Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Gazza back in rehab

Old 11-02-2013, 21:42
Fizgig
Forum Member

It has been known for alcoholics to recover their near-failing liver in hospital and go home looking better, but die the next time they have a drinking session. It is a poison to them once the liver is damaged to a certain point, as CreamPuff said.
Fizgig is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:12
MJS
Forum Member

Thing is though that he'd most likely been building up to a massive bender.
I can only guess but possibly he'd been having a drink here and a drink there and the alcohol was in his system.

Alcoholics can all take a drink and remain functioning but the next day leads to an extra one then another extra one and the following day its a few extras and before the alcoholic knows it.........
You are quite right - it's called topping up. If an alcoholic stops drinking for say 6 months, a year, 2 years, or even longer, if they start drinking again they don't start at the point as if they've never had a drink, but at the point they stopped drinking.
MJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 17:35
Grouty
Forum Member

FA and England squad have chipped in 40k to help him, funny that, everyones been saying for months and months and months that they should help him, yet not a thing, they didn't want to know, but now hes supposed to be close to death, the buggers are scrambling to help, you couldn't make it up, should have helped him before when it was asked!.

Its like when people campaign to get a road made safer, they won't do anything, just tell them to sod off, then when a kid gets killed on that road, they make it safer!
Grouty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 21:02
evie71
Forum Member

FA and England squad have chipped in 40k to help him, funny that, everyones been saying for months and months and months that they should help him, yet not a thing, they didn't want to know, but now hes supposed to be close to death, the buggers are scrambling to help, you couldn't make it up, should have helped him before when it was asked!.

Its like when people campaign to get a road made safer, they won't do anything, just tell them to sod off, then when a kid gets killed on that road, they make it safer!
Why should they fund him? He's a complete joke . He's had load of support over the years but truth is he wants to drink!
I'm sick of seeing his ugly bloated mug over the front pages of the sun tbh (hubbies toilet paper, not mine) he's a pathetic waste of space who should just sod off. I can think of a zillion better causes than him! Grrrrr
evie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 20:40
Osusana
Forum Member

The FA and the PFA have spent a lot of money putting him in detox time and time again - do your research.
Only last year the PFA paid for him to go to Sporting Chance - the place that Tony Adams set up for addicts. He stayed a few days then checked himself out. He does not want to help himself and until he does - he will drink
Osusana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:49
whatever54
Forum Member

surprised to hear he is out already, doesn't seem like he's been there 5 weeks. Hope he has sorted things out but I do worry as seems very quick
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...nowing-1751898
whatever54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:38
MJS
Forum Member

surprised to hear he is out already, doesn't seem like he's been there 5 weeks. Hope he has sorted things out but I do worry as seems very quick
I'm surprised too, but then according to the Mirror he wasn't discharged but left early. 5 weeks is nothing. At this moment his body may be free of alcohol, but his mind certainly isn't. I wish him luck.
MJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:24
Westy2
Forum Member

Know this is morbid, but whos just waiting for a certain headline now?
Westy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:25
Vodka_Drinka
Forum Member

Know this is morbid, but whos just waiting for a certain headline now?
Wouldn't surprise me at all.
Vodka_Drinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:45
laurielou
Forum Member

Wouldn't surprise me at all.
Me neither. A month is not long enough, no way. It'll be the same old, same old, I'm afraid.
laurielou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:49
lexi22
Inactive Member

That's not rehab, that's a holiday. He needs an absolute minimum of 3 months and unless he's going on to another residential or day programme (and I don't mean just attending AA meetings), I think he's doomed. Sad.
lexi22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:42
Bellagio
Forum Member

Let's be realistic about this - he's going to die. He's going to die because he's got an untreatable addiction and because, more importantly, he doesn't want to get over it - because if he did, he would have by now. You can have all the help in the world but if, deep, deep down, you don't want to stop then you won't. Two words: George Best.

I've had family experience of both sides: a brother who did want to stop, and did... and someone else who said he wanted to stop but didn't despite all the help you could ask for. He's dead now.
Bellagio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:06
occy
Forum Member

He does seem to have spent a short time in rehab. Time will tell.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21732018
occy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:23
whatever54
Forum Member

He does seem to have spent a short time in rehab. Time will tell.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21732018
given how long-running his problems are and that his friends were funding treatment I struggle to understand why he didn't stay at the clinic longer. That article suggests he is going back to Bournemouth and going to start AA meetings again, deja vu. Best of luck to him but he has the benefit of hindsight from similar previous situations so I don't understand his logic. As Lexi said 3 months minimum, anything less sounds like a mini-break
whatever54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:52
occy
Forum Member

How can someone who is an alcoholic dry out with in a matter of weeks. Seems a bizzare PR sympathy stunt.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:05
sweetpeanut
Forum Member

How can someone who is an alcoholic dry out with in a matter of weeks. Seems a bizzare PR sympathy stunt.

Its just a normal thing for a addict to convince themselfs they are cured and now in control.
sweetpeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:11
Saltydog1955
Inactive Member

He's gone back to Newcastle to his dad's place. Hope he can finally conquer this with the help of his family. Perhaps that's exactly what he needs.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...lcohol-1753806
Saltydog1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:21
occy
Forum Member

He's gone back to Newcastle to his dad's place. Hope he can finally conquer this with the help of his family. Perhaps that's exactly what he needs.

Did he bring the hospital gown with him.

PR machine keeps following him. I understand he used to get money for every picture in the paper. I think Newcastle United or England should offer him something?
Old 10-03-2013, 12:30
teresagreen
Forum Member

He is out before he was in. No chance I would say. He seems like one of those addicts who expect other people to do the hard work for him because he really doesn't want to get over it. Give it a few more weeks and lets see what happens.
teresagreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 13:05
Blondie X
Forum Member

I hope so but I'm not sure. His dad used to think is was fine to take him down the pub as long as he didn't have a beer. Lets hope he's been educated somewhat since those days and he realises his son is in the last chance saloon now.
Blondie X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 13:23
Saltydog1955
Inactive Member

I'll quote this again in case anyone hasn't read it. A very honest piece by Jimmy Greaves who's been through the same hell.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...coigne-1646950
Old 10-03-2013, 14:56
asp746
Forum Member

Me neither. A month is not long enough, no way. It'll be the same old, same old, I'm afraid.
i agree - we've heard it all before - damage must surely be done and it wont be far off needing a transplant stage.
asp746 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 20:23
Inspiration
Forum Member

I'll quote this again in case anyone hasn't read it. A very honest piece by Jimmy Greaves who's been through the same hell.
Something that stood out in the article that i've thought of before is I wonder if someone somewhere could give him a role in football.. a daily one. Something he could get up for and turn up for each day. Maybe something to do with training. It would need to be a top club to keep his interest, but not Newcastle. It was just a thought. Perhaps he would see it as pity but if he had a purpose and could work towards something in football and help others perhaps it would give him a reason to keep going.
Inspiration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 20:31
Saltydog1955
Inactive Member

Something that stood out in the article that i've thought of before is I wonder if someone somewhere could give him a role in football.. a daily one. Something he could get up for and turn up for each day. Maybe something to do with training. It would need to be a top club to keep his interest, but not Newcastle. It was just a thought. Perhaps he would see it as pity but if he had a purpose and could work towards something in football and help others perhaps it would give him a reason to keep going.
He was manager of Kettering Town for 39 days back in 2005. That didn't help.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...nf/4500388.stm

I think Jimmy Greaves is right in that he says in that piece that Gazza just doesn't have the sheer 'bloody mindedness' to get out of this mess.
Old 11-03-2013, 20:34
Inspiration
Forum Member

He was manager of Kettering Town for 39 days back in 2005. That didn't help.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...nf/4500388.stm

I think Jimmy Greaves is right in that he says in that piece that Gazza just doesn't have the sheer 'bloody mindedness' to get out of this mess.
It would need to be a bigger role than that somewhere bigger at a club like Man Utd. Somewhere he would have his own little role as part of a bigger setup. Being manager of a club is just all wrong for him. I know what Jimmy is getting at but I don't think that means he should be given up on as a lost cause. Someone, somewhere, surely could offer him a role of importance that involves football as many days a week as possible.
Inspiration is offline   Reply With Quote