Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Ray Winstone threatens to quit Britain.....

Old 17-03-2013, 14:22
*Sparkle*
Forum Member

Me too! The irksome thing is with Winstone (and others like him) is that he seems to think that HE is hardest done by. He doesn't consider that its even worse for people on low wages paying their taxes. Lets face it - petrol is still 1.36 a litre and a loaf of bread is still circa 1.25 whether you're a millionaire or on the minimum wage.
This really.

I'm not against people earning silly money for careers in showbiz, but when they are earning silly money and start to moan about taxes, it proves they have disappeared up their own arses.

He works as an actor, and while I'm sure a lot of people have enjoyed his work, we could make do without him.
*Sparkle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 17-03-2013, 14:39
Bungitin
Forum Member

So he made a stand by not paying taxes for the first 20 years. PAYE has a lot to answer for.
Bungitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 14:45
lyndalahughes
Inactive Member

So he made a stand by not paying taxes for the first 20 years. PAYE has a lot to answer for.
HMRC (inland revenue) comes down hard on the little people, this country is going down the pan...fast. I'm leaving in two weeks, thank God. I can't sit here and watch decent hard working people get used and abused any more.
lyndalahughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 14:48
Saltydog1955
Inactive Member

After being stupid enough to admit to avoiding tax for 20 years I wish the HMRC would send him a tax bill for the time he hasn't paid, then he'd be smirking on the other side of his face.

Complete idiot.
Saltydog1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 14:48
Syntax Error
Forum Member

Why is he threatening to leave the UK?

Does he think that anybody will miss him or something?

If he wants to leave, he should just leave & be done with it, or if not, he should shut up & carry on acting.
Syntax Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 14:59
Saltydog1955
Inactive Member

If he wants to leave, he should just leave & be done with it, or if not, he should shut up & carry on acting.
Yes, all a bit rich coming from a man who admitted to not paying tax for 20 years and excusing that fact by saying he was 'a young fella who knew nothing about the tax system'.

You aren't the daddy any more Ray. Put your money (and especially the 300,000 odd you salted away from the taxman as ''administrative expenses'') where your mahf is and do one mate.
Old 18-03-2013, 03:57
PunksNotDead
Forum Member

His Henry VIII always makes me laugh

"Ere......ANNE......wotcha tawkin' abaaart!!!"
I need to see this
PunksNotDead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013, 06:55
HungerCult
Forum Member

But if this rancid little turd leaves Britain he won't be able to make any more betting ads promoting gambling to the poor.
HungerCult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013, 07:05
roddydogs
Forum Member

Does that mean we wont have to suffer his rubbish at half time on Sky. Great news.
roddydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013, 07:29
Alrightmate
Forum Member

He's 'threatened' to leave Britain?

"As a staple of British gangster films Ray Winstone is used to playing hard man characters who don't mince their words.

In an interview with talkSPORT radio last night the Sexy Beast star was similiarily uncompromsing telling an interviewer he was ready to quit Britain because the country was 'being raped' by high taxes".
(whimper) Oh no, I'm shaking in my shoes. He's acting really hard isn't he? I'm cowering behind a chair here.

Why does he think anyone will be bothered? Lots of actors live abroad. He'll just make films and TV shows but be living in America or somewhere. It's not as though anybody is going to notice or anything. I didn't even know he was living in Britain. He could have already been living in America for all I know.
Alrightmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013, 08:13
Yvie123
Forum Member

After being stupid enough to admit to avoiding tax for 20 years I wish the HMRC would send him a tax bill for the time he hasn't paid, then he'd be smirking on the other side of his face.

Complete idiot.
They won't though, will they?
HMRC recoup their losses by hitting the rest of us even harder.

I used to like Ray Winstone a lot - from way back when he was in Quadrophenia - I've gone right off him now, though..
Yvie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013, 10:39
Saltydog1955
Inactive Member

They won't though, will they?
HMRC recoup their losses by hitting the rest of us even harder.
Of course they won't, but I can dream.

I'd love to see his face when he opened a big brown envelope marked HMRC and it demanded 3 million quid or so in back taxes.
Old 18-03-2013, 12:35
paulsh1
Forum Member

This reminds me of when Phil Collins threatened to quit Britain if Labour won the General Election.
The next morning,after Tony Blair's landslide,the Daily Mirror sent a taxi to his house to take him to the airport!
paulsh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013, 13:44
Yvie123
Forum Member

Of course they won't, but I can dream.

I'd love to see his face when he opened a big brown envelope marked HMRC and it demanded 3 million quid or so in back taxes.
Me too - as long as he didn't have to do even more of those betting ads to raise the money!
Old 18-03-2013, 13:46
Yvie123
Forum Member

This reminds me of when Phil Collins threatened to quit Britain if Labour won the General Election.
The next morning,after Tony Blair's landslide,the Daily Mirror sent a taxi to his house to take him to the airport!
And poor old Phil's not very good at taking a joke - bet he didn't see the funny side!!
Old 18-03-2013, 13:52
sheila blige
Forum Member

At least Phil had the decency to keep to his promise though didn't he? Winstone is just full of wind. I'm sure if Bob Hoskins hadn't retired when he did - Winstone wouldn't have been offered half the roles he has been.
sheila blige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013, 14:13
steve9999
Forum Member

At least Phil had the decency to keep to his promise though didn't he? Winstone is just full of wind. I'm sure if Bob Hoskins hadn't retired when he did - Winstone wouldn't have been offered half the roles he has been.
Bloody hell i have posted this many times Phil Collins never said he was leaving the UK

Google it!

Here is adirect quote from Phill

"Same goes for the idea that I'm a Tory rocker who threatened to leave the country in 1997 if Labour got in and raised my taxes. It's all garbage. I've only voted once in my life. In the late Sixties I voted Tory, only because my dad had been a lifelong Conservative. Nobody ever asked me if I was Tory or Labour. The truth is that I don't believe in any of them.

'As for my threat to leave the country, I moved to Switzerland because I'd fallen in love with a woman who lived on Lake Geneva. As I said at the time, I'd have moved to Grimsby if she happened to live there. Inevitably everyone in Grimsby turned around and said, "Why's he having a pop at Grimsby?" If you're Phil Collins it seems you just can't win.'"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012...her-rock-myths
steve9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013, 14:20
sheila blige
Forum Member

Bloody hell i have posted this many times Phil Collins never said he was leaving the UK
Google it!
Oh don't be so pedantic! He moved to Switzerland ages ago - we know! So I'll pass on the googling - my life won't be any worse for not knowing all there is to know about Phil Collins.
Old 18-03-2013, 14:29
steve9999
Forum Member

Oh don't be so pedantic! He moved to Switzerland ages ago - we know! So I'll pass on the googling - my life won't be any worse for not knowing all there is to know about Phil Collins.
How am i being pedantic?

I am stating the facts Phil Collins never said he would leave the UK if Labour won. It's just bull made up by the press...who knew the press lie...

I just find it annoying everytime a rich actor/music star complains about tax etc people always bring up Phil Collins and how he left to avoid tax etc
steve9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013, 17:21
Alrightmate
Forum Member

I'm not a fan of Phil Collins but it's hardly being pedantic. It's a crucial detail as to whether you believe the story or not.
Alrightmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013, 20:18
sheila blige
Forum Member

I'm not a fan of Phil Collins but it's hardly being pedantic. It's a crucial detail as to whether you believe the story or not.
Pedantic probably is the wrong word - however as nearly ALL outrageous reactions here on DS are largely based on newspaper articles which we know can be taken with a pinch of salt (we all just love a good moan - including me) I think its silly to go out of your way to pick andarticle from the Guardian from way back just to make a point. The main thing is that Phil Collins left the UK (I really don't care why - I've never rated him as either an actor or a musician anyway) so I'm certainly not going to google just so I can go 'ooohhhh so THAT's why he left the UK'.
Old 19-03-2013, 22:03
Tweacle Tart II
Forum Member

slightly off topic (well majorly) but all this bankruptcy stuff I wonder who may be next? My money is on hardman Danny Dyer.
Can't believe Ray has been made bankrupt twice, nothing like learning a lesson eh
If Danny Dyer decides to leave the country, can someone give me a shout as I want to kick him up the arse every step of the way? Thanks ever so
Tweacle Tart II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 00:40
Jon Ross
Forum Member

Andrew Lloyd Webber threatened to quit the UK if Labour won the 1997 general election. Labour did win and LW did not quit.
No, it was in 1992. Labour didn't win, so Lloyd-Webber stayed. See previous post.
Jon Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 00:50
Jon Ross
Forum Member

The main thing is that Phil Collins left the UK (I really don't care why - I've never rated him as either an actor or a musician anyway) so I'm certainly not going to google just so I can go 'ooohhhh so THAT's why he left the UK'.
Of course he's a crap actor and musician. He's a drummer. What do you expect? Have you never heard the joke "What do you call people who hang around with musicians? Drummers."

Phil Collins is quite clearly an annoying prick in many ways, a man who has become a complete joke in music, a man who even appears to hate himself today. However, it does seem a bit unfair people like you continue to misrepresent him on his politics when there are so many other good reasons to stick the knife into him that are more based in truth and not just based on a story in The Sun of all things! LOL

Collins' "threat" as it was reported by that great bastion of truth The Sun newspaper (as with Frank Bruno, Paul Daniels, Lloyd Webber etc) was that if tax went up to a level where the government was ending up with more of their money than they were, they would consider moving to another country where that didn't happen. Quite a reasonable point of view, IMHO, and one that most people on this forum would also take under the same circumstances. I think you'll find that during the 1970s, when income tax on top earners rocketed under the likes of Wilson and Callaghan, there was a massive exodus of superstars from this country, including David Bowie, Rod Stewart, Queen, Led Zeppelin, Bad Company, etc ... It's all well documented but they seem to escape much bad press for it.
Jon Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 07:08
scone
Forum Member

Pedantic probably is the wrong word - however as nearly ALL outrageous reactions here on DS are largely based on newspaper articles which we know can be taken with a pinch of salt (we all just love a good moan - including me) I think its silly to go out of your way to pick andarticle from the Guardian from way back just to make a point. The main thing is that Phil Collins left the UK (I really don't care why - I've never rated him as either an actor or a musician anyway) so I'm certainly not going to google just so I can go 'ooohhhh so THAT's why he left the UK'.
Your attitude stinks do you know that?
scone is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote