Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Richard Wilson "Comes Out"

Old 06-03-2013, 15:18
grantus_max
Forum Member

Some of the youtube comments actually seem to be sticking up for Manning, which is weird. I thought he was universally despised.
I wouldn't go judging the consensus of society's attitudes based on YouTube comments, any more than I would on Have Your Say or the Daily Mail...

They seem to attract the kneejerkers amongst us like bees to honey. Keeps them all in the same place I suppose, and off the streets
grantus_max is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 06-03-2013, 17:03
Miss Lister
Forum Member

My friend works with Richard Wilson and he said a nicer man you couldn't hope to meet.

I also asked him if he'd ever been tempted to utter the famous catch phrase in his presence and apparently he had never seen any episodes of 'One foot'. Of course I replied, 'I don't ...!'
Miss Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 23:43
Jon Ross
Forum Member

Some of the youtube comments actually seem to be sticking up for Manning, which is weird. I thought he was universally despised.
Manning didn't become a millionaire by being universally despised.
Jon Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:53
TardisSteve
Forum Member

i never knew he was gay, good for him for coming out and proud, have never met him, think he is a fantastic actor though
TardisSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 12:24
katmobile
Forum Member

Manning didn't become a millionaire by being universally despised.
But by the 90s he'd become a bit of a dinosaur in terms of comedy - the alternative comedy scene of the 80s was a reaction to comedians like Manning.
katmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 20:28
Jon Ross
Forum Member

But by the 90s he'd become a bit of a dinosaur in terms of comedy - the alternative comedy scene of the 80s was a reaction to comedians like Manning.
Of course it was, but even when he wasn't on TV he was still making a fortune doing his live shows. He wasn't struggling.
Jon Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:02
MissCulture
Inactive Member

That episode of Mrs Merton with Manning on it, I thought Richard handled the whole cringe-fest very well and I particularly loved him when a lady in the audience behind him called out to get his attention by saying 'Victor' and Richard immediately turn around and said 'yes?'...that he did not correct her or admonish her for calling him by his character name shows what a great sort he is. Great moment that...did anyone else catch it?
MissCulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:19
MissCulture
Inactive Member

I love the way Richard's voice goes into Victor-mode at times when he's trying to get a word in
Manning got seriously nasty when his jokes were not going well there...
MissCulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:33
Joey1985
Forum Member

Looking at the comments though, the ones sticking up for Bernard seem like morons tbh, he was a horrible peice of work, wasn't eh
Joey1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 23:06
M@nterik
Forum Member

I love the way Richard's voice goes into Victor-mode at times when he's trying to get a word in
Manning got seriously nasty when his jokes were not going well there...
Wilson handled that magnificently. Loved his 'victor' mode.
M@nterik is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 00:29
dodrade
Forum Member

Of course it was, but even when he wasn't on TV he was still making a fortune doing his live shows. He wasn't struggling.
Whilst old fashioned un-PC comedy like Manning's disappeared from TV in the 80's the audience for it didn't, they're largely the same kind of people who watch Mrs Brown's Boys today.
dodrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:42
RadioKnower
Forum Member

The difference is, Mrs Brown's Boys isn't malicious. It could be argued it goes after a cheap laugh like Manning.

I think it's without foundation to say all the people who enjoy Mrs Brown's Boys would enjoy Manning's comedy. There is probably some crossover granted, but I think you're just being a comedy snob if the suggestion is Mrs Brown's Boys is just going after the kind of audience who would like Manning's stuff.
RadioKnower is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 13:59
MadonnaMIX
Forum Member

Good on him
MadonnaMIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 22:13
Laptop Lil
Forum Member

Always knew that Richard was gay even years ago, but hey seems like a nice guy and a good actor.
Laptop Lil is offline   Reply With Quote