Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

"Blockbusters" on Challenge TV

Old 08-03-2013, 11:25
Coriakin
Forum Member

Plus despite 20 - 30 years passing the contestants got the same money for playing.
Even so, a losing contestant going away with just 5 does better than the winner in other quiz shows who get nothing.

Nobody wanted to[,] Challenge is the gameshow channel and is the only channel willing to try this type of quiz itv want big rating Saturday night shows these days.
I'm not sure about that. Blockbusters is a perfect quiz to fill up the day time and late afternoon schedules.
Coriakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:43
apaul
Forum Member

Nobody wanted to Challenge is the gameshow channel and is the only channel willing to try this type of quiz itv want big rating Saturday night shows these days.
Have you seen the weekday afternoon schedules of ITV and Channel 4 or the BBC for that matter? Full of quiz shows. Beats being full of property and cooking programmes.
apaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 12:43
crowby1
Forum Member

The set was wrong it looked totally out of place plus the lighting of the board was wrong.

I didn't mind the expansion of contestant age.

Simon Mayo was definietly wrong he has never been interesting.

Plus despite 20 - 30 years passing the contestants got the same money for playing.
That reminds me:

8) Terribly cheap gold run prizes.
crowby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 15:51
Zimbo78
Forum Member

I'd prefer Challenge to show more of the original series, they only show 1992 episodes
Zimbo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 15:52
JSemple3
Forum Member

I'd prefer Challenge to show more of the original series, they only show 1992 episodes
Completely agreed. The same 1992 episodes are getting lame! almost know them word for word they been on that many times
JSemple3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 23:13
daveycrocket222
Forum Member

Completely agreed. The same 1992 episodes are getting lame! almost know them word for word they been on that many times
I could say the same thing about Catchphrase.
daveycrocket222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:28
Coriakin
Forum Member

8) Terribly cheap gold run prizes.
The new Blockbusters was unusual in having prizes. They seem to have disappeared from almost all quizzes around at the moment which are either for kudos and a trophy or money. The latter frequently being a hook for the "What will you spend the money on?" question.

Had Blockbusters been an entirely new show, rather than a recreation of the original series, then probably either each Gold Run would be for increasing larger amounts of money or an unsuccessful Gold Run would mean you lost everything you had already won and quite possibly both.

I suspect the reason the original Blockbusters had prizes in the first place was because it might have seemed inappropriate for juvenile contestants to win large cash prizes.
Coriakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 18:36
daveycrocket222
Forum Member

One problem with the new series was making it exclusive to any age. Well two probs really the other being after 3 goldruns the contestant should go.
daveycrocket222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 19:07
Big Boy Barry
Forum Member

5 per right answer is appropriate

Blockbusters was never about winning ludicrously large cash amounts or overly lavish prizes

Challenge have done a very good job replicating the original as far as humanly possible. Now if only they'd bring back Going for Gold with European contestants and the same format as the original
Big Boy Barry is offline   Reply With Quote