Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Honeysuckle Weeks

Old 29-03-2013, 12:42
Loz_Fraggle
Forum Member

Well then it must have been at about 18:30 isn? like when Buffy was on?

Interesting that they decided to put it on at that point.

I did watch it, just assumed it was on during CBBC.

It was good.
Yeah, that kind of slot, or possibly slightly later, I remember at the time thinking it was strange they put it on at that time. I think they did repeat it later on an afternoon slot, but that was maybe a couple of years later or something.

You're just trying to make me feel old now!

I do remember at the time the TV critics questioned why it wasn't on Childrens Hour ( see I am old! ) but soon went quiet once it started. I knew nothing about it at first but watched because it had Alun Armstrong in it.

Bit like Adrian Mole I suppose, it could be enjoyed by all ages.
Sorry!, no I also remember remarking at the time, it was a strange slot for it. I loved the book, at the time, but I was a bit too young for it, so a lot of it went over my head. But I watched the tv adaptation because I really enjoyed the book. I preferred the book, although all the actors were great in it, the format of it lended itself to being a better book. If that makes sense, they had to change some of the setting for it to work on TV.
Loz_Fraggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 29-03-2013, 12:54
jude007
Forum Member

I've thought recent publicity shots for FW have made her look old in the face too, at least relative to her age. Sometimes, unfortunately, inherited genes aren't kind, and there's little you can do about how 'old' you look if that is the case. But I believe Honeysuckle Weeks might smoke too in real life which really does put years on a woman - some more than others, obviously, but if you're also battling family genes which 'age' you more quickly you really don't want to be making it worse with something unnecessary!
I think I remember reading a interview a couple of yrs back and I am almost sure she said that she was a chain smoker. If this is the age, it would of course age her
jude007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2013, 13:49
Flanno
Forum Member

I remember first seeing Honeysuckle Weeks in the TV adaption of Ruth Rendell's thriller 'The Strawberry Tree'. She played the younger Petra whose teenage brother goes missing along with his Spanish girlfriend while she & her family spend their summer holiday in Spain until years later they turn up alive after everyone including Petra believed them to be dead.
Flanno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2013, 14:56
Saltydog1955
Inactive Member

I've thought recent publicity shots for FW have made her look old in the face too, at least relative to her age. Sometimes, unfortunately, inherited genes aren't kind, and there's little you can do about how 'old' you look if that is the case. But I believe Honeysuckle Weeks might smoke too in real life which really does put years on a woman - some more than others, obviously, but if you're also battling family genes which 'age' you more quickly you really don't want to be making it worse with something unnecessary!
Yes, I thought that as well.

When the last series was on three years ago, she was much fuller in the face, so perhaps weight loss or as you say JP, smoking, has made her look older.
Saltydog1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2013, 17:19
jerseyporter
Forum Member

Yes, I thought that as well.

When the last series was on three years ago, she was much fuller in the face, so perhaps weight loss or as you say JP, smoking, has made her look older.
Possibly a mixture (trying, like you, to be fair and see this from all sides/possibilities) but the way smoking ages skin is shocking and is surely the habit easiest avoided to 'be on the safe side'? I know genes have a lot to do with it - my Mum looks at least 15 years younger than her 75 years, her Dad looked about 75 when he died at 93, and apparently (other people's opinion, not mine!) I look far younger than my 45 years... but at the same time none of us are/were smokers, and I think it does have an impact on how the skin ages, no matter what the defenders of the habit might say! It is a shame if Honeysuckle feels the pressure to stay slim and has gone down the smoking route as part of that, but maybe she genuine just enjoys being a walking ash tray if the chain smoking aspect is true?
jerseyporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2013, 17:32
Saltydog1955
Inactive Member

Possibly a mixture (trying, like you, to be fair and see this from all sides/possibilities) but the way smoking ages skin is shocking and is surely the habit easiest avoided to 'be on the safe side'? I know genes have a lot to do with it - my Mum looks at least 15 years younger than her 75 years, her Dad looked about 75 when he died at 93, and apparently (other people's opinion, not mine!) I look far younger than my 45 years... but at the same time none of us are/were smokers, and I think it does have an impact on how the skin ages, no matter what the defenders of the habit might say! It is a shame if Honeysuckle feels the pressure to stay slim and has gone down the smoking route as part of that, but maybe she genuine just enjoys being a walking ash tray if the chain smoking aspect is true?
I've got pretty good genes in the family too. my daughter's 38, and looks younger than HW, my son's 33 and looks 10 years younger. OH and I are 68 and 57 respectively and nobody believes us when we say how old we are.
My mum smoked, but still looked facially quite young, but on the other hand, my dad looked his age.

It's all well and good saying she hasn't gone down the Hollywood route of botox etc, but I doubt she's the type to do that anyway. If she wants to stay natural, then good for her. However, IMO she isn't aging well, and looks quite haggard.
Saltydog1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2013, 00:44
DavetheScot
Forum Member

I remember her first in the wild house, I think she was the man character's older sister.
She was the elder teenage daughter; her brother was very much a kid rather than a man!

I remember her appearing in Barbara Vine's A Dark Adapted Eye as the younger self of Helena Bonham Carter; seriously odd casting as the two actresses look nothing remotely like each other.
DavetheScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2013, 10:10
violetcrawley
Forum Member

It was on at 9pm and Lesley Mandeville was in it.
violetcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2013, 12:38
dodrade
Forum Member

She was the elder teenage daughter; her brother was very much a kid rather than a man
Sorry for the spelling mistake I meant main character, not man character.
dodrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2013, 14:37
milliejo
Forum Member

Her brother and sister were in Google-Eyes too.
milliejo is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2013, 03:56
DavetheScot
Forum Member

Sorry for the spelling mistake I meant main character, not man character.
Ah, I get you now!
DavetheScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2013, 11:15
Loz_Fraggle
Forum Member

That would explain it, I didn't think my bedtime would be 6:30 in the evening!
Loz_Fraggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2013, 12:57
M@nterik
Forum Member

What a shame that some have to dismiss a woman for not going down the plastic route and just ageing naturally!

She is very beautiful and I love her voice. I was just trying to remember what she was in when she was quite young that I used to watch...off to google because my memory obviously doesn't stretch that far through the mists of time.
I agree wholeheartedly.
M@nterik is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2013, 13:01
dorydaryl
Forum Member

No it's her real name, her middle name is Susan
I don't know why but I find that incredibly funny, although there's nothing wrong or unlikeable about the name 'Susan'. It just seems incongruous with something like 'Honeysuckle'.
dorydaryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2013, 13:46
gilesb
Forum Member

Wow, really?? That just messes with my childhood memory of the show! 9pm, incredible that it was done as a serious prime time show. That is like Tracey Beaker being on at 9pm now
gilesb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2013, 13:55
Pink Knight
Forum Member

Anyone seen the mess of a film called The Wicker Tree.
I thought it was ok as I am very accepting of horror films, but Honeysuckle Weeks has a fairly prominent role in that.
Pink Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 14:37
cinnamon girl
Forum Member

I don't know why but I find that incredibly funny, although there's nothing wrong or unlikeable about the name 'Susan'. It just seems incongruous with something like 'Honeysuckle'.
I chuckled too
cinnamon girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 15:44
Black Sky
Forum Member

I remember her way back from The Wild House. Her name has always made me laugh but she's a good actress.
Black Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 15:56
Lenitive
Forum Member

My seven-year-old self was devoted to her in The Wild House. I'm a bit more in love with her brother these days, but they are a gorgeous family all round!
Lenitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 22:44
gemma-the-husky
Forum Member

What a shame that some have to dismiss a woman for not going down the plastic route and just ageing naturally!

She is very beautiful and I love her voice. I was just trying to remember what she was in when she was quite young that I used to watch...off to google because my memory obviously doesn't stretch that far through the mists of time.
she was in one of the catherine cookson made for TV films.
gemma-the-husky is offline   Reply With Quote