Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Caught red handed bbc1

Old 12-03-2013, 10:21
Glowormfairy
Forum Member

I find it all a bit dodgy. The police leaving a laptop in the middle of the town centre and then arresting people for theft if they pick it up. Is blatent entrapment.
I can understand if they go out intentionally to steal the laptop but leaving it there as bait is a bit cruel. How do they know that the person who has the laptop isnt going to take it to the police station later?
Glowormfairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:25
harry hamster
Forum Member

I find it all a bit dodgy. The police leaving a laptop in the middle of the town centre and then arresting people for theft if they pick it up. Is blatent entrapment.
I can understand if they go out intentionally to steal the laptop but leaving it there as bait is a bit cruel. How do they know that the person who has the laptop isnt going to take it to the police station later?
Stolen by a well known thief in that area.
harry hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:29
Glowormfairy
Forum Member

Stolen by a well known thief in that area.
Yep he was a well known thief however is still entrapment.
Glowormfairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:53
Grouty
Forum Member

I cound't believe those stupid women, who were rushing across the level crossing with their pushchairs, while the lights were going and the barriers were coming down!
Grouty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:59
lundavra
Forum Member

Many police forces have been doing it with cars for a long time but it does seem very dodgy, if not illegal then certainly unethical. Probably relies on the scum doing the thieving not being able to afford expensive lawyers.
lundavra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:04
Killary45
Forum Member

Yep he was a well known thief however is still entrapment.
I agree. The offence would not have happened if the police had not left the laptop there seemingly unattended.

It is one thing for police to set up hidden surveillance in a situation where crime is likely to happen, such as a car park where cars have been stolen, or a changing room where someone breaks into lockers, but quite another for them to deliberately leave bait.
Killary45 is offline   Reply With Quote