Least favourite heavy metal thing

1235»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I honestly have never heard of the majority of these genres!

I think my least favourite thing about metal music is music snobbery. I listen to metal and I've been to several gigs, but because I don't listen exclusively to metal then some fans look down on me. Or, as the excellent post talking about "rumbly-pumbly squeakcore" or whatever the exact post was :D pointed out, people spend more time debating which genres are better than others instead of, for example, saying "if you like this band then you might also like ________" I just find it very tiresome.
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    Good to hear I'm not the only oldie. And yes to art rock and punk (and Led Zepp) but I listen to so many different types of music it's ridiculous.

In relation to Trash, Slayer's 'Reign in Blood' is worth a listen. Metal never really went away but there is something of a renaissance with System of a Down, Slipknot, Korn, Limp Bizkit(!?), Devin Townsend but all this sub genre nonsense has prevented a real mainstream crossover, as yet. It bugs me that the kids don't think that matters but it does.

Typo of the month :D

I can't listen to Slayer. Tom Araya's voice has the same effect on me as Dylan's, unfortunately. I've managed to get used to death growling, after some persistence but I guess I just don't like Slayer's sound enough to want to persist.

I'm not bothered about genres really. It's all metal in the end. I'm just approaching it on the basis of 'do I like what I'm hearing & is there something I can connect with?' dodger's mentioned it before - the emotional response. I'd definitely go along with that.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    Typo of the month :D

I can't listen to Slayer. Tom Araya's voice has the same effect on me as Dylan's, unfortunately. I've managed to get used to death growling, after some persistence but I guess I just don't like Slayer's sound enough to want to persist.

I'm not bothered about genres really. It's all metal in the end. I'm just approaching it on the basis of 'do I like what I'm hearing & is there something I can connect with?' dodger's mentioned it before - the emotional response. I'd definitely go along with that.

Blame my iPad! Although there probably is Trash Metal?

As others say, too many genres and not enough good bands or stand out songs. Yes, it has always been about connection.
    Forum Member
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    Blame my iPad! Although there probably is Trash Metal?

There's loads of Trash Metal. That's why we have this thread :D
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't say I like thrash metal much, nor nu-metal or rap-metal,
  • ErythroleukosErythroleukos Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah but isn't this the appeal of metal, the broad church that spans from glam metal (showing my age here) through to thrash.
    Personally i love thrash, I first bought Kreators 'Pleasure to Kill' and followed that up with Slayers 'Reign in Blood' back when I was 15. That led to Metallica, Anthrax, Megadeth, Venom, Sabbat and Sepultura before my tastes diverged to grab more genres.
    Live and let live with regards to metal I say (apart from f***ing screamo). :p
    Forum Member
    Ah but isn't this the appeal of metal, the broad church that spans from glam metal (showing my age here) through to thrash.
    Personally i love thrash, I first bought Kreators 'Pleasure to Kill' and followed that up with Slayers 'Reign in Blood' back when I was 15. That led to Metallica, Anthrax, Megadeth, Venom, Sabbat and Sepultura before my tastes diverged to grab more genres.

I think that's pretty much where I parted company with Metal - Motley Crue, Poison etc Just found them ridiculous.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Symphonic Metal :D I suppose that must include Oceansize. Do you think they know?

I suppose Precious Metal could be for bands that were just a little bit twee.

Base Metal would have to be almost like three-chord punk, only heavier.

Any cross-genre bands would have to be classified as alloys.
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thats very true, I like some glam rock, but my favourite tends to be 70's/80's metal/hard rock - Sabbath, Priest, Maiden, Rainbow, Scorpions, Accept, UFO, Scorpions etc as they're the groups I grew up with (really showing my age) and also like a lot of the German and Scandinavian groups but each to their own, like you say its a broad church and its good that we all like metal and it'd be pretty boring if we all liked the same.
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,104
    Forum Member
    Ulfgeirr wrote: »
    The notion of being the most "kvlt" or "tr00", in which as soon as a band gets any form of exposure it is not possible to like them anymore, and makes the bands "less metal".

Yep.
    Ugh the term 'selling out' should be banned from life. Deep down it just demonstrates in that person a fear of change.

The band gets some success = 'they sold out'

The band gradually grows and develops their music = 'they've lost their edge'

They release songs that aren't all screaming vocals and ear-shredding guitars = 'what a bunch of pussies'

Grrrrrr!
    They don't seem to realize that if a band remains the exact same and has no progression then they start to stagnate and will soon become irrelevant.
  • dixiewhiskeydixiewhiskey Posts: 608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep.
    Ugh the term 'selling out' should be banned from life. Deep down it just demonstrates in that person a fear of change.

The band gets some success = 'they sold out'

The band gradually grows and develops their music = 'they've lost their edge'

They release songs that aren't all screaming vocals and ear-shredding guitars = 'what a bunch of pussies'

Grrrrrr!
    They don't seem to realize that if a band remains the exact same and has no progression then they start to stagnate and will soon become irrelevant.

Whilst I understand what you're saying, I think that when bands change their style a bit or their way of playing (which they're more than entitled to do) they can lose what made you like the band in the first place.

I loved Slipknot. The first two albums are excellent. Very angry, pissed off at the world. Now they're millionnaires and can't capture that aggression that got me into them. I'd still like to see them live, but I've not heard anything by them for nearly a decade that I've really liked.
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,104
    Forum Member
    Whilst I understand what you're saying, I think that when bands change their style a bit or their way of playing (which they're more than entitled to do) they can lose what made you like the band in the first place.

I loved Slipknot. The first two albums are excellent. Very angry, pissed off at the world. Now they're millionnaires and can't capture that aggression that got me into them. I'd still like to see them live, but I've not heard anything by them for nearly a decade that I've really liked.

Funny you mention Slipknot because they were at the forefront of my mind with that post. lol

If I were to rank their albums in my own preference it would be - 3rd, 1st, 4th, 2nd.
    So I don't really have a preference which style I like better, it's just when a band keeps progressing they have that extra edge for me. Plus if they do keep changing, if you don't like what they are doing now then the good thing is you might like something they'll do after it. :D
    Bands that don't change I tend to lose interest because it feels less like a journey and more like a gimmick they are stuck in.

I think with Slipknot, rather than it being solely about success and money, they are all alot older now so if they were doing the same energetic aggression they had in their first album it may come across a bit unnatural and insincere.
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    Symphonic Metal :D I suppose that must include Oceansize. Do you think they know?

I suppose Precious Metal could be for bands that were just a little bit twee.

Base Metal would have to be almost like three-chord punk, only heavier.

Any cross-genre bands would have to be classified as alloys.

I would never call the brilliant, well they were before they split, Oceansize Symphonic Metal. They were more towards the Prog/Art Rock end of the spectrum.

I would say the closest the UK has to what the Europeans would recognise as Symphonic Metal would be the likes of Winter In Eden or Pythia.