Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Nice and not very nice celebrities who you have met (merged)

Old 15-02-2013, 13:25
skyscapes
Forum Member

I met Margaret Rutherford when I was a teenager. She was appearing at the Liverpool Playhouse with John Neville,Anna and Raymond Massey,Ralph Richardson. They were all charming and prepared to sign autogrpahs in the pouring rain for 2 sodden schoolgirls but Margaret came out last and insisted we went back inside the stage door with her as "You two little girls are getting soaked" She flung her tapestry wrap over her shoulder ( just like Miss Marple) and hugged us. What a gem!
I heard a radio programme about Margaret Rutherford recently. She had a terribly sad early life. Her father murdered her grandfather and was confined to Broadmoor on and off. Her mother committed suicide by hanging and Margaret herself had mental health problems throughout her life.

She was an incredibly kind woman who helped all sorts of waifs and strays. Lucky you to experience this side of her,

Did you know that Tony Benn was her cousin?
skyscapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 15-02-2013, 21:57
sofan
Forum Member

I went to see Slash last night. I met Slash himself, Todd Kerns and Frank Sidoris and they were all soooooo nice! Especially Frank and Slash. They took pictures and all, talked to fans and not for only 5 minutes. Very impressed
sofan is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 17:36
catboy71
Forum Member

I went to see Slash last night. I met Slash himself, Todd Kerns and Frank Sidoris and they were all soooooo nice! Especially Frank and Slash. They took pictures and all, talked to fans and not for only 5 minutes. Very impressed
Have to agree with you .I've met Slash a few times too and he's always a real gent - totally down to earth.
catboy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 22:10
RandomPeter94
Forum Member

I met Melinda Messenger today. She was really lovely, genuine and nice. She opened a village shop and we had a good 5 minute chat about where we live, what places we know, me at Uni etc Got a picture with her too.
RandomPeter94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 18:10
enudzio
Forum Member

my mate met Clare and Sarah of Hollyoaks , they were nice.
enudzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 07:49
grantus_max
Forum Member

my mate met Clare and Sarah of Hollyoaks , they were nice.
World's best anecdote...
grantus_max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:11
bibblebabble
Forum Member

I'm no doubt the only person on the planet.... but I think Dusty was over-rated and at Cilla's best, I preferred her voice over Dusty's. But I will agree re Pet Clark (brilliant, such clarity) and Dionne.
I had to laugh at her skit on room 101 knowing she's one of the worst for it.
As for Surprise Surpise it was the most cringeworthy show on TV.
My dad used to call it Patronise Patronise
It's not much better with Holly Wilobooby except she's far better looking
Nicer Norks
Isn't as patronising but it still nauseates
And above all doesn't sing that bloody awful nauseating intro song.
bibblebabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:24
mike1948
Forum Member

I'm no doubt the only person on the planet.... but I think Dusty was over-rated and at Cilla's best, I preferred her voice over Dusty's. But I will agree re Pet Clark (brilliant, such clarity) and Dionne.
Of the four most popular British female singers in the 1960s, only Dusty and Petula had significant success in the US, the best test of an artist. Their singing ability was head and shoulders above that of Ciila and Lulu.

Cilla's big advantage was that she had a great record producer in George Martin and some good songs, although some were cover versions on American hits. Her version of the Righteous Brothers' You Lost That Lovin' Feeling was very inferior to theirs. Luckily the record buying public realised it too.

Arguably Cilla had greater success as a TV personality than as a singer.
mike1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:28
Bagsbunny
Forum Member

I follow Danny Baker on Twitter, and one day he said he was off to Waterstones in Greenwich to attend his friend's children's book promotion. I live in the area and wanted to get his book. He was very charming at being "mugged" and insisted on posing for wacky photos and signing my copy. And, he was wearing massive headphones, he really is a music-addict.

In the past, I've met Captain Sensible, chief of the Damned on several occasions. I roadied for my mate's punk band who supported a side-project of his called the Doctor Space Toad Experience, on 4-or five gigs in the North. Not only is he a brilliant musician-totally under-rated-he is a charming,gentle,witty, erudite man, a joy to meet. A strict veggie, loves rabbits and proper beer.
Bagsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:35
Moffgal
Forum Member

Met Jarvis Cocker years ago, lovely chap. My friend asked him for an autograph and he wrote her a poem!

Davina Macall was lovely too, met her just before BB started.
Moffgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 19:29
Glenn A
Forum Member

Heard some odd things about Kate Bush recently. Seemingly she is trying to block a public right of way and a beach in Devon, where she has a second home, and is so obsessed with her privacy she even went up in a helicopter to see if people were looking into her garden. Also she seems to go ballistic if anyone catches a glimpse of her in garden in her main home.
However, the singer usually is kind to her closest friends and perfectly fine with fans at occasional conventions. It's just she can't stand anyone near her private world.
Glenn A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 20:46
planets
Forum Member

i met sam neill (jurassic park, the dish, the piano etc) years ago and he was absolutely lovely, he couldn't have been nicer and was ever so much better looking in real life....
planets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 20:53
Saltydog1955
Inactive Member

i met sam neill (jurassic park, the dish, the piano etc) years ago and he was absolutely lovely, he couldn't have been nicer and was ever so much better looking in real life....
Oooh, lucky you - I love Sam Neill! *jealous*
Saltydog1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 20:56
The Prumeister
Forum Member

Heard some odd things about Kate Bush recently. Seemingly she is trying to block a public right of way and a beach in Devon, where she has a second home, and is so obsessed with her privacy she even went up in a helicopter to see if people were looking into her garden. Also she seems to go ballistic if anyone catches a glimpse of her in garden in her main home.
However, the singer usually is kind to her closest friends and perfectly fine with fans at occasional conventions. It's just she can't stand anyone near her private world.

I don't think there's anything odd about someone wanting to respect their privacy.
The Prumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 20:59
planets
Forum Member

Oooh, lucky you - I love Sam Neill! *jealous*
i have to say i was totally swoonified by him, all i can say is he must be reaaaaally unphotogenic because in real life he was dazzling!
Old 04-03-2013, 21:01
Saltydog1955
Inactive Member

i have to say i was totally swoonified by him, all i can say is he must be reaaaaally unphotogenic because in real life he was dazzling!
Always remember reading a story that when he was looking for a slogan for the wine he produces he said it should be ''Two Paddocks - it gets you pi$$ed!''.

A sense of humour as well as being a lovely bloke. He has it all!
Saltydog1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 21:11
planets
Forum Member

Always remember reading a story that when he was looking for a slogan for the wine he produces he said it should be ''Two Paddocks - it gets you pi$$ed!''.

A sense of humour as well as being a lovely bloke. He has it all!
oh i'd not heard that anecdote that's great!!!
Old 05-03-2013, 09:03
lakes
Forum Member

Rylan, Great guy, very funny and talks to everyone but he is 100 mile an hour right now lol
lakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:59
katmobile
Forum Member

Lucky you - the lovely Mr Neill has been a long term crush of mine I've got to say since the 80s.
katmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:55
Jerrica09
Forum Member

To be fair, her neighbours sound like a horrible bunch, there were rumours spread that she was in an incestuous relationship with her child. Who would want to interact with nasty-minded gossips?
Jerrica09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 13:02
Ella Nut
Forum Member

Of the four most popular British female singers in the 1960s, only Dusty and Petula had significant success in the US, the best test of an artist. Their singing ability was head and shoulders above that of Ciila and Lulu.

Cilla's big advantage was that she had a great record producer in George Martin and some good songs, although some were cover versions on American hits. Her version of the Righteous Brothers' You Lost That Lovin' Feeling was very inferior to theirs. Luckily the record buying public realised it too.

Arguably Cilla had greater success as a TV personality than as a singer.
I don't like Dusty's voice that much and prefer Cilla's, when she was at the top of her game (pre nose-job). That's my preference but thanks for your response anyway.

For me Cilla's version of "I've been wrong before" is miles ahead of Dusty's for example. You will disagree, as will most others but that's fine.
Ella Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 13:27
Olive_Boyle
Forum Member

I don't like Dusty's voice that much and prefer Cilla's, when she was at the top of her game (pre nose-job). That's my preference but thanks for your response anyway.

For me Cilla's version of "I've been wrong before" is miles ahead of Dusty's for example. You will disagree, as will most others but that's fine.
Dear or dear! I think you need a good clear out of your ear holes.
Olive_Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 13:30
Ella Nut
Forum Member

Dear or dear! I think you need a good clear out of your ear holes.
You're very rude. Therefore you need to learn some manners.
Ella Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 13:53
Olive_Boyle
Forum Member

You're very rude. Therefore you need to learn some manners.
Ok I'll admit to being rude. Will you admit to having bad taste in music?
Olive_Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 14:24
grantus_max
Forum Member

Ok I'll admit to being rude. Will you admit to having bad taste in music?
Can I admit to both, with some questionable taste in clothing taken into consideration please?

grantus_max is offline   Reply With Quote