Options

Explosion at Boston Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Cheetah666Cheetah666 Posts: 16,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if this attack has any connection to the cancellation of the annual Palestine marathon?
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    I once saw two police officers arresting two women for soliciting money from strangers to raise money for victims of Cannon Street Station accident. Turned out that they were indeed capitalising on the accident, according to local news reports days later. I still don't know how the police knew (the women looked like typical local fundraisers with red buckets), but good on them for taking action.

Presumably someone was suspicious and contacted the police who then tried to find out whether the organisation the women were claiming to work for was legit.
  • Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    I once saw two police officers arresting two women for soliciting money from strangers to raise money for victims of Cannon Street Station accident. Turned out that they were indeed capitalising on the accident, according to local news reports days later. I still don't know how the police knew (the women looked like typical local fundraisers with red buckets), but good on them for taking action.

A part of me feels like people have alot of blind faith in people claiming to help when such tragedies occur. I saw people RTing the tweet claiming they'll donate $1.00 for every RT they receive, within maybe half an hour to an hour of the news coming out about it - I think one person I saw RT it lives in Boston. I'd like to think they'd know what the official Boston marathon twitter account is but maybe thats unfair? on a basic level, of course when something awful like this happens and you see a quick way to supposedly help (esp. if it doesn't cost anything) then you'd happily do it, without wanting to question if its genuine.

Its pretty tasteless to change the name of your facebook page just to hope to get more 'likes'. I have a facebook page/group with only 42 'likes' but I'd never do that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glowbot wrote: »
    I think she might be the one who died. :(

Also, that Saudi kid just seems to have been a (injured) bystander that got tackled because he was dark skinned, wtf.
    Yeah that's what I thought re your second point . He was probably running like **** to escape (as you would) and obviously people got suspicious
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    Presumably someone was suspicious and contacted the police who then tried to find out whether the organisation the women were claiming to work for was legit.

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member

I think it's fairly safe to assume that if it's a terrorist attack, it's not from any political pressure group, as the MO of a traditional terrorist group would have seen someone claim responsibility by now (there's no point causing terror if you haven't linked it to your cause in the public psyche!).

This sounds like something more of retribution attack rather than something to highlight a campaign.
  • Options
    gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw some of those photo's, INCREDIBLY harrowing stuff :(
  • Options
    skipjack79skipjack79 Posts: 3,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Federal investigators have been removing items from a house they're searching in Boston, the owner being a 'Abdul Rahman Ali Alharbi', who is the same man under guard at the hospital. Looks like they may have a lead.
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skipjack79 wrote: »
    Federal investigators have been removing items from a house they're searching in Boston, the owner being a 'Abdul Rahman Ali Alharbi', who is the same man under guard at the hospital. Looks like they may have a lead.

Where did you get that info from?
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,965
    Forum Member
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    I think it's fairly safe to assume that if it's a terrorist attack, it's not from any political pressure group, as the MO of a traditional terrorist group would have seen someone claim responsibility by now (there's no point causing terror if you haven't linked it to your cause in the public psyche!).

This sounds like something more of retribution attack rather than something to highlight a campaign.
    It does sound like a McVeigh or Unabomber character. But then we thought that about those Toulouse shootings and that turned out to be an Islamist sympathiser.
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fox News.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's appeared on a few websites, including Fox News,
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Boston Globe ‏@BostonGlobe 8m
    Here's our full coverage of the #BostonMarathon explosions, available to all readers. http://b.globe.com/1701xZs
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I know it's Fox news but they are reporting the same.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/04/16/explosion-reported-near-finish-line-boston-marathon-spokesman-says/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,735
    Forum Member
    For the idiot that put up the graphic pictures without a warning can he/she get a ban please.

I have been trying to stay away from these images and I don't think I'm the only one.

I would never normally call for a ban but this is sick and some people seem to thrive on others misery in these forums.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jzee wrote: »

sorry...wouldn't trust fox news at all
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    11/11? You mean 9/11 (or 11/9 if you wanna be pedantic).

Has anyone here mentioned the conspiracy theory doing the rounds - the photo of the shadowy man on the roof?

http://www.examiner.com/article/mystery-man-on-roof-viral-photo-of-boston-marathon-bombings-spurs-twitter-talk

Also, any reports of Muslims "celebrating" in the streets of the Middle East at the attacks?

Yes, saw those.

One possibility is that it was someone there up to no good. Perhaps related to the explosions. Or it could've been someone who was watching the marathon from a good vantage point. Or someone with a bit of garden on his roof, enjoying the sunshine. Or...who knows?

We all want instant answers these days. The police need to do some investigating first.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member

I always think it's better to stick with CNN or BBC. They'll release information, if and only if, it is confirmed to be true. Too many media establishments speculate before they know the facts 100%.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The BBC is also reporting that Boston police have issued a search warrant for the house in the Revere district.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22162884
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The BBC is also reporting that Boston police have issued a search warrant for the house in the Revere district.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22162884

Thank you.

I generally wait until the BBC or even SKY report items as Fox news has a sensationalist agenda
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you.

I generally wait until the BBC or even SKY report items as Fox news has a sensationalist agenda

Indeed. And I don't doubt they'll be positively foaming at the mouth that the suspect has a "foreign" sounding name..
  • Options
    habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if its a nutter that could have been turned down for a place in the race?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Boston Globe has been giving considered and non-sensational info.

It is reporting that early indications suggest a domestic attack

http://bostonglobe.com/metro/2013/04/16/boston-marathon-bombings-raise-speculation-about-home-grown-terrorism/okWEmSPikYzYn4PMxEi1eN/story.html
This discussion has been closed.