Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Weight Loss Thread - 2013 Edition

Old 22-02-2013, 10:29
Progrez
Forum Member

Hi I'm looking to join this thread after being lambasted (quite rightly) for trying to lose weight by eating 800 calories a day. Did this for two weeks and lost nothing.

I work an average of 10 hour days with two hours travel time so I really don't have much time to excercise. I'm hoping that upping my calorie intake to 1000 - 1200 will be OK. I'm 5ft 2 and female.
Surely you can spare some time during the weekend for exercise? I'd suggest you take protein powder during the day it will help control your blood sugar level and help you lose weight.
Progrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 22-02-2013, 11:33
GiraffeGirl
Forum Member

Hi I'm looking to join this thread after being lambasted (quite rightly) for trying to lose weight by eating 800 calories a day. Did this for two weeks and lost nothing.

I work an average of 10 hour days with two hours travel time so I really don't have much time to excercise. I'm hoping that upping my calorie intake to 1000 - 1200 will be OK. I'm 5ft 2 and female.
What sort of job do you do? I've managed to exercise at least once a week since the beginning of January, but I also think that a large part of my generally being fitter is that I walk around a lot more at work. Luckily the nature of my job is such that walking round almost makes me better at it! (Although my year 11 class said I made them dizzy one day...)

Do you travel by car or public transport? Can you get off a stop earlier and walk?

I'm a firm believer that anything you can do to make you more active in any way is a big winner.
GiraffeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 12:18
WinterFire
Forum Member

Today is my weigh-in day.

81.5kg. Down from 82kg last week. Loss of 0.5kg, or a pound and a little bit.

Not spectacularly fast, but I'm happy to be consistently losing small amounts each week now.

Great start today - had a Krispy Kreme doughnut for breakfast.
Welcome Splot.

Perhaps you should banish hypercalorific foreign muck and stock your larder with more healthy treats.
WinterFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 12:20
WinterFire
Forum Member

What sort of job do you do? I've managed to exercise at least once a week since the beginning of January, but I also think that a large part of my generally being fitter is that I walk around a lot more at work. Luckily the nature of my job is such that walking round almost makes me better at it! (Although my year 11 class said I made them dizzy one day...)
This morning I was demonstrating zombie walks (including sound effects) to a class.
Old 22-02-2013, 12:21
Trsvis_Bickle
Forum Member

I don't want to focus on the past and 2 weeks is not much time at all in the scheme of weight loss but are you sure you saw no change by consuming only 800 cals/day for a fortnight? It's not much food at all.
Trsvis_Bickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 12:31
Trsvis_Bickle
Forum Member

Today is my weigh-in day.

81.5kg. Down from 82kg last week. Loss of 0.5kg, or a pound and a little bit.

Not spectacularly fast, but I'm happy to be consistently losing small amounts each week now.
Mine too. 87.05kg. Exactly what I was on 4th February but that was after 3 days' of eating virtually nothing due to illness. I knew it wouldn't be maintained. In the greater scheme of things (and this is a long-term change after all) I've lost 3.6kg (just under 8 lbs) in just over 6 weeks.

I'm with you - slow and consistent and accepting it won't be the same every week is the way to go. I'm meeeting up this evening with a friend who went on to Lighter Life a couple of months ago (something like 550 cals / day) so I'll be interested in how he's done but it's not for me.
Old 22-02-2013, 12:43
molliepops
Forum Member

Great start today - had a Krispy Kreme doughnut for breakfast.

That's your treat, just forget it and move on to eating more healthily at your next meal. If you count calories you can have pretty much any food as long as it comes into your count total.

Do you travel by car or public transport? Can you get off a stop earlier and walk?

I'm a firm believer that anything you can do to make you more active in any way is a big winner.
Absolutely, I can't exercise but I am moving more and dogs have not looked as fit for a while as little 10 minute walks several times a day are easier for me to fit in and do.

Mine too. 87.05kg. Exactly what I was on 4th February but that was after 3 days' of eating virtually nothing due to illness. I knew it wouldn't be maintained. In the greater scheme of things (and this is a long-term change after all) I've lost 3.6kg (just under 8 lbs) in just over 6 weeks.

I'm with you - slow and consistent and accepting it won't be the same every week is the way to go. I'm meeeting up this evening with a friend who went on to Lighter Life a couple of months ago (something like 550 cals / day) so I'll be interested in how he's done but it's not for me.
I cannot see how these diets work ?? they are not teaching the person to have a change they can sustain for life, which is what we all need.
molliepops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 13:00
Trsvis_Bickle
Forum Member

I cannot see how these diets work ?? they are not teaching the person to have a change they can sustain for life, which is what we all need.
Oh absolutely. I saw this guy a few weeks after he started on Lighter Life and he had, indeed, lost a lot of weight. He was a big lad - he had relentlessly gained weight at the rate of about a stone a year since getting married 7 years ago so there was plenty of, er, potential to lose. However, as you say, no-one can maintain that regime for any length of time - I imagine you'd ultimately starve to death on 550cals/day.
Old 22-02-2013, 13:04
striing
Forum Member

I think it depends on why you get fat in the first place. I know several people who have lost weight and sustained it in the long term on VLCDs. In my case I initally put on weight as a teenager due to being on (prescribed) steroids and then again when I was older through a sudden change in circumstances (unconnected to food). Obviously if you're an emotional eater then it wouldn't work because it can't change your psyche but if you gain a lot of weight quickly through non food related reasons and then just stay the same and can't shift it - well it seems to work in those circumstances. I haven't gone for it before partly because it's a bit grim at the time you do it and partly because I have a few medical issues (including anaemia) but I think it's getting to the stage where needing to shift a few stone is becoming more important. Ultimately I'll take the advice of a GP/GP's nutritionist. I don't think anyone should do these diets without close medical guidance and supervision.
striing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 13:13
zak2012
Forum Member

Last march i was 97KG now 71KG , i eat as usual all i had to do just exersice 6 days aweek for half hour each day on exersice bike which i bought from argos
zak2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 13:21
WinterFire
Forum Member

This page seems to suggest that a Krispy Kreme donut (assuming that the 52g is for one donut) is about 220 kcal. http://www.krispykreme.co.uk/uploads...ional-Info.pdf

That's about the same as the single piece of peanut butter toast that I ate this morning.

Surely it should be possible to have a Krispy Kreme donut breakfast, but still easily fit within a moderate daily calorie total. Not that I'd advise it, but starting with a Krispy Kreme donut does not necessarily imply a non-diet day.

Last march i was 97KG now 71KG , i eat as usual all i had to do just exersice 6 days aweek for half hour each day on exersice bike which i bought from argos
Well done Zak. I'm impressed by your weight loss. I'm also impressed that an exercise bike bought from Argos was robust enough to survive actual real usage. I have a certain amount of cynicism concerning their products. Could you please tell us which make and model you bought?
Old 22-02-2013, 13:26
Trsvis_Bickle
Forum Member

That is actually a very good result for an exercise-only intervention; works out at about 0.5kg per week. Congratulations on keeping it up for 11 months as well.
Old 22-02-2013, 13:40
molliepops
Forum Member

This page seems to suggest that a Krispy Kreme donut (assuming that the 52g is for one donut) is about 220 kcal. http://www.krispykreme.co.uk/uploads...ional-Info.pdf

That's about the same as the single piece of peanut butter toast that I ate this morning.

Surely it should be possible to have a Krispy Kreme donut breakfast, but still easily fit within a moderate daily calorie total. Not that I'd advise it, but starting with a Krispy Kreme donut does not necessarily imply a non-diet day.

Well done Zak. I'm impressed by your weight loss. I'm also impressed that an exercise bike bought from Argos was robust enough to survive actual real usage. I have a certain amount of cynicism concerning their products. Could you please tell us which make and model you bought?
Not so bad then and as I said include it into your calorie count no reason why a treat is taboo.
Old 22-02-2013, 14:07
zak2012
Forum Member

That is actually a very good result for an exercise-only intervention; works out at about 0.5kg per week. Congratulations on keeping it up for 11 months as well.
Thanks,i hope i wont put weight back on lol
Old 22-02-2013, 14:08
zak2012
Forum Member

Thanks,its Reebok from agros was on offer on argos tv from 250 to 199
Old 22-02-2013, 15:26
Splot
Forum Member

I don't want to focus on the past and 2 weeks is not much time at all in the scheme of weight loss but are you sure you saw no change by consuming only 800 cals/day for a fortnight? It's not much food at all.
In the first week I saw a drop of two pounds by the end, then I had a normal-ish day (not over the top) and put on three.

I haven't weighed myself since then so to be fair I could have lost something.
Splot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 15:43
GiraffeGirl
Forum Member

This morning I was demonstrating zombie walks (including sound effects) to a class.
Brilliant
Old 22-02-2013, 16:05
Splot
Forum Member

I work at a desk and often work 12 hours a day. Then it's an hour on the bus home. The only exercise I get is the 30 minute walk to the bus stop and back each day. Most week days I get up, go to work, have something to eat then go to bed.

I know there's no excuse for not doing something at the weekend but a lot of time I just want to rest, meet friends or catch up on on housework after the working week.

It's a cycle I'll have to break because if I did get exercise I'd probably feel as if I had more energy.
Splot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 17:16
GiraffeGirl
Forum Member

I work at a desk and often work 12 hours a day. Then it's an hour on the bus home. The only exercise I get is the 30 minute walk to the bus stop and back each day. Most week days I get up, go to work, have something to eat then go to bed.

I know there's no excuse for not doing something at the weekend but a lot of time I just want to rest, meet friends or catch up on on housework after the working week.

It's a cycle I'll have to break because if I did get exercise I'd probably feel as if I had more energy.
That's actually quite good. Don't feel so down
Old 22-02-2013, 17:22
Hetal
Forum Member

Lost another 3Ibs this week. Not far from my goal now. Only 5lbs more to go.
Hetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 17:40
WinterFire
Forum Member

Speaking of 'cycle', would it be safe and practical for you to cycle to work instead of taking the bus?

Congratulations to Hetal and everyone else who lost weight.

I'm still 300 calories short of my target today, and my son has eaten all the bourbon biscuits. Not sure what to do with this surfeit. Ah, a banana will consume 1/3 of it.

Thanks,its Reebok from agros was on offer on argos tv from 250 to 199
I had a look and the Reebok ones are quite expensive and have good reviews. In fact the entire range sold at Argos seem to have gone up-market a lot. It used to be that you could buy so-called exercise bikes for 30 or so, but they simply weren't any good.
Old 22-02-2013, 17:48
kyresa
Forum Member

Surely as well as calories though you are considering the fat content of a food?

For example:
(this won't tabulate properly I know)

Item Serving Size Calorie Count Grams of Fat
hot cross bun 70g 205 3.9
scone 70g 225 7.6

So the same size portion, only 20 more calories, but almost double the amount of fat!!!

That's why a donut won't be good for breakfast
kyresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 21:32
molliepops
Forum Member

I think you do need a treat though, no one is suggesting it is a healthy or desirable everyday meal, just an occasional treat.
Old 22-02-2013, 21:36
kyresa
Forum Member

I think you do need a treat though, no one is suggesting it is a healthy or desirable everyday meal, just an occasional treat.
I think it has thrown up something interesting in the calorie counting method to be honest. That something can have the same amount of calories as another food, but twice as much fat !
kyresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 22:58
BiggusDiccus
Forum Member

Im a ~30yr old male, I started putting on LOADS of weight towards the end of Uni to the point that I weighed 30st!

I could sort of get away with 'carrying' it as im 6'4, though about 20 months ago I realised that this was unacceptable and decided to do something about it. Im now down to 18st and still going downwards.

Id like to give my POV on the whole diet 'thing'. Maybe someone will find it helpful:

Temporary Diets dont work, you need to correct your eating habits permanently, dont go on 'diet' change your lifestyle.

Stop eating crap 24/7, I know it tastes good and your probably lazy like me and its quick and easy, but you need to decided whether you want to cram donuts in your mouth or have a healthy and active body you cant do both, you need to choose.

Dont be afraid to have a cheat meal once in a while, it's okay, your not in prison you can enjoy stuff occasionally, just make sure it's occasionally and doesnt become every day, like once a week and dont binge either - eat sensibly when you cheat.

In order to lose weight you need to burn more calories than you take in, it's realy that simple. Friends have said to me oh I only eat 800 calories I cant loose weight like you. I ask a little further and find out they dont excercise at all and drink 10 coffees a day (which when black have no real calories) with full fat milk and sugar.....sigh.

I used to struggle exercising - after work I was tired, busy or would make up some other excuse to do it, if you want to lose weight you need to be proactive and not think or wish about doing it - if you cant, dont bother trying to struggle yo-yo deiting, realise you are making excuses up and thats half the battle. You can ALWAYS find a way if you WANT TOO, if someone put a gun to your head and said you need to spend 30 minutes a day doing charity work or they will come and shoot you in your sleep, you will find a way to accomplish that - this is called "motivation", laziness's arch nemesis.

Find your way to exercise 30 intense minutes a day and you will be in route to weighing less and feeling healthier. I found my way by waking up EARLY and exercising before getting ready for work. This might not be for everyone, but I call anyone out who cant get up earlier and do some exercise. In the end it worked for me, because I was getting up an hour earlier and doing a preplanned series of exercises and weights in a concise time frame. A benefit of this is that exercising releases endorphin's which kick in and make the day go by faster and gave me a good mood for the rest of the day and work. Also it kick starts your metabolism so helps with your calorie intake for the day!

If you are big/heavy like I was, DONT run for cardio, use a bike, go swimming (unlikely since you will be self conscious) or use a rowing machine as you will damage your joints and tendons needlessly by putting them under serious stress, so do low joint impact cardio work until your lighter then do all that other stuff, worse thing that can happen is get injured and fall back into sitting on your bum and feeling sorry for yourself - it's happened to me!

DONT use scales to measure your weight, BMI is also a load of rubbish - it works in principle but there will be a point where you are doing the routines and not loosing any weight, because your flab is being replaced by heavier muscle and you will dispair. Instead use clothing as goals - I have goal shirts that are much smaller than I can wear, and I try these on to see progress, there is no better a feeling than buttoning up a shirt that wouldn't even close beforehand.

Thats a few pointers that helped me lose 12 stone so far, I hope it's of help to someone, it might not be to everyone's taste.
BiggusDiccus is offline   Reply With Quote