Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Jim Carrey incurring the wrath from Gun owners

Old 25-03-2013, 15:06
spookyLX
Forum Member

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...Dead-Hand.html

Not sure what to make of this tbh not sure if he really feels this way or has a new film on the way out .

Tho one thing for sure is Jim stopped being funny along time ago

here is the song , not great but the comments underneath are quite amusing as they all seem to be pro Gun etc
http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/043...eatured_videos
spookyLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 25-03-2013, 17:04
downtonfan
Forum Member

Gun owners will not listen to reason. They slate Gabrielle Giffords for starting a pac which calls for background checks. Is that not a sensible solution to criminals getting their hands on guns?
downtonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 17:11
Saltydog1955
Inactive Member

This is more relevant to the anti gun argument than Carrey's stupid song. If Heston hadn't been dead 5 years it might have added something to the debate but now?

Meh.
Saltydog1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 17:12
TVGirl319
Inactive Member

He tried to get on his political "High Horse" a few years ago, when he was dating model and actress Jenny McCarthy!! Her son, Evan, was diagnosed with autism, and in her airy fairy mind she linked it to infant vaccines and a gluten diet. Anyway, her and Jim started campaigning for cleaner, safer infant vaccines free of additives, etc. and they took their cause to talk shows, medical shows, appearances on Oprah, Larry King Live on CNN and even to Congress and the White House!! Started online petitions and protests outside pharmacies, pharmacuetical companies, etc. But it was all to no avail, as prominent expert researchers could find no substantiated evidence to link infant vaccines to autism!!

Jim Carrey is a dopehead who wouldnt know how to be serious on certain subjects if it slapped him up the ass!!
TVGirl319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 17:26
gold2040
Forum Member

From what I gathered from the comments Jim pays armed security guards to protect his home nad tweeted that he has a armed cop (probably retired) as his bodyguard so if that's the case then he truly has egg on his face
gold2040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 13:40
Residents Fan
Forum Member

From what I gathered from the comments Jim pays armed security guards to protect his home nad tweeted that he has a armed cop (probably retired) as his bodyguard so if that's the case then he truly has egg on his face
I don't see any contradiction about Carrey having armed security guards and being anti-NRA.
Security guards have guns in a law-enforcement capacity, and they've been psychologically checked so they won't go off on crazy gun rampages.

It's different from people taking issue with the fact the NRA wants to give US civilians access to the sort of firepower other First World nations restrict to the Military.
Residents Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 19:05
AliU2maniac
Forum Member

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...,d.d2k&cad=rja

Aren't guns illegal in Chicago? Don't potential gun owners not go through background checks? Isn't it illegal for youngsters to own guns in Chicago? Isn't Chicago supposed to be safe now because of strict gun laws? Why isn't Jim Carrey and other Hollywood hypocrites angry about this or do they not care about black on black crime?

It's different from people taking issue with the fact the NRA wants to give US civilians access to the sort of firepower other First World nations restrict to the Military
Wrong.The NRA want law abiding American citizens to be able to exercise their God-given right to bear arms as is stated in the 2nd Amendment.Civilians should not have their rights restricted while criminals BREAK THE LAW to obtain more powerful weapons off the black market.

Security guards have guns in a law-enforcement capacity, and they've been psychologically checked so they won't go off on crazy gun rampages
Really? They never will because they're security guards? Cops are checked, too, right? Christopher Dorner, remember him
AliU2maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 19:13
theonlyweeman
Forum Member

Edit: Deleted. It's not a good idea to get political on here...
theonlyweeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:22
mickmars
Forum Member

It was better in the old days when celebs said nothing about political matters.
Being able to pull funny faces does not mean you are an expert in anything,except pulling funny faces
mickmars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 13:39
downtonfan
Forum Member

It was better in the old days when nutters couldn't get hold of high capacity assault weapons to blow away innocent people.
downtonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 14:00
Grace In Love
Forum Member

The NRA are a bunch of nutters
Grace In Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 19:42
Residents Fan
Forum Member

.The NRA want law abiding American citizens to be able to exercise their God-given right to bear arms as is stated in the 2nd Amendment.
So God wrote the US Constitution now?
Old 03-04-2013, 08:26
TVGirl319
Inactive Member

The NRA are a bunch of nutters
One of their main kingpin leaders happens to be veteran '70s rocker, Ted Nugent(He was a member of a band called Amboy Dukes as well as he had a couple of albums out, one being called Cat Scratch Fever). Hes as criminally insane as the rest of them!! He took over the NRA from where Charlton Heston left off when he died!!

Coincidently, in the wake of the Newtown school shootings and his rants on freedom to bare arms and spouting off his rights as a free American citizen he had an outdoorsy, weapons type show, which was aired on one of the Discovery or Nat Geo channels, of his recently cancelled in the USA!!
TVGirl319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:55
spubbbba
Forum Member

The song itself was pretty lame and not very clever.

But the massive over reaction by pro gun advocates in the Republican party and on Fox News has been hilarious. They should have just ignored Jim as all they’ve done is give him and the website loads of free publicity.
spubbbba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:06
theonlyweeman
Forum Member

So God wrote the US Constitution now?
As a Christian, I'd love to know how God can be anti-violence and pro-gun, but I doubt I'll get an explanation, they seem to think shouting loudly (but saying nothing) is good enough to win the "debate".
Old 03-04-2013, 12:08
sammyvine
Inactive Member

Can someone tell me why American people need to own large capacity magazine and assault weapons like the sandy hook gunman used?
sammyvine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:14
Miriam_R
Forum Member

I think Jim is very brave for doing this, especially in a country where owning a gun is as normal as owning a car (as my dad's friend said when he was living there for a period).
Miriam_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:18
theonlyweeman
Forum Member

Can someone tell me why American people need to own large capacity magazine and assault weapons like the sandy hook gunman used?
"the only way to stop a bad with a gun, is a good guy with a gun"

(Actual quote from Wayne LaPierre, head of the NRA)
Old 03-04-2013, 12:47
Residents Fan
Forum Member

One of their main kingpin leaders happens to be veteran '70s rocker, Ted Nugent(He was a member of a band called Amboy Dukes as well as he had a couple of albums out, one being called Cat Scratch Fever). Hes as criminally insane as the rest of them!! He took over the NRA from where Charlton Heston left off when he died!!

Coincidently, in the wake of the Newtown school shootings and his rants on freedom to bare arms and spouting off his rights as a free American citizen he had an outdoorsy, weapons type show, which was aired on one of the Discovery or Nat Geo channels, of his recently cancelled in the USA!!
Yes. In an alarming example of the political authoritarianism
of the extreme right in America, Nugent also stated:

"If it was up to me, if you uttered the word 'gun control,' we'd put you in jail."
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7402SL20110501
Old 03-04-2013, 15:11
theonlyweeman
Forum Member

Yes. In an alarming example of the political authoritarianism
of the extreme right in America, Nugent also stated:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7402SL20110501
I think the line afterwards was better....

"Does anybody not know that the most dangerous place in the world is a gun-free zone?"
Old 03-04-2013, 23:07
summertime09
Forum Member

Great point!! and I might add, so do most "Hollyweird" hypocrites!! Michael Moores bodyguard was arrested with an unlicensed firearm at an airport, you just couldn't make it up!!! I would have a tad respect for these hypocrites if they would look to their own industry as playing a part in the issue!!!
summertime09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 19:05
theonlyweeman
Forum Member

Great point!! and I might add, so do most "Hollyweird" hypocrites!! Michael Moores bodyguard was arrested with an unlicensed firearm at an airport, you just couldn't make it up!!! I would have a tad respect for these hypocrites if they would look to their own industry as playing a part in the issue!!!
Canda gets exactly the same media as the US it has a homicide by firearm rater per 100, 00 pop" of 0.51 (56th highest), the US has a rate of 2.97 (28th highest). The difference, the US has 88.8 guns per 100 people, Canada has 30.8 per 100 people.

Canada has exactly the same media, but significantly less murders. Media is not the primary factor, infact given the amount of media crossover between the US and Canada I'd be tempted to suggest it's not even a factor.

Figures taken from this article on the Guaurdian website: http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datab...hip-world-list
Old 04-04-2013, 19:20
Saltydog1955
Inactive Member

Canda gets exactly the same media as the US it has a homicide by firearm rater per 100, 00 pop" of 0.51 (56th highest), the US has a rate of 2.97 (28th highest). The difference, the US has 88.8 guns per 100 people, Canada has 30.8 per 100 people.

Canada has exactly the same media, but significantly less murders. Media is not the primary factor, infact given the amount of media crossover between the US and Canada I'd be tempted to suggest it's not even a factor.

Figures taken from this article on the Guaurdian website: http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datab...hip-world-list
.....and possibly because Canada doesn't have a constitution that witters on about the public's right to bear arms. Yes, the people of the US might have the right to bear arms, but that shouldn't mean assault rifles, machine guns, AK47's, Uzis, grenades galore, 1000s of rounds of ammo.....like that lunatic mother of the Sandy Hook killer.
Saltydog1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 22:16
summertime09
Forum Member

My point was really that I would think in the whole debate nothing should be off the table, the effect violent films, games and music have on certain individuals. I would be very interested to know HOW can two teenagers be so desensitised that they can shoot a baby in the face!!! something is very wrong. How people with mental health issues are treated (or NOT) is also a major part of the problem.
summertime09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 23:13
theonlyweeman
Forum Member

My point was really that I would think in the whole debate nothing should be off the table, the effect violent films, games and music have on certain individuals. I would be very interested to know HOW can two teenagers be so desensitised that they can shoot a baby in the face!!! something is very wrong. How people with mental health issues are treated (or NOT) is also a major part of the problem.
My point was that whilst media and glorification of violence was a factor to be considered, the NRA's position that everything is the fault of Hollywood and mental illness is wrong.

Another factor that should be looked at is access to inappropriate material, in the UK content can be banned from distribution or restricted, whereas the constitution prevents that from happening in the US, so anybody can access anything. (Though obviously that might involve some twisting of the constitution, which Americans hate.)

I'd also like to know why, if the NRA blames mental health issues for mass murders, they won't accept gun licenses or mental health checks on people that try to buy firearms. I'd have thought reducing the number of mentally ill people with guns would work in their favour...