Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Martin Freeman's partner 'declared bankrupt'..

Old 13-03-2013, 14:29
Saltydog1955
Inactive Member

....over a 120,000 tax bill. Seeing he's supposedly worth 10 million, perhaps he could have chipped in to help? Why do these celebs never save to pay their tax bills when they arrive?? Yes, I'm talking about you too Martine.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/...-bankrupt.html
Saltydog1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 13-03-2013, 15:51
roddydogs
Forum Member

She should ask Mr Selfridge for a loan.
roddydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 15:57
whatever54
Forum Member

....over a 120,000 tax bill. Seeing he's supposedly worth 10 million, perhaps he could have chipped in to help? Why do these celebs never save to pay their tax bills when they arrive?? Yes, I'm talking about you too Martine.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/...-bankrupt.html
pretty disgraceful IMO, yes I know it's the rubbish system but is very annoying considering they are as good as husband and wife
whatever54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 15:59
2shy2007
Forum Member

Well thats one way for the well off to avoid paying tax.
2shy2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 16:15
Semierotic
Forum Member

Are they actually married? If not this whole thread is pointless.
Semierotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 16:23
Shrike
Forum Member

Are they actually married? If not this whole thread is pointless.
No, they're not. So whilst there may be a moral obligation on Freeman to stump up, there isn't any legal one.
He probably feels he's paid enough tax as it is, without paying when he needn't.
Shrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 17:05
Super_Furry
Forum Member

Just because she's been declared bankrupt, it doesn't mean that she'll not have to pay her tax bill.
Super_Furry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 17:06
2shy2007
Forum Member

Well lets hope she pays every single penny back, surely she gets paid each time that awful Malteser advert comes on?
2shy2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 17:08
sheila blige
Forum Member

Just because she's been declared bankrupt, it doesn't mean that she'll not have to pay her tax bill.
I've always been under the impression that bankruptcy writes off ALL debts - including taxes.
sheila blige is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 17:20
whatever54
Forum Member

I've always been under the impression that bankruptcy writes off ALL debts - including taxes.
Ditto, according to the Mail she'll have to repay just a fraction of the tax bill. I don't know the ins and outs but surely people wouldn't declare themselves bankrupt if they had to repay all debts, that would defeat the object
Old 13-03-2013, 17:20
tellytart1
Forum Member

When you're made bankrupt, your assets (including your house in extreme cases and your car unless you need it to work) can be used to pay your debts, and for the duration of the bankruptcy the administrator will give you some of your earnings for food etc, and any spare money will be used to continue paying your debts.

You cannot hold credit or debit cards while bankrupt as your accounts will be frozen.

When the bankruptcy is discharged, some repayment agreements can continue to be in force for up to 3 years.
tellytart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 17:50
Helbore
Forum Member

When you're made bankrupt, your assets (including your house in extreme cases and your car unless you need it to work) can be used to pay your debts, and for the duration of the bankruptcy the administrator will give you some of your earnings for food etc, and any spare money will be used to continue paying your debts.

You cannot hold credit or debit cards while bankrupt as your accounts will be frozen.

When the bankruptcy is discharged, some repayment agreements can continue to be in force for up to 3 years.
The papers can't say things like that, though. How would they generate outrage if they said things like that?
Helbore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 18:00
Big Boy Barry
Forum Member

For a second I thought this said "Morgan Freeman declared bankrupt"
Big Boy Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 18:40
Saltydog1955
Inactive Member

Piece here by Alison Phillips. Totally agree with her.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...oiders-1759478

OK, Martin Freeman has no obligation to pay her tax bill, but it looks odd that he wouldn't help her out.
Saltydog1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 18:45
DavidT
Forum Member

What winds me up is hearing that a celebrity "has been hit with a tax bill", no they haven't. It hasn't just appeared and HMRC don't just magic one up out of thin air. In all likelihood the tax has been owing for some considerable time and hasn't been paid hence HMRC now taking action.
DavidT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 18:48
sheila blige
Forum Member

I'm beginning to feel sorry for her now - poor wee lamb! Someone ought to tell her to get her kids names down for free-school meals if she hasn't already!

The whole thing is hilarious - but it is good reading matter - takes your mind off all the cuts being made to the health service, the police, the armed forces caused by people shirking their taxes.
Old 13-03-2013, 18:52
whatever54
Forum Member

What winds me up is hearing that a celebrity "has been hit with a tax bill", no they haven't. It hasn't just appeared and HMRC don't just magic one up out of thin air. In all likelihood the tax has been owing for some considerable time and hasn't been paid hence HMRC now taking action.
quite, I know people get put on the wrong tax code but would take a while to accrue 120K debt. Very annoying much like the Martine debacle
Old 13-03-2013, 22:01
lolly-licker
Forum Member

I'm not quite sure why my posts got deleted...mods, can you help?
lolly-licker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 22:40
AdelaideGirl
Forum Member

OK, Martin Freeman has no obligation to pay her tax bill, but it looks odd that he wouldn't help her out.
I don't disagree that he shouldn't help out but I can see the other side that says maybe this is about her being a grown up, taking responsibility and learning to manage her own money. Sometimes it's not helpful to just pay someone's debits without making them stop the behaviour that got them into trouble in the first place.
AdelaideGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 22:49
sheila blige
Forum Member

I don't disagree that he shouldn't help out but I can see the other side that says maybe this is about her being a grown up, taking responsibility and learning to manage her own money. Sometimes it's not helpful to just pay someone's debits without making them stop the behaviour that got them into trouble in the first place.
On the other hand - maybe he felt that the 110,000 tax owed was better spent on a new snooker table!

We little people just have to face facts - there are some people out there who don't believe that taxes are for them. We just have to get used to footing the bill on their behalf.
Old 13-03-2013, 22:54
whatever54
Forum Member

maybe he should start charging her rent now, that'll learn her
(of course I am presuming the big swanky house is in his name)
Old 13-03-2013, 22:55
lolly-licker
Forum Member

Although, I have to say, if my partner was saying "ya know, despite my millions, maybe you should learn to manage your money better", I'd be seriously peeved
lolly-licker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 22:58
sheila blige
Forum Member

Although, I have to say, if my partner was saying "ya know, despite my millions, maybe you should learn to manage your money better", I'd be seriously peeved
Well you would start to doubt his feelings for you wouldn't you?
Old 13-03-2013, 22:59
Opaque
Forum Member

We just have to get used to footing the bill on their behalf.
Asked the government to get rid of the bankrupcy laws then?
Although of course if you did that it would affect lots of people who no fault of their own get into those situations.
No easy answer.
Opaque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 23:01
paperplanes_
Forum Member

Seems a bit odd, surely they shouldn't have to be married...
paperplanes_ is offline   Reply With Quote