Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

I cannot STAND Alexander Armstrong

Old 04-04-2013, 23:20
jackbell
Forum Member

I like Alexander and Richard and the chemistry is spot on between them. It wouldn't be the same with anyone else. It's the best quiz show on TV and I'm surprised it's never won loads of awards.

But I really want to see a Pointless/Eggheads special. CJ has already been on, now I'd like to see the others have a go.
jackbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 04-04-2013, 23:30
jabegy
Forum Member

I understand how the op feels, because I personally can't stand Noel Edmonds and DOND, which I have to watch once a week when I'm round at my sisters (well, I don't actually watch, I pick that time to do my crossword!) because they love it. But I wouldn't dream of having it on in my own house, I'd sooner stick pins in my eyes.

As for Alexander Armstrong, he's one of the highlights of my day and Pointless is one of my favourite programmes.

So if you don't like him op, watch something else.
jabegy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 23:32
sheila blige
Forum Member

I understand how the op feels, because I personally can't stand Noel Edmonds and DOND, which I have to watch once a week when I'm round at my sisters (well, I don't actually watch, I pick that time to do my crossword!) because they love it. But I wouldn't dream of having it on in my own house, I'd sooner stick pins in my eyes.

As for Alexander Armstrong, he's one of the highlights of my day and Pointless is one of my favourite programmes.

So if you don't like him op, watch something else.
As much as Alexander may get on my nerves - please, please do not put him in the same category as Edmonds!
sheila blige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 23:36
chloeb
Forum Member

I love Pointless (my niece has the boardgame and its good value for money at family get-togethers) however - even I have to admit - I'm beginning to get tired of Alexander. I loved him on the Armstrong & Miller Show and I liked him at the beginning of Pointless - but he really is doing the whole thing by rote and isn't bringing anything new to the table. His bits are totally boring (whilst I find Richard constantly entertaining and witty). I know that he is tied by constraints - but compare him to Bradley Walsh on The Chase - also bound by certain constraints and yet makes each and every show come across as fresh - he seems to have some personal input. I tire of Alexander's face when he KNOWS a contestant has got an incorrect answer and yet says 'lets see if its right' whilst looking at the camera in a smugger than smug way. You know when a contestant has got an answer wrong on The Chase (before the answer comes up) by the look on Bradley's face - but he doesn't do it in a smug way.

Anyway - I still like the show - but I think its largely down to the format and Richard Osman.
You're right...although I like him he's in danger of turning into a parody of himself
chloeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 00:00
Kapellmeister
Forum Member

I tire of Alexander's face when he KNOWS a contestant has got an incorrect answer and yet says 'lets see if its right' whilst looking at the camera in a smugger than smug way.
So true. Are we supposed to think 'Oh look, Alexander (sorry) 'Xander' knows the contestant is wrong. Isn't he clever'. And I can't abide the way Osman has to ask him if he knows the answers. He is unbelievably smug when he does.

Richard Osman is witty and amusing. Armstrong isn't. Osman could easily manage to show on his own and just interact with the contestants.
Kapellmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 00:05
sheila blige
Forum Member

Richard Osman is witty and amusing. Armstrong isn't. Osman could easily manage to show on his own and just interact with the contestants.
The BBC could save themselves a shitload of money by just having Richard do the show. I mean - why the hell does a show need TWO hosts!
Old 05-04-2013, 00:13
Saltydog1955
Inactive Member

So true. Are we supposed to think 'Oh look, Alexander (sorry) 'Xander' knows the contestant is wrong. Isn't he clever'. And I can't abide the way Osman has to ask him if he knows the answers. He is unbelievably smug when he does.

Perhaps you could tell us what you actually like about this programme?

What's the point in watching if AA gets your b/p up?
Saltydog1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 00:16
sheila blige
Forum Member

You can still like a show whilst at the same time disliking the host!
Old 05-04-2013, 00:19
lea_uk
Forum Member

Do you never feel smug when you get something correct?
lea_uk is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 00:22
diamond1
Forum Member

The BBC could save themselves a shitload of money by just having Richard do the show. I mean - why the hell does a show need TWO hosts!
I love the banter between Alexander and Richard .. for me it wouldn't work as well without either of them
diamond1 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 00:24
sheila blige
Forum Member

I love the banter between Alexander and Richard .. for me it wouldn't work as well without either of them
I agree - in a way it takes two to tango! But - why can't AA be a bit more honest (and less scripted) as Bradley manages to be on The Chase?
Old 05-04-2013, 00:31
Phoenix Lazarus
Forum Member

Kappers likes getting hot under the collar. Just see the thread on Richy-poos the Third's burial!
Phoenix Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:04
LolaSvelt
Forum Member

I didn't think it was possible for someone to dislike him.
LolaSvelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:10
Akka
Forum Member

His smug, sneering, self-satisfied face makes watching 'Pointless' unbearable.

quite clearly you cant watch pointless or you would know that he gets bullied consistently by Richard contestants and probably audience members

i mean Richard wouldn't even befreind him !! what a git :'(
Akka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:27
Saltydog1955
Inactive Member

You can still like a show whilst at the same time disliking the host!
If some actor or host drives me mad, I just don't watch the programme. I like the format of 9 Out of 10 Cats, but hate Jimmy Carr, so I don't put it on. To watch a show that drives you mad is mad in itself....

Kappers likes getting hot under the collar. Just see the thread on Richy-poos the Third's burial!
Yes, I've seen it PL. He certainly does doesn't he?
'Stinking Leicester' ?
Old 05-04-2013, 08:46
Sandra Bee
Forum Member

I didn't think it was possible for someone to dislike him.
Me neither.

I've liked him ever since I saw him in that (can't remember the name) drama with Caroline Quentin. He played her erring husband but still made the character likeable.
Sandra Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:33
Cake Or Death
Forum Member

Aw, I like him. I can see how he could possibly come across as smug though.
I absolutely loved the recurring Armstrong & Miller sketch where he played an alcoholic detective who had an imaginary friend (a train-driver called 'Chuffy'?) Brilliantly surreal.
Cake Or Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:40
gilliedew
Inactive Member

I seriously detest him and his mates in their unfunny sketches, series and stand ups. His adverts are cringy and aired to death, I like him as much as I like the Go Compare bloke, zilch.
gilliedew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:01
scone
Forum Member

Is it because of this why you dislike him too? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np4UztksdwU
scone is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:29
Kapellmeister
Forum Member

I seriously detest him and his mates in their unfunny sketches, series and stand ups. His adverts are cringy and aired to death, I like him as much as I like the Go Compare bloke, zilch.
I'm glad someone else agrees with me.

I think it's his overbearing, sneering smugness that I despise the most. Horrible. At least Osman convincingly comes across as sincere. Armstrong is so transparently fake when pretending to be interested in the contestants.
Old 05-04-2013, 13:00
lexi22
Inactive Member

I love Pointless (my niece has the boardgame and its good value for money at family get-togethers) however - even I have to admit - I'm beginning to get tired of Alexander. I loved him on the Armstrong & Miller Show and I liked him at the beginning of Pointless - but he really is doing the whole thing by rote and isn't bringing anything new to the table. His bits are totally boring (whilst I find Richard constantly entertaining and witty). I know that he is tied by constraints - but compare him to Bradley Walsh on The Chase - also bound by certain constraints and yet makes each and every show come across as fresh - he seems to have some personal input. I tire of Alexander's face when he KNOWS a contestant has got an incorrect answer and yet says 'lets see if its right' whilst looking at the camera in a smugger than smug way. You know when a contestant has got an answer wrong on The Chase (before the answer comes up) by the look on Bradley's face - but he doesn't do it in a smug way.

Anyway - I still like the show - but I think its largely down to the format and Richard Osman.
Agree. I think he's a really odd choice for the show and comes across almost as if he feels it's all beneath him. I liked his comedy stuff but Ben Miller has the real comedy chops in that duo. Also, re Bradley Walsh, he's very underrated. A natural! And so effortlessly warm and funny. I'm surprised he doesn't get more tv work. (or maybe he does and I'm just not aware of it?)
lexi22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 13:05
sheila blige
Forum Member

If some actor or host drives me mad, I just don't watch the programme. I like the format of 9 Out of 10 Cats, but hate Jimmy Carr, so I don't put it on. To watch a show that drives you mad is mad in itself....
Did anyone say it was the show that drove them mad? Did they? I don't think they did! I like the format of the show and this is why I watch it. I can't stand Jimmy Carr much either - but I'd watch 8 Out of 10 Cats because I love Sean Lock and Jon Richardson.
Old 05-04-2013, 13:11
Kapellmeister
Forum Member

Did anyone say it was the show that drove them mad? Did they? I don't think they did! I like the format of the show and this is why I watch it. I can't stand Jimmy Carr much either - but I'd watch 8 Out of 10 Cats because I love Sean Lock and Jon Richardson.
Same with me. It's why I pause it for 15 minutes and then forward through all of Armstrong's drivel.
Old 05-04-2013, 13:12
Saltydog1955
Inactive Member

Same with me. It's why I pause it for 15 minutes and then forward through all of Armstrong's drivel.
What do you do for the other 30 minutes then?
Old 05-04-2013, 13:37
Sandra Bee
Forum Member

Is it because of this why you dislike him too? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np4UztksdwU
Isn't he taking the pee out of all those pretentious male perfume ads tho'
Sandra Bee is offline   Reply With Quote