Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Greg Dyke new FA Chairman

Old 21-03-2013, 18:57
Mucky Fingers
Forum Member

He was a non-exec at Man Utd for two years. He is apparently a lifelong fan, which is just what English football needs, someone senior to give Fergie and his players even more licence to flout the rules.
What does who he supports have to do with anything? Brian Barwick was a big Liverpool fan and the man Greg Dyke is replacing, David Bernstein, was involved with Man City for years.
Mucky Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 21-03-2013, 20:14
occy
Forum Member

I like Greg Dyke.
occy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 23:14
Clatter
Forum Member

true but the rights are up quite soon so that will be one of his tasks as it is their main source of income
A new 3 year deal for the Premier League was signed only last year, so what rights are up soon?
Clatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 23:36
rfonzo
Forum Member

I wish I had a bet on him, i think it was inevitable that he was going to get the FC chairmen's job. Especially, when you consider that he has flitted around so many other posts previously.
rfonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 02:23
Cyclist
Forum Member

Let's see if he cuts the internal market (player transfers), reduces overheads (more player-managers), does something about the hideously white nature of management and introduces players dressed as giant rats.

What he does have is experience at the top of an iconic national institution, handling large budgets, dealing with controversy and handling the press. Sounds good to me.
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 07:16
hendero
Forum Member

A new 3 year deal for the Premier League was signed only last year, so what rights are up soon?
The FA don't control the TV rights to the Premier League. They control the rights to England home matches and the FA Cup.
hendero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 07:32
ftv
Forum Member

The FA don't control the TV rights to the Premier League. They control the rights to England home matches and the FA Cup.
So when are those rights next up for grabs ?
ftv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 09:13
hendero
Forum Member

So when are those rights next up for grabs ?
After the 2013/14 season for the FA Cup, and after Brazil 2014 for the England team.

http://m.guardian.co.uk/football/201...rnationals-itv

Maybe Greg Dyke will be ok, let's hope so. I just would have liked to see someone with the international credibility within the sport that someone like Seb Coe brought to the London Olympics and now the British Olympic Association. Not sure who in the world of English football would fit the bill. Trevor Brooking maybe?
Old 22-03-2013, 09:23
DANCE OF DEATH

So with Greg Dyke been in charge of the FA are we to expect Alan Shearer to be the DG of the BBC.
DANCE OF DEATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 13:24
ftv
Forum Member

After the 2013/14 season for the FA Cup, and after Brazil 2014 for the England team.

http://m.guardian.co.uk/football/201...rnationals-itv

Maybe Greg Dyke will be ok, let's hope so. I just would have liked to see someone with the international credibility within the sport that someone like Seb Coe brought to the London Olympics and now the British Olympic Association. Not sure who in the world of English football would fit the bill. Trevor Brooking maybe?
David Beckham obviously, far better known internationally than Brooking. But then you have a man from the post office now running ITV - where does that sort of experience come in ?
ftv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 13:59
hendero
Forum Member

David Beckham obviously, far better known internationally than Brooking. But then you have a man from the post office now running ITV - where does that sort of experience come in ?
Beckham is still playing, hasn't had a job on the business/admin side of the sport, and probably isn't the sharpest tool in the box.

Adam Crozier was with Satchi & Satchi for ten years so has some sort of relevant experience for ITV. How he got the FA or Post Office gigs is a bit of a mystery. He wasn't brilliant in either, but seems to have done pretty well in his current role.
Old 24-03-2013, 01:52
Cyclist
Forum Member

So with Greg Dyke been in charge of the FA are we to expect Alan Shearer to be the DG of the BBC.
Didnt realise broadcasting experience was a requirement for the job. Thought the DG was meant to be independent.
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 11:45
Anthony_Ryan
Forum Member

Now that Greg Dyke is the chairman of the FA I hope that it will lead to live coverage of the FA Cup Final going back to BBC TV. ITV's coverage of football is awful. I also hope that the kick off time for the final will be switched back to the traditional 3.pm start.
Anthony_Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote