Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

What are you reading at the moment? (Part 4)

Old 05-04-2013, 18:46
Meanbugger
Forum Member

I am currently reading The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte. I started to read it after watching the Sheila Hancock programme about the Bronte's. I thought it would be a bit of a hard read but I have been pleasantly surprised and I am totally hooked.
Meanbugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 05-04-2013, 19:04
dymafi
Forum Member

Finished Jack London's Call of the Wild ... works on several levels ..3 out of 5
dymafi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 20:53
Pea1
Forum Member

I really enjoyed Sheila Hancock's programme about the Brontes.
Pea1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 20:57
Pea1
Forum Member

I've just started Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.
Pea1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 21:37
hornbeam
Forum Member

Snowdrops - A D Miller
hornbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 22:19
Nellie1000
Forum Member

I've just started Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.
Im reading this too. Im only about 6 chapters in but finding it really hard going. Think it must be just me as everyone else seemed to love it going by the reviews. I'll stick with it and hope it improves.
Nellie1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:31
Suzywong 63
Forum Member

Im reading this too. Im only about 6 chapters in but finding it really hard going. Think it must be just me as everyone else seemed to love it going by the reviews. I'll stick with it and hope it improves.
No its not just you it's me as well,i have tried twice thinking that I may not have been in the right frame of mind the first time,but no,second time was just as bad and have given up.
Suzywong 63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:56
Nellie1000
Forum Member

No its not just you it's me as well,i have tried twice thinking that I may not have been in the right frame of mind the first time,but no,second time was just as bad and have given up.
That doesn't bode well for me then. Now I know someone else struggled with it I might not carry on with it too much longer. Don't like giving up on books but might find it better to move on to something else.
Nellie1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:40
clm2071
Forum Member

Serpent - Clive Cussler

Finished all his Dirk Pitt books so onto the Kurt Austin series for my next dose of guilty pleasutes.
clm2071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:37
KitKat21
Forum Member

Mo Hayder - Poppet.

Excellent so far, although quite disturbing in places!
KitKat21 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:34
Beautiful_Harv
Forum Member

Peter Robinson- Watching the Dark
Beautiful_Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:00
the_lostprophet
Forum Member

Assassin's Apprentice - Robin Hobb. I seem to be getting more into fantasy recently - haven't read a lot of it in the past. It took about 100 pages for me to get into this book - and for that time I was wondering why everyone said it was so good - but enjoying it now.
the_lostprophet is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 16:35
Wash
Forum Member

I don't read books generally but I've just started reading Game of Thrones, which is awesome.
Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 21:03
AnitaS
Forum Member

Mo Hayder - Poppet.

Excellent so far, although quite disturbing in places!
I love Mo Hayder! I shall get this one now.
AnitaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 21:11
angiebroch
Forum Member

Yesterday, I started reading What the Nanny Saw, by Fiona Neill. I managed about 80 pages before realising all the characters were unlikeable and unengaging, and that I couldn't give a toss what happened next!!!! So it went to a charity shop today. It's very rare that I give up on a book but that one is absolute shite.

Today, have started on The Kingmaker's Daughter by Philippa Gregory. Wanted to get The Red Queen by P.G. 1st of all, but am desperate for some mental stimulation!!! )
angiebroch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 23:23
Yvie123
Forum Member

I really enjoyed Sheila Hancock's programme about the Brontes.
I did too; it's inspired me to read Jane Eyre again, actually.
I read it as part of my A Level English Lit syllabus, and remember it as being full of melancholy and despair and really not enjoyable at all - added to this the fact that our English Teacher was incredibly disparaging about it, I've just never "got" the love that others I know have for it (although I do love Wuthering Heights, and most people I know don't like it).
Anyway, on second reading, it's really drawing me in this time around - funny how sometimes you take a fresh look at something and see it in a completely new light.
Yvie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:46
Parthenon
Forum Member

Have recently got into Peter James and I'm currently 200 pages into Alchemist. I'm liking the blend of thriller and occult horror themes so far. I can see I'm going to get my money's worth with nearly 500 pages to go!
Parthenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:54
Gurgles
Forum Member

I've just started reading 'Banished' by Lauren Drain. Lauren became a member of Westboro Baptist 'Church' (the Kansas based 'Christian' hate group featured on Louis Theroux's documentary) after her father, a documentary maker, was making a docu about them and then converted to their teachings. Lauren was excommunicated by them and cut off from her entire family. She has now built a fulfilling life for herself in the outside world. The book is really interesting so far.
Gurgles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:31
GiraffeGirl
Forum Member

Yesterday, I started reading What the Nanny Saw, by Fiona Neill. I managed about 80 pages before realising all the characters were unlikeable and unengaging, and that I couldn't give a toss what happened next!!!! So it went to a charity shop today. It's very rare that I give up on a book but that one is absolute shite.
I read that one last year. This is what I said about it at the time: 'chick lit dressed up as something more high-brow. It was readable but I disliked nearly all the characters, even the heroine. They were very broadly drawn'

So you definitely missed nothing.
GiraffeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:33
GiraffeGirl
Forum Member

I am currently reading The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte. I started to read it after watching the Sheila Hancock programme about the Bronte's. I thought it would be a bit of a hard read but I have been pleasantly surprised and I am totally hooked.
I loved The Tenant of Wildfell Hall. So jealous of you reading it for the first time.

On the subject of The Brontes, Sheila Hancock's programme was really enjoyable. Wuthering Heights is still my favourite book ever.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:34
GiraffeGirl
Forum Member

Currently reading A Perfectly Good Man by Patrick Gale. I'm 150 pages in - I'm not entirely sure where the plot is going at the moment.
Old 07-04-2013, 13:29
GirlfromEireann
Forum Member

Was away for a few days and absolutely devoured 'Next of Kin' by John Boyne

I loved it.

It only got 3 stars on Amazon which usually means I'll adore it
GirlfromEireann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 15:09
Sue_C
Forum Member

Currently reading A Perfectly Good Man by Patrick Gale. I'm 150 pages in - I'm not entirely sure where the plot is going at the moment.
I'm about to start on this one too, I downloaded the sample chapter a while ago and thought that it looked interesting. I usually go for historical fiction & fantasy but have been veering towards contemporary stuff lately
Sue_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 15:22
nagel84
Forum Member

Made in Britain by Gavin James Bower - A novel centred around 3 teenagers growing up in a Northern town (Burnley) and really is quite excellent.
nagel84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 16:01
GiraffeGirl
Forum Member

I'm about to start on this one too, I downloaded the sample chapter a while ago and thought that it looked interesting. I usually go for historical fiction & fantasy but have been veering towards contemporary stuff lately
It's quite good so far. I'm just hopeful there will actually be a point to it all in the end1