they multiply your baggage allowance up if you plan on arriving in a thousand pieces. OP could pack an elephant (or 12) and still not get charged excess. I fail to see a downside to this eventuality
Good point. I think the only real worry here though is that the flight crew don't have a sick sense of humour and show Air Crash Investigation on the National Geographic Channel as the in flight entertainment.

Seriously OP, your only real problem will be boredom.
Old 22-02-2013, 03:15
exlordlucan
Forum Member

That's the best part of flying!

If you want help though then sit at the very back of the plane because you don't notice it as much.
exlordlucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 03:18
LH1
Forum Member

I'm terrified of flying so I can sympathise. You could go to your doctor and get something just for the flight which will take the edge off your anxiety and nervousness. It's better than feeling terrified.
LH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 03:23
vosne
Forum Member

If you want help though then sit at the very back of the plane because you don't notice it as much.
Plus you likely hit the ground last when you crash so you get an extra nanosecond to enjoy the view.

Is any of this helping, OP?
Old 22-02-2013, 03:26
George_Hall
Forum Member

I heard wing seats were the best for that?

If I had headphones in during take off do you reckon I could lsiten to music? They tell you to turn stuff off but I just think it would make it easier for my mind.

People use camcorders to record take offs?
Old 22-02-2013, 03:29
vosne
Forum Member

I really wouldn't advise sitting on the wings. At all. That's for pros and platinum Amex card carriers only
Old 22-02-2013, 03:46
Fizix
Forum Member

I always find that the back feels strange.

Anyway, I'm no fan of flying in smaller aircraft, but a 747 feels very solid, you barely feel a thing.
Fizix is online now Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 03:46
exlordlucan
Forum Member

LOL no, whichever side you sit you'll see the other raise or lower as it banks and you said that was one of things that scared you most.

If I had headphones in during take off do you reckon I could lsiten to music? They tell you to turn stuff off but I just think it would make it easier for my mind.
Listening to music via disc or mp3 is ok, it's radio and phone signals they aren't happy with and ask you to switch off.
exlordlucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 04:10
NewBallsPlease
Forum Member

Yes mama
NewBallsPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 04:14
George_Hall
Forum Member

I always find that the back feels strange.

Anyway, I'm no fan of flying in smaller aircraft, but a 747 feels very solid, you barely feel a thing.
Thats true, my friend says its the smoothest plane hes ever flown on, like I said, take off makes me scared the most, being pushed back into your seat... Just how violent is it?

I'm not worried about it crashing or anything, I know that sort of thing has incredibly low chances.

Maybe I need to find some pills for motion sickness or something
Old 22-02-2013, 04:35
Mumof3
Forum Member

Take some disposable mini foam earplugs, - it'll help cut down the noise, which helps if you're in an anxious, over-sensitised state. Try and get a seat near the wings (more stable position), and forward of the engines (quieter). I expect you'll have so much adrenalin rushing round your system that you'll feel very tired after the first couple of hours, which ultimately helps. Try not to drink a lot of alcohol tho', as this can complicate your overall experience. Finally, be aware that the take off in a 747 takes a r e a l l y long time: although I've flown a lot, I've often thought " when the heck is this getting off the ground?" after a really long journey down the runway.
Mumof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 04:37
George_Hall
Forum Member

I wont be drinking any, im 17