Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Lord Attenborough and his wife move into care home

Old 25-03-2013, 14:13
Saltydog1955
Inactive Member

Sad news about a legendary British actor and director and the lady he's been married to for over 60 years.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...e-home-1781483
Saltydog1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 25-03-2013, 14:19
RonSwanson92
Forum Member

I don't normally comment on such as things as this but this news really saddens me. He's a brilliant actor, director and person, hopefully he gets live a peaceful life alongside his wife.
RonSwanson92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 14:20
Kiko H Fan
Forum Member

Are they in Brinsworth?
Kiko H Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 14:23
Saltydog1955
Inactive Member

Are they in Brinsworth?
I don't know as no story I've seen says where they are, only a 'home for retired entertainers'.
Old 25-03-2013, 14:25
gilliedew
Inactive Member

I really didnt care much for Richard and found him awfully pompous during the time he was working, a definate "luvvie"

However, he and his wife have suffered greatly in the tsunami tragedy losing so many loved ones, I felt so sorry for them both and now they are nearing the end of their lives, wish them a peaceful and comforting time.

They are lucky they are able to fund their care and this isnt available to all who have worked just as hard all their lives but one would wish that their final hours are kept within their family circle and not headlines in the papers.
gilliedew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 14:29
Saltydog1955
Inactive Member

I really didnt care much for Richard and found him awfully pompous during the time he was working, a definate "luvvie"

However, he and his wife have suffered greatly in the tsunami tragedy losing so many loved ones, I felt so sorry for them both and now they are nearing the end of their lives, wish them a peaceful and comforting time.

They are lucky they are able to fund their care and this isnt available to all who have worked just as hard all their lives but one would wish that their final hours are kept within their family circle and not headlines in the papers.
I think he'd give all his money to have his health and that of his wife back, and to have his daughter and granddaughter by his side.

Money means nothing in situations like theirs.
Old 25-03-2013, 15:32
dellara
Forum Member

I am someone who has become very used to care homes, having a very active mother who's relatively rapid decline eventually meant she has had to reside in one. Whilst it is sad that both Richard Attenborough and his wife are now in a care home it is also a fact of a long life that it happens. In spite of what some think they can be happy places. For a bit of perspective both he and his wife are very lucky that they still have each other. Whilst having money for care is no substitute for one's health it certainly improves the choices available later in life and should never be underestimated. My mum will never be "happy" in a home, but she is safe and warm and very fortunate to be in a place that the family haven chosen for her. Some sadly are not so lucky.
dellara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 15:47
lexi22
Inactive Member

I am someone who has become very used to care homes, having a very active mother who's relatively rapid decline eventually meant she has had to reside in one. Whilst it is sad that both Richard Attenborough and his wife are now in a care home it is also a fact of a long life that it happens. In spite of what some think they can be happy places. For a bit of perspective both he and his wife are very lucky that they still have each other. Whilst having money for care is no substitute for one's health it certainly improves the choices available later in life and should never be underestimated. My mum will never be "happy" in a home, but she is safe and warm and very fortunate to be in a place that the family haven chosen for her. Some sadly are not so lucky.
Agree, and well said. They're both 90ish, with failing health, so really, ending up in a carehome together where I'm sure they're being well looked after is hardly the worst thing that can happen.
lexi22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 15:48
neo_wales
Forum Member

His wife has been in http://www.denvillehall.org.uk/index.html for some time and his move to join her were reported some months ago.

Good luck to them both.
neo_wales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 15:54
Saltydog1955
Inactive Member

His wife has been in http://www.denvillehall.org.uk/index.html for some time and his move to join her were reported some months ago.

Good luck to them both.
Absolutely.

It looks a beautiful place.
Old 25-03-2013, 16:35
gilliedew
Inactive Member

I think he'd give all his money to have his health and that of his wife back, and to have his daughter and granddaughter by his side.

Money means nothing in situations like theirs.
Of course money means nothing when tragedy strikes but their care, will and does cost money which many older people like my neighbour who was left lying on her bathroom floor for nearly three hours waiting for a paramedic to attend her, cannot afford.

That was my point, not wishing any disrespect to Richard and his wife.
gilliedew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 17:34
Saltydog1955
Inactive Member

Of course money means nothing when tragedy strikes but their care, will and does cost money which many older people like my neighbour who was left lying on her bathroom floor for nearly three hours waiting for a paramedic to attend her, cannot afford.

That was my point, not wishing any disrespect to Richard and his wife.
That's an awful thing to happen, but that's down to ambulance cuts, not being unable to afford a care home.
Old 25-03-2013, 17:44
cazzz
Forum Member

I'm sure this was decided by them and the family.

At least they are together and in a care home for actors etc, they are very fortunate, They are luckier than most and are able to afford the fees (I don't begrudge them at all).

it also seems that they have history with the place, so are not going somewhere where they don't have a clue who anyone is... the website states:
Sir Emile Littler, Lew Grade, Prince Littler, Patrick Ide, Richard Attenborough and others contributed to the refurbishment of the Hall and the building of a new wing. This project was managed by a committee of actors, led by Sheila Sim (Lady Attenborough). Its forecast cost of 100,000 soon rose to 200,000 but fundraising was successful and the work finished by 1969
cazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2013, 16:16
googleking
Forum Member

He did a ton of fundraising for the place he is in and also CTBF's (a similar charity) care home Glebelands, so fair play to him and his wife, they more than deserve to be looked after there.
googleking is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote