Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Who was Alan Partridge based on?

Old 28-04-2013, 20:53
Bungitin
Forum Member

I think he's based on an amalgamation of people. Nick Owen from Anne and Nick and now to be found on BBC Midlands news always seems slighty Partridgesque to me
Looking at him that way, yes.
Bungitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 29-04-2013, 09:48
dpb
Forum Member

I've heard Tony Wilson was an inspiration, not sure how true that is though. I don't think he's based on Richard Madeley, as I seem to remember Coogan saying the things Madeley says are TOO ridiculous for Partridge!
In the mid 2000s I used to listen regularly to (the excellent) radio shows that Tony Wilson did and in between then watched him occasionally on Granada Reports and he did remind me sometimes of Partridge, especially on the TV. Although I thought that might be because I saw Steve Coogan play Tony before I ever properly heard Tony himself and it's all fused in my mind.

Although there was the time I saw Tony come out of a news report, reference it, give a fact and say "of course that's a debate for another time" which I thought was very Partridge-esque although was very funny.
dpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 16:01
Cake Or Death
Forum Member

In the mid 2000s I used to listen regularly to (the excellent) radio shows that Tony Wilson did and in between then watched him occasionally on Granada Reports and he did remind me sometimes of Partridge, especially on the TV. Although I thought that might be because I saw Steve Coogan play Tony before I ever properly heard Tony himself and it's all fused in my mind.

Although there was the time I saw Tony come out of a news report, reference it, give a fact and say "of course that's a debate for another time" which I thought was very Partridge-esque although was very funny.
His introduction of Joy Division on Granada Reports sounds pretty Partridgey too. "They're a Manchester band, with the exception of the guitarist who comes from Salford- very important difference.." Unfortunately I've never seen the original only the reenactment in Closer but it cracked me up and was pure Wilson/Partridge.
I had no idea he had a radio show, I would have loved to have heard it. He was a great character and gave us some cracking music!
Cake Or Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 11:28
KB1984
Forum Member

I think the character of Alan certainly evolved. He started off as a parody of sports commentators/presenters (first on radio show 'On The Hour' and then it's TV version 'The Day Today') who felt the need to talk for talkings sake/ hadn't a clue what was going on i.e. Peter Alliss, Jim Rosenthal, David Coleman etc

His personality evolved and grew as time went on and when the character became a chatshow host and DJ, elements from people like Tony Wilson, Fred Dineage, Richard Madeley and Jeremy Clarkson came into play.

So he still has the sports commentators voice but as his personality expanded so did the range of people he was spoofing (including Coogan himself )
KB1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 11:32
bryemycaz
Forum Member

Alan Partridge is based on a Radio Norfolk DJ called Wally Webb

If you Google both their names an article with them both photographed is there, sorry but cant do the link at the moment.

Here's the BBC link with a video.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23442234
bryemycaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 12:08
KB1984
Forum Member

Richard Madeley IS Alan

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=415609 some of these gems really are Alan.

As for how he views himself, he is just as delusional he describes himself as a "...ruthless investigative journalist - like Paxman"
Old 15-08-2013, 14:38
denial_orstupid
Inactive Member

OOooo, that's harsh! Whatever the age difference and no matter how much of a turnip-head Madeley might be, he clearly loves Judy.
its eight years and nowhere near old enough to be his grandmother .
ridiculous comment from op
denial_orstupid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 18:35
blackoil
Forum Member

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...Partridge.html
blackoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 20:03
Vodka_Drinka
Forum Member

Vodka_Drinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 21:03
Hotgossip
Forum Member

Lynn: "Alan, can I just say, you've popped out".

Alan "oh sorry Lynn" (adjusting his shorts) "that wasn't deliberate".

Hotgossip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2013, 17:22
KB1984
Forum Member

Alan's voice actually changes quite a bit from 'On The Hour' to it's TV version 'The Day Today'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-6FKK0Pw6g cockney, working class Alan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYdbanbEAYk the more familiar Alan voice
Old 16-08-2013, 19:52
Honestweegie
Forum Member

One of Smashy and Nicey was definitely based on Freeman IIRC.
and Tony Blackburn
Honestweegie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2013, 22:30
Ria Vega
Forum Member

I can't be the only person who thinks Alan Partridge is actually based on Steve Coogan?
Ria Vega is offline   Reply With Quote