Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Depeche Mode

Old 25-03-2013, 06:02
H.T888
Forum Member

Have to admit huge fan of early stuff but my enthusiasm has waned. Few faves are
Dreaming of me
Just can't get enough
Photographic
Behind the wheel
World in my Eyes
Question of lust
Precious
Wrong
H.T888 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 25-03-2013, 06:32
RetroMusicFan
Forum Member

Have to admit huge fan of early stuff but my enthusiasm has waned. Few faves are
Dreaming of me
Just can't get enough
Photographic
Behind the wheel
World in my Eyes
Question of lust
Precious
Wrong
Ah, World In My Eyes is my absolute fave song of theirs, hoping to grab a copy of the new album later today.
RetroMusicFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 18:03
Miasima Goria
Forum Member

Am listening to it at the mo - sounds like they are channeling some of the 80's sound, a bit of old school Industrial and a lot of Dave.

Cracking stuff
Miasima Goria is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 19:22
lil lexie
Forum Member

I thought I'd start with the bonus disc which I'm on at the moment. The first 2 tracks are great but Always, well, it's not a patch on Erasure's Always, nor Pet Shop Boys' Always nor Bon Jovi's Always come to think of it.

'the food is hot and the tables ready
but my stomachs not, make my hands unsteady'

wow, nearly as poetic as 'hey, you're such a pretty boy'
lil lexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 20:35
cody jarrett
Forum Member

Mode are on Jonathan Ross this coming Saturday night including a short chat with the band.
cody jarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 09:49
willowfan
Forum Member

Some of the tracks will take a few plays to "get" I think, standout track for me is "Alone" right up there with "Clean" which is my alltime DM favourite.
willowfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 12:13
brunolover
Forum Member

I think it has a strong start and end but there are a few weak tracks in the middle which let it down. Not a fan (yet) of Slow, Universe or Child.
Still, better than most albums around and does contain a few classics.
brunolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 16:10
rammsteinqueen
Forum Member

Not heard the album going to check it out shortly..

I love Depeche Mode - I think they're real talent. Dave's voice is fantastic. Only seen them once live though.. back on Violator tour when I was just a young girl... ahh, happy times
rammsteinqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2013, 08:27
lil lexie
Forum Member

It's got a very 70's vibe to it, I got whiffs of Moody Blues, glam- rock and even a spot of prog-rock but they use these references sparingly to embellish that familiar DM sound and it works rather well. It also reminded me a bit of Goldfrapp's Supernature album.

As a whole, it's a bit hit and miss but the hits definitely outweigh the misses and Gahan never sounded so good.
Old 27-03-2013, 16:27
Josh Pinder
Forum Member

I do love Depeche Mode...i dont any album after Exciter....but i am tempted by Delta Machine...must give a listen to it
Josh Pinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2013, 08:14
brunolover
Forum Member

An album that definitely benefits from repeat listening. Thought it was good on 1st listen but has just got better and better since. Definitely up there with their finest. Don't think there is a duff track on there now. 9 out of 10. Worth checking out.
brunolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2013, 10:28
dumpty2
Forum Member

An album that definitely benefits from repeat listening. Thought it was good on 1st listen but has just got better and better since. Definitely up there with their finest. Don't think there is a duff track on there now. 9 out of 10. Worth checking out.
+1
dumpty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2013, 10:30
willowfan
Forum Member

Still not wildly keen on "My Little Universe" but loving the album as a whole now more and more. Still think "Alone" is the best track.
Old 31-03-2013, 02:03
Aarghawasp!
Forum Member

Love the Mode. Thing is , the darker they got, the more I loved them!

Although it did coincide with Dave's troubles.
Agreed.
Aarghawasp! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:51
willowfan
Forum Member

Also Martin's troubles. He's recently admitted to being a chronic alcoholic. Not to mention Fletch's issues.

All in all quite a dysfunctional group

"My Little Universe" is growing on me now, it's funny how certain songs only click after several plays.
Old 02-04-2013, 13:07
lil lexie
Forum Member

I couldn't get to sleep the other night for having My Little Universe buzzing around in my head.......how the f#ck is that possible when it isn't even remotely catchy? Ask to to hum it now and I wouldn't have a clue

The only DM songs I'm loving at the moment are Should Be Higher and Soothe My Soul.
Old 02-04-2013, 18:00
super-saint
Forum Member

Managed to get to see DM live at ITV studios on the Jonathan Ross show lasy Thursday ..... they played Heaven, which was shown, but also played ETS they failed to make the cut DM were interviewed for about 45 mins but again only 10 mins or so made the cut.

Cant wait for the O2 in May
super-saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:00
Ian Aberdon
Forum Member

Bought it (CD!) & listened to it the other day. Think I'll need to give it a couple of more listens....typical Mode!
Ian Aberdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 20:27
TOSSerr
Forum Member

I think it's a fantastic album. The best since Ultra IMO. The only tracks I'm not 100% sure about are Slow and Soft Touch. Daves 3 songs are brilliant.
TOSSerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 20:39
Jon Ross
Forum Member

[LIST][*]Best British group by a mile[*]Best live band by a mile[*]Criminally unrecognised for their achievements for over 30 years[/LIST]That is all
Never heard of Hawkwind?
Jon Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:25
dodrade
Forum Member

I like the new album but Heaven was a poor choice for first single, whereas the last album was a disappointment but had one great song in wrong as first single.
dodrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 15:29
ItsNick
Forum Member

I love Depeche Mode but when I heard their new single on the Jonathan Ross show I didn't think it was that great
compared to stuff like Personal Jesus, Shake The Disease, New Life or Master and Servant.
I think in 20/30 years time this song won't be as well remembered as the songs I've mentioned.
ItsNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 22:58
SpecialClub
Forum Member

DM's latest single is unusually weak. It makes scant difference here though, for unlike the rest of Europe we have a music industry that is built around performers between the ages of 14 and 27. Aside from the occasional exception, after that they're deemed over the hill.
SpecialClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 23:46
Jon Ross
Forum Member

But that's not fact, it's just your opinion!
He didn't say it was fact did he? The OP was not stating facts either, just opinions. There are no facts about what is good in music, only opinions.
Old 07-04-2013, 23:52
Jon Ross
Forum Member

Managed to get to see DM live at ITV studios on the Jonathan Ross show lasy Thursday ..... they played Heaven, which was shown, but also played ETS they failed to make the cut DM were interviewed for about 45 mins but again only 10 mins or so made the cut.

Cant wait for the O2 in May
I'm quite surprised DM were considered cool enough to get on Wossy. I think he's always ignored them previously.